Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
courtneystorrie

My Accutane Journey: Ready To Feel Confident.

HI everyone! My name is Courtney, I'm 21 years old, and today is my first day on Accutane!

Pre-Accutane:

Alright, so I guess my little pre-tane story starts from when I was 15. In my very early teen years I was getting myself into trouble, doing hard drugs, drinking alot, but when I turned 15 I decided to quit the drugs cold turkey. Within a few weeks my skin began to show signs of acne. At first it wasn't all that bad, a pimple here or there, you know? I figured if I washed my face more and changed my diet that it would go away. It didn't. Ever since then it has only contiued to get worse and worse, turning into cystic acne.

Throughout the years I've tried a numerous amount of concotions. Lotions, face-washs, pills, creams, hell, I even gave pro-active a try. Nothing seemed to help.

Naturally, I was born with a low spectrum of autism which specifies with hypersensitivity so little things can easily irritate me, this being one of them. This problem along with the acne have greatly hurt my life, the two of them combining to make me feel absolutely horrid about myself at times, having breakdowns, and forcing me to stay in my house. I'm only 21 years old, this is my time so live!

I'd heard about accutane about a year ago and began looking into it, this forum actually being one of the first things I found when reading up on it. I've read the logs and took in the precausions of it and finally decided to give it a go.

NOW:

Today is my first day and even though I've read the blogs and all the information on accutane, i'm still fearful.

My doctor put me on 20mg to start with.

I'm probably just freaking myself out and thinking about it too much, but it feels as though I can feel my acne becoming itchy, as well as my body. Not sure if that's normal or not seeing as how this is only my first day.

I haven't picked up my moisterizers, lip balm, or vasaline yet (have to do that tomorrow) but I do have other things to keep me tied over until tomorrow.

From looking at the forum, what I've decided to pick up is

1. Aquaphor

2. Cetaphil Moisterizer

3. Vasaline (for my nose)

If there is anything else you guys can advise, that would be great!

Also, I've decided to quit smoking as well and cutting out Soda, candy, and fried foods. I'm going for a complete haul on the negative things in my life.

The number 1 problem I feel like I'm going to have is with not touching. I've been a big picker/popper (that having to do with my hypersensitivity). I've already got scarring and I really don't want any more, so if you guys have any advice of things to do to help me with that, that would be great also.

BUT... I think I'm going to wrap this up for now, I think that's all I've had on my mind. Anyone that's willing to talk and converse about their journeys and other such thing I am completely open to. I need all the help I can right now, I'm a pretty nervous person lol.

Thanks so much for listening!

ps. I would post pictures right now, but I'm still a little comfortable and upset after taking some earlier and realizing how bad it was so maybe once I start seeing some difference I will post a before and after :)

I also forgot to mention that my acne isn't solely on my face, it's made its way down to my chest/back/upper arms :(

Hi Courtney, I am Katie! Welcome to the Accutane forums! Congrats on starting Accutane. I understand completely how nerve-wracking it is to start this drug. I am in my fourth month and I endured a pretty crappy initial breakout. It lasted almost three months. If there's any advice I can give you right now I'd start with stay as patient as possible. This was the hardest thing for me when things were really bad. I seriously didn't think that things were ever going to get better, and that acne would be a part of my life forever. But I hung in there, and here I am in my fourth month pretty much clear! Also, I know exactly what it's like to be a picker/popper. I wish I had advice on how to stop that.

I wish you luck on your course & I will be following you! Everyone on this forum is extremely nice & helpful, it's a great place to come to during treatment! :)

Thanks so much Katie! It's definitely nerve-wracking but I am so over having this horrible skin that I'm up for the challenge. I'm really glad I found this forum because I don't know anyone else around me that has taken this particular drug so it's nice to be able to talk to people and get an understanding of how it's going to go. I've actually been reading your log too! Congratulations btw on your fourth month!

Good luck on your course! I am also starting on 20mg and am on day 11 I think. I have to say I think my skin has got worse a bit, bits I knew were lurking under the skin seem to be coming up, joys.

I just thought I would mention that I am also a terrible picker, but I have quite long nails and recently I decided to shape them flatter as opposed to curved (I dont know if you know what I mean exactly, but just sort of square off the ends) and I've found it hella difficult to pick now. Random idea :)

Anywayyys, I will follow your log and I hope it all goes well!

