Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Wabbit

Post-Paleo Worries...

So, I'm only on day six of my "paleo" diet, and I'm planning on being super strict with it for a month, since I'm going on vacation to Europe in August and I want to be able to enjoy all of the cultural foods there. However, is it possible that after a month of eating no grains, dairy, etc. my body will react negatively if I immediately re-introduce them? I want to enjoy European foods, but I also don't want to spend my entire vacation in the bathroom. :P

It probably depends a lot on your individual situation. If you remove things you are allergic/intolerant to, and then suddenly add them back in, yes you could have a strong reaction. If you have leaky gut (basically the same situation) and add things back in while still healing, you could have a negative reaction. I doubt in either of those cases it would be the sort of reaction that would leave you stuck in the bathroom, though. But for example, I ate rice for years without any problems, and gave it up because I was seeking more vibrant health and wanted to eat mostly raw foods. After six months, I tried a plate of rice and felt sick, broke out really bad etc. My system had gotten used to the light raw diet and couldn't handle rice anymore. I REALLY want to get rice back one day, after awhile I am going to try reintroducing it again in tiny amounts and see what happens.

That's just an example of how it can happen, I'm not saying it'll happen to you and probably not after only a month. Do you have food intolerances?

Well, not that I know of; that's why I'm trying to do the one month thing and see if it makes any difference. However, I suffer from some gut problems (TMI: chronic constipation), which leads me to believe that there is something wrong internally.

Thank you for the input though. :)

By the way, I doubt you'll have a hard time sticking to mostly Paleo while traveling, if you choose to. Meat and veggies are available almost anywhere. Maybe by the time the month is over you'll be feeling so much better that whatever European foods that might cause a problem won't look so appealing anymore. There is so much more to traveling an experiencing other cultures than just the food, so if you end up not being able to eat certain things, don't worry. I'm sure you'll have an awesome time. I'm jealous. :)

Well, not that I know of; that's why I'm trying to do the one month thing and see if it makes any difference. However, I suffer from some gut problems (TMI: chronic constipation), which leads me to believe that there is something wrong internally.

Thank you for the input though. smile.png

Processes throughout your entire body have an effect on the digestive system, so don't fall into thinking that your issue ONLY comes from a bacterial imbalance or a loss of integrity in the gut wall.

How's your body temperature? I've been looking into how body temperature relates to health and it seems to me that body temperature is a reflection of metabolic health (which is a blanket term of which I'm not quite certain of the meaning)... in ways I'm not confident discussing, your body temperature can be an indicator of how food moves through the digestive system. Lower temperature means your food moves through your intestines slower, allows bacteria to grow in places it shouldn't, makes your stomach acid less potent, and basically doesn't allow your system to work like the well-oiled machine it should be.

While being on a meat/veggies/fruit diet did help with my constipation issues, I gained other problems probably from being calorically deficient. However, fruit could not make me full for a long time, and if I ate more meat than I was eating, I'd probably throw up... I avoided starch because I thought that would slow things down in terms of digestive healing. Whenever I did eat a moderate amount of starch, things would get backed up.

I've had lifelong constipation, and a low body temperature almost always. I didn't think the two could be related.

When I started eating lots of starch in addition to lots of everything else, my body temperature heightened. Progress didn't happen like I would have expected...I did get constipated...but whatever did come out was smooth which was new to me, and an indicator that food wasn't taking forever to go through my system. So I carried on. Long story short, as I continue eating this way, my constipation seems to be getting better as my body warms up (indicating that other processes in my body are working better, I'd imagine).

Here is a little bit more information that probably explains things a bit better: http://180degreeheal...4/the-gaps-diet

My advice for your Europe situation? Just relax and eat whatever. It's a vacation, don't stress about it (unless you have a severe allergy to something). I think you'll find you'll be pleasantly surprised by your body's reactions, or lack thereof. Apparently, in the US, gluten in bread is like super gluten thanks to our ongoing science experiments we're doing to ourselves...but in Europe, I've heard it's better. Some people have posted on this board that gluten containing foods from countries in Europe don't affect them like they do in the US. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Knowing what I know now from my own experience, I wouldn't try to be restrictive until after the European trip, should you decide to forgo caution and eat extravagantly tongue.png

Being restrictive can create intolerances on it's own which you can mistake for issues with digestion, when in reality it's probably because your body is not functioning optimally.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary

Thank you for the input though. smile.png

Processes throughout your entire body have an effect on the digestive system, so don't fall into thinking that your issue ONLY comes from a bacterial imbalance or a loss of integrity in the gut wall.