Guest *Spiro*

Hey Courtney! My name is Betsy, I am half through month 4 and on 60 MG but I started at 40 MG. I was really scared when I started the tane also. Which is why I turned to this forum. It has been a huge help and I honestly wouldn't be where I am now without it. I have made some great friends on here and we all chat daily and compare our progress which has been very helpful. Not to mention the emotionally support that I have with all these people. Nicest place ever, and everyone knows what you are going through. I am like you and had no one to talk to about the accutane who has been on it before. So naturally I googled accutane and ended up here :)

You will find that as days go by and you being to understand how Accutane effects you, you will become more comfortable with it and it will not be so scary. Anything you have questions about you can turn to the log and chances are one of us have experienced the same thing. So it is easy to see if what you are going through is normal or not.

Best advice is what Katie said to you. Patience is key! I was breaking out into my 4th month. I mean there was progress, but I was and still am getting new acne. It was worse before it was better. My IB started at about week 3 and like I said went into month 4. It can get discouraging at times. Just keep at it and push through!

Clear dreaming gave really good advice with the picking. If you get fake nail and get them square tipped it is really hard to pick! Really hard! I am a popper as well and I have been popping these things my whole course. Stupid I know, but I can't help it. I can't walk around with big ol white heads. Now I am wishing that I would have gotten fake nails and that may have helped out a bit... Anywho, best of luck to you and let me know if you have any questions or need to talk or anything :)

Good luck on your course! I am also starting on 20mg and am on day 11 I think. I have to say I think my skin has got worse a bit, bits I knew were lurking under the skin seem to be coming up, joys.

I just thought I would mention that I am also a terrible picker, but I have quite long nails and recently I decided to shape them flatter as opposed to curved (I dont know if you know what I mean exactly, but just sort of square off the ends) and I've found it hella difficult to pick now. Random idea smile.png

Anywayyys, I will follow your log and I hope it all goes well!

That's definitely one of my main concerns, the initial breakout, but I guess it's worth it if it's going to help in the end!

And ah, that totally makes sence.. I'm definitely going to be doing that to my nails. I was also thinking of getting my fake nails again because during the time that I had them, they were thick and flat at the ends so I couldn't pick at all.

Thank you for replying and following <3

Hey Courtney! My name is Betsy, I am half through month 4 and on 60 MG but I started at 40 MG. I was really scared when I started the tane also. Which is why I turned to this forum. It has been a huge help and I honestly wouldn't be where I am now without it. I have made some great friends on here and we all chat daily and compare our progress which has been very helpful. Not to mention the emotionally support that I have with all these people. Nicest place ever, and everyone knows what you are going through. I am like you and had no one to talk to about the accutane who has been on it before. So naturally I googled accutane and ended up here smile.png

You will find that as days go by and you being to understand how Accutane effects you, you will become more comfortable with it and it will not be so scary. Anything you have questions about you can turn to the log and chances are one of us have experienced the same thing. So it is easy to see if what you are going through is normal or not.

Best advice is what Katie said to you. Patience is key! I was breaking out into my 4th month. I mean there was progress, but I was and still am getting new acne. It was worse before it was better. My IB started at about week 3 and like I said went into month 4. It can get discouraging at times. Just keep at it and push through!

Clear dreaming gave really good advice with the picking. If you get fake nail and get them square tipped it is really hard to pick! Really hard! I am a popper as well and I have been popping these things my whole course. Stupid I know, but I can't help it. I can't walk around with big ol white heads. Now I am wishing that I would have gotten fake nails and that may have helped out a bit... Anywho, best of luck to you and let me know if you have any questions or need to talk or anything smile.png

Haha this is so crazy, because I replied to the post above yours before I read yours and actually responded to her how fake nails helped me with not picking before haha.

Thank you so much for your responce. It's really nice to know that my feelings right now are shared and helped with among others on this forum. It's taken me a long road to actually decide to get on the tane but I'm finally ready to do it and I'm glad I have this forum to come to with my concerns and just a general support.

I'll most definitely keep in contact and come to you if I have any questions.

I'm excited to make new friends that are going through this as well. :)

Best of luck, Courtney! I'll be following you as well, since I'm starting my course about the same time. I'm looking forward to having the support of others experiencing the same thing!

Quick question....are you on 20mg/day or 20mg twice/day? My dermatologist told me the dosage is based on weight. I'm about 115 and she said she was going to start me at 40mg/day and bump up to 60mg/day after the first couple of months. Just curious about you.

Hi Courtney! Welcome to the forums! I know it can be a scary thing to start taking Accutane. I was so hesitant to take my first pill! But, as Betsy said, you do get more comfortable with it.

I think you've got some good products to help you out during your course. Aquaphor is an absolute must-have. It's the only thing that actually lasts on my lips besides Bag Balm. It seems most of us on Accutane either use Cetaphil or CeraVe. So, if you find you aren't liking the Cetaphil, definitely check out CeraVe moisturizers. My skin hasn't been that dry, but I put CeraVe's Moisturizing Cream on any flaky patches.

Good luck on your course! We're all here to help if you have any questions!

As you can tell I just started accutane a few days back ,I have my IB since day 3 or 4 , it`s pretty bad ..

Anyway I will follow you're topic.

Best of luck!!

Best of luck, Courtney! I'll be following you as well, since I'm starting my course about the same time. I'm looking forward to having the support of others experiencing the same thing!

Quick question....are you on 20mg/day or 20mg twice/day? My dermatologist told me the dosage is based on weight. I'm about 115 and she said she was going to start me at 40mg/day and bump up to 60mg/day after the first couple of months. Just curious about you.

Thanks love! Best of luck to you as well! It's cool that so many people are starting around the same time as us so we'll all be able to follow eachother and see eachothers progress and how it differs from one person to another.

I'm on 20mg 2x/day (morning and night) so, 40mgs all together. I'm not going through a Derm, I'm actually going through my doctor but yes you are correct, it is usually by weight. my doctor said I am on a lower dosage because even though my skin is moderately bad, I have extremely light/sensitive skin. We're using this first month as a test to see how my skin handles it. :)

Hi Courtney! Welcome to the forums! I know it can be a scary thing to start taking Accutane. I was so hesitant to take my first pill! But, as Betsy said, you do get more comfortable with it.

I think you've got some good products to help you out during your course. Aquaphor is an absolute must-have. It's the only thing that actually lasts on my lips besides Bag Balm. It seems most of us on Accutane either use Cetaphil or CeraVe. So, if you find you aren't liking the Cetaphil, definitely check out CeraVe moisturizers. My skin hasn't been that dry, but I put CeraVe's Moisturizing Cream on any flaky patches.

Good luck on your course! We're all here to help if you have any questions!

Hey rachel, thanks for commenting. I actually just read some of your log last night! Congratulations on your journey so far! I was definitely hesitant but just decided to go for it!

I'll most definitely check out the CeraVe moisturizer if I'm not totally in love with the Cetaphil. Cetaphil is usually my go to for a cleaner so We'll see how it goes. I've actually been using Spectro-Jel as my cleanser since yesterday because I haven't had the money to go grab anything and it seems to be very light on my skin and doesn't irritate it. I'm only on day 2 so not much has changed really.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions as I go along ahah.

Good luck, I am starting soon and I hope that you get success and as little problems as possible, heres to all of us doing well and acheiving clear skin.

Good luck to you to my dear! I'll be waiting to hear hour your journey goes as well! Let's all hope we're accutane success stories with little to none problems! Fingers crossed hahah!

As you can tell I just started accutane a few days back ,I have my IB since day 3 or 4 , it`s pretty bad ..

Anyway I will follow you're topic.

Best of luck!!

Ahhh! I've heard IB's completely suckk! That's one thing I'm nervous about! My skin got pretty bad this week, especially around my chin/jawline (it's where my acne focuses mainly, my cheeks and up being virtually untouched!) I really hope you start clearning up soon and I hope you're not in too much pain! Good luck my dear <3

Thank you guys all so much for responding!! It's day 2 and I just took my pills for this morning. Didn't wake up with any problems, no dry lips, my skin still feels the same as yesterday, so lets hope I'm just one of those people that skips over the IB and just starts healing up haha. I've been doing my best at not picking last night/today and have done alright i guess. One whitehead just HAD to go.. its horrible, i know! But yeah, no real difference from yesterday to today! No news is good news i suppose? hahah

Thanks everyone for being so nice and helpful, it really means alot.

Hey!

I am also on 20mg everyday for 5 months. When I started, my skin felt itchy and sensitive too! But it all subsided within a couple of weeks. The side effects are not too bad with 20mg but hey everyone is different. I get dry lips but they can easily be fixed with some lip balm. Overall, my progress has been slow but steady. I am praying everything turns out okay. Good luck with your treatment!!

So it's the end of day 2 and I thought I'd give a little update :)

Today and yesterday have been good. Obviously there isn't any progress quite yet being day 2 and all but I have noticed a few things

1: My lips started drying out halfway through the day. Not horrible but just a slight bit that my Labello Regular Lip Treatment didn't take care of right away, so thats good.