How's your body temperature? I've been looking into how body temperature relates to health and it seems to me that body temperature is a reflection of metabolic health (which is a blanket term of which I'm not quite certain of the meaning)... in ways I'm not confident discussing, your body temperature can be an indicator of how food moves through the digestive system. Lower temperature means your food moves through your intestines slower, allows bacteria to grow in places it shouldn't, makes your stomach acid less potent, and basically doesn't allow your system to work like the well-oiled machine it should be.

While being on a meat/veggies/fruit diet did help with my constipation issues, I gained other problems probably from being calorically deficient. However, fruit could not make me full for a long time, and if I ate more meat than I was eating, I'd probably throw up... I avoided starch because I thought that would slow things down in terms of digestive healing. Whenever I did eat a moderate amount of starch, things would get backed up.

I've had lifelong constipation, and a low body temperature almost always. I didn't think the two could be related.

When I started eating lots of starch in addition to lots of everything else, my body temperature heightened. Progress didn't happen like I would have expected...I did get constipated...but whatever did come out was smooth which was new to me, and an indicator that food wasn't taking forever to go through my system. So I carried on. Long story short, as I continue eating this way, my constipation seems to be getting better as my body warms up (indicating that other processes in my body are working better, I'd imagine).

Here is a little bit more information that probably explains things a bit better: http://180degreeheal...4/the-gaps-diet

My advice for your Europe situation? Just relax and eat whatever. It's a vacation, don't stress about it (unless you have a severe allergy to something). I think you'll find you'll be pleasantly surprised by your body's reactions, or lack thereof. Apparently, in the US, gluten in bread is like super gluten thanks to our ongoing science experiments we're doing to ourselves...but in Europe, I've heard it's better. Some people have posted on this board that gluten containing foods from countries in Europe don't affect them like they do in the US. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Knowing what I know now from my own experience, I wouldn't try to be restrictive until after the European trip, should you decide to forgo caution and eat extravagantly tongue.png

Being restrictive can create intolerances on it's own which you can mistake for issues with digestion, when in reality it's probably because your body is not functioning optimally.

Just my 2 cents.

Grr, there's so many conflicting opinions everywhere. c_c Haha, it can be confusing sometimes... but of course, I appreciate your input a lot! But if you added grains back into your diet, how exactly did your new diet differ from your old one? I never ate a lot of junk food to begin with (only birthdays or parties), and I never drink soda at all. So what would the changes to my diet consist of? As far as body temperature goes, I don't have a good thermometer at home and I don't know exactly what mine is. It's an interesting theory, though.

Grr, there's so many conflicting opinions everywhere. c_c Haha, it can be confusing sometimes... but of course, I appreciate your input a lot! But if you added grains back into your diet, how exactly did your new diet differ from your old one? I never ate a lot of junk food to begin with (only birthdays or parties), and I never drink soda at all. So what would the changes to my diet consist of? As far as body temperature goes, I don't have a good thermometer at home and I don't know exactly what mine is. It's an interesting theory, though.

Such is life in the world of nutrition. The more you learn, the less you know, haha.

The only grain I've added back in is rice. I don't eat bread...only sourdough bread very occasionally. How the way I eat now differs from my old ways is that I don't really eat bread anymore, which is a complete 180 from my last diet where every meal was pretty bread heavy... I don't drink soda, or juice... I tend to avoid cookies, candy, cupcakes, cakes, and other foods with a lot of calories and little nutrients. A lot more of what I eat is unrefined, in a nutshell.

You can check your temperature superficially...are your hands and feet usually cold? Ears? Nose? Do they get cold very easily? A thermometer isn't necessary, but could be helpful.

I was also chronically cold and constipated my whole life. Most of it reversed once I was gluten free, though. I think the autoimmune damage to my thyroid had a lot to do with it.

It probably depends a lot on your individual situation. If you remove things you are allergic/intolerant to, and then suddenly add them back in, yes you could have a strong reaction. If you have leaky gut (basically the same situation) and add things back in while still healing, you could have a negative reaction. I doubt in either of those cases it would be the sort of reaction that would leave you stuck in the bathroom, though. But for example, I ate rice for years without any problems, and gave it up because I was seeking more vibrant health and wanted to eat mostly raw foods. After six months, I tried a plate of rice and felt sick, broke out really bad etc. My system had gotten used to the light raw diet and couldn't handle rice anymore. I REALLY want to get rice back one day, after awhile I am going to try reintroducing it again in tiny amounts and see what happens.

That's just an example of how it can happen, I'm not saying it'll happen to you and probably not after only a month. Do you have food intolerances?

Were you ever able to eat rice again?

Were you ever able to eat rice again?

No. :( In fact I had to give even more foods up and go back on a hardcore gut healing regimen because my skin and health just kept getting worse and worse...