2: I noticed that I felt a bit sick/faint in the middle of the day, not sure if that's a side effect or just me not feeling well but I thought I would make a note of it.

3: Not sure if this is normal or not but I noticed that the scabbiness/flaked skin from a few actives I had gotten about a day or 2 before I started came off by just me rubbing my hands over my face. If it was just one I'd figure that it was just because it was healing but it happened on about four or five of them. Like I said, not sure if that's normal or not but maybe someone here could tell me.

4: A lot of the bumps that were under the skin before taking tane have surfaced. Not sure if this is the IB everyone talks about or what it is? They don't hurt or anything Just whiteheads (which I admit, I have put pressure on to release! Bad Courtney, I know!) But yeah.

And lastly.

5: I feel like my skin is tighter, I guess that's the expression... I don't know it feels less oily/greasy and I was even sweating for about 4 hours while moving my house around. Again, not sure.

Literally all of this could and probably is in my head but I thought I'd mention everything and see what you guys thought. It's only day 2 and I don't think it would be working this quickly.

Thanks for listening guys, I'll be sure to check in the morning to see what you guys have to say!

Much Love, Courtney :)

Hey!

I am also on 20mg everyday for 5 months. When I started, my skin felt itchy and sensitive too! But it all subsided within a couple of weeks. The side effects are not too bad with 20mg but hey everyone is different. I get dry lips but they can easily be fixed with some lip balm. Overall, my progress has been slow but steady. I am praying everything turns out okay. Good luck with your treatment!!

Hey, nice to meet you! How far along are you into your course? I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that got itchy the first couple days. Itchiness has been a big thing the last two days and it's driving me crazy. My hypersensitivity has been no help in that factor. I thought that maybe taking a oatmeal bath might help with that, have you tried it before? Definitely going to have to look for your log! Good luck with your treatment too!

One thing I do at home that keeps my hands off my spots is layering savlon/ sudocrem on them to the point where they're pretty covered my the cream- I can't see them and it masks the redness, but at the same time I'm telling myself I'm putting something over them that's helping them to heal :) Ofc I only do this if there's no one I intend to see that day! :P

Hey guyyyys! So I'm on day five, and to be honest I'm actually really surprised. What I thought before was incorrect, I'm not dealing with dry lips, that was just me freaking out a bit about everything and licking my lips too much haha.

Most of my actives have already been healing up. It's strange, I'm hoping this means that I'm going to skip the IB and go straight to healing. I've only noticed one under the skin bump since starting which is crazy since usually I have about 2-3 new ones every other day. I've been doing okay with the picking but still have a hard time with it..

I honestly didn't think things would be so good already. My face hasn't really been oily at all even after going out dancing last night.

The only non positive thing I have noticed is that my skin has become a little redder than normal (which could also have to do with the fact that ive been quite itchy the last few days) but yeah, nothing that a little foundation doesn't cover. All in all, i've had no side effects and I'm actually feeling pretty good.

I'm going camping this weekend so I probably won't be giving an update until about monday.

Initially I was extremely nervous but now after being on it for almost a week I've had nothing but good results and I feel great. Thank you to everyone that's commented and answered my questions you've really put me at ease <3

I'll talk to you guys next week! Enjoy your weekends!

xoxo Court.

Courtney, way to go! Glad to hear you are already healing. I just got started today! I'm looking forward to tracking our progress together.

~bodyandsoul

Ahhh! I am so excited for you my dear. I'm glad we're able to do this together. I really hope you feel as good as I am right now. And if you're not just know you can come to me for some cheering up <3

Guest *Spiro*

Hey guyyyys! So I'm on day five, and to be honest I'm actually really surprised. What I thought before was incorrect, I'm not dealing with dry lips, that was just me freaking out a bit about everything and licking my lips too much haha.

Most of my actives have already been healing up. It's strange, I'm hoping this means that I'm going to skip the IB and go straight to healing. I've only noticed one under the skin bump since starting which is crazy since usually I have about 2-3 new ones every other day. I've been doing okay with the picking but still have a hard time with it..

I honestly didn't think things would be so good already. My face hasn't really been oily at all even after going out dancing last night.

The only non positive thing I have noticed is that my skin has become a little redder than normal (which could also have to do with the fact that ive been quite itchy the last few days) but yeah, nothing that a little foundation doesn't cover. All in all, i've had no side effects and I'm actually feeling pretty good.

I'm going camping this weekend so I probably won't be giving an update until about monday.

Initially I was extremely nervous but now after being on it for almost a week I've had nothing but good results and I feel great. Thank you to everyone that's commented and answered my questions you've really put me at ease <3

xoxo Court.

Hey Courtney day 5 already!! Crazy how much time is flying by. I remember my first month dragged on, everyday mattered so much to me! After I got over the fact I was on the medication and I knew how it was affecting me the time passed by so much faster.

The dry lips, boy oh boy. Mine dried out quickly. About week 2 mine started and just got worse and worse everyday. Honestly there is no stopping it from happening. Other products work better than others that is for sure. I only use Aquaphor and Bag balm those last the longest and provide most healing. I think all the products out there will just maintain your lips at a pretty chapped level. My lips have never felt like this before and I take amazing care of my lips. It is just something that can't be avoided. I try never to lick my lips or anything, that just makes things worse. Best of luck with that!!

Have fun camping!!!!!

xoxo Court.

Hey Courtney day 5 already!! Crazy how much time is flying by. I remember my first month dragged on, everyday mattered so much to me! After I got over the fact I was on the medication and I knew how it was affecting me the time passed by so much faster.

The dry lips, boy oh boy. Mine dried out quickly. About week 2 mine started and just got worse and worse everyday. Honestly there is no stopping it from happening. Other products work better than others that is for sure. I only use Aquaphor and Bag balm those last the longest and provide most healing. I think all the products out there will just maintain your lips at a pretty chapped level. My lips have never felt like this before and I take amazing care of my lips. It is just something that can't be avoided. I try never to lick my lips or anything, that just makes things worse. Best of luck with that!!

Have fun camping!!!!!

Hey hun!!! I know, Day 7 now and I am super excited, instead of dragging on it actually feels like things are going extremely fast!

Ahh, after the camping trip dry lips have definitely set in haha. I'm a really bad licker, I did it even before I was on accutane so my lips feel absolutely rediculous right now ahhaha. Gah, it's horrible. I haven't had the time to go get any aquaphor yet so I've been sticking to my medicated lip balm and it's doing okay so far lol. Lips still feel weird.

As for camping, I was out in the sun literally all day (with tons of sunscreen) and I didn't burn at all!!!! I was super excited because for one, I am like... albino. When I usually camp I burn and then legit peel back to white but this camping trip I got some nice color! Not so white anymore! YAYYY! hahah.

The only other thing is that my skin has been getting really itchy and flaky (I forgot to bring my lotion.. oops.) But other than the lips and the itchyness things have been fine..!

Here is a picture of me from this weekend (with make up on)

252763_10151901254900556_479481931_n.jpg

I'm obviously the super pale kid hahaha. But yeah, mostly just bumps, no new actives, and the rest are all healing (lots fo red marks still from me picking)

Hope everyone had an awesome weekend xoxoxo

How are things going miss courtney?!?!

Hey love! As positive as things have been going the past week it's not day 9 and things have been kinda horrible. I think my IB is starting.. all the little bumps that were underneath the skin are now coming up. Nothing I can't handle because I've been dealing with acne for years not, but theres one large bump underneath the skin right where my glasses sit on my nose and it's extremely painful.

Also, I've been drying up ALOT, and I'm horrible with remembering to moisterize. sad.png My lips are starting to crack alot more and I got sunburnt on my back yesterday so I've been in a lot of pain. Not to mention that I slipped on something outside of the 7-11 here in town and my whole right calf/foot are horribly scrapped and cut.

So yeah, the last couple days HAVEN'T been easy but I'll pull through.

Unfortunately I'm thinking the pills have been effecting my mental health as well because I've suddenly become in the last two days extremely depressed. I don't feel like doing anything or talking to people. It's horrible because naturally (As I'm sure you've noticed so far) I've been an extremely positive and happy person. I'm going to call my doctor and make an appointment just to make sure everythings going okay. I just really hate feeling like this. It's not fun at all and I feel I have no control over my emotions..

It could also be because of the heat though, we've been up in the 30's all week, so only time can tell..

Hhaha, but anyways, other than that little rant, How are you my dear? How's everything going with your progress <3

Aww, Courtney, I'm so sorry you're having a tough time right now! Try to stay calm and think about how early you are in this process and that things WILL improve!

Aww, Courtney, I'm so sorry you're having a tough time right now! Try to stay calm and think about how early you are in this process and that things WILL improve!

Thanks hun! My mood is feeling alot better today. I just woke up and felt alright. Everything else such as side effects and whatnot I can handle, but not being able to control my emotions yesterday was really uncomfortable for me!

thanks though hun! How is your course going? I've been really slack with reading logs the last couple days xoxoxo