Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oldguy

30% Glycolic peel + minor sinkhole

I just did a 30% Glycolic peel and thought I would post something interesting about it that I noticed. The circled area, as well as some other places, kind of sunk in right after I did this! I only left the acid on for 3 minutes exactly too. My theory is that the stratum corneum, known as the "horny layer" biggrin.gif happened to be thin there, and it just simply sunk in. I did neutralize the square section though after 2 minutes because it immediately became red and was burning. Also, my skin is obviously very thin there.

I doubt this will actually peel, but I will increase by 1 minute each time I use it. I plan on using it about once a week, or as much as my skin can take. I am glad I didn’t opt for the 70% - I am probably too much of a p***y for that lol. Btw, my face is oily looking because I applied 100% jojoba right after the peel. I am not freaked out or anything about the sunken area, I was just wondering - has anyone ever noticed this happening before with a peel?

user posted image

thats funny mate, can you do this stuff right at home? Isn't that kinda dangerous i mean burning skin right off your face.. But though I would be willing to try this too. Would it be a problem if the acne is still active?

Your skin looks pretty ok, you don't have deep picks as i do. good for you..

he you got the same kinda stretch marks as i do left above the mouth. because of old acne there there are look alike wrinkles forming.

Yeah it can definitely be dangerous. I have educated myself though about chemical peels so I'm not worried. Most peels actually help acne so it's usually not a problem. TCA peels can sometimes cause a breakout - I never heard of any other type that can, though.

Update: the redness mostly went away the first hour. I think I should have gotten a 70% Glycolic peel and mixed it with water, so I could have stepped up the % as needed. Oh well, I can always stick with my plan and just take the 100% TCA ninja.gif I also got, and add 9 parts water. One more thing I thought of: I am used to lactic and other gel or cream based meds, but this acid is liquid and I could easily imagine it running down your chin or arm. I also have found a use for the rolls of clear tape that some of you lurkers also own. lol. I can tape up my sensitive lower jaw Nazca lines looking tic-tac-toe area for part of the peel time.

All peels can cause a breakouts, either through irritation or from bringing an already emerging zit to the surface through the act of peeling. As for seeing a "sinkhole," I've heard of this from other posters and it seems that MOST get better with time.

As for GA I just cant stand that stuff, any redness to me is bad even if its just for a couple of hours. I like LA peels instead.

Also, its the pH not that precentage of the peel that effects the strength.

you just do this on your own at home, and 30 % .. omg .. anyway the link was dead about the peelstuff (tca etc) . Where could i get this kind of stuff anyways? when i google for it in the netherlands it only shows up dermatologists annd pedicure people who do this. Just want to do it at home to. I don't like people to see me going over the streets with skin hanging off of my face wink.gif

I got this peel at peelsondemand.com

Some other places are

loganwoodskincare.com

larachem.com

Update: My skin is a bit red and glowy. This is probably a good step up from lactic after all for my particular kind of skin. I shaved a while before applying this peel, I realize now that was probably retarded. Although, I didn't want to shave the day after, either. I will probably do this about every 4 days for a few months and see how it goes, and totally stop using Tazorac and lactic to give my skin a chance to heal in between.

No I don't use Copper Peptides. I have been thinking about getting some though but I am not convinced they are worth it. There is a patent from Procyte for GHK Copper Peptides that sells a brand called Neova, and they licensed the formula to Neutrogena. I am not even sure this formula is any good; much less the other ones people sell on the internet. I don't trust any sites that totally load you up with information and science and studies, but there isn't 1 thing that actually proves it will help human skin. You know the site I mean. wink.gif Copper is not a freaking precious metal so it's probably all just a rip-off. Rant: off. Caveat emptor

The GHK one is weak at best compared to the Skinbio one. There is a chart/graph out there on the web that compares all the copper products. I think the Neutrogena one has like .01% when Dr. Pickards has a MUCH higher concentration.

You dont like sites that post clinical studies to show just how effective their products may be.... eusa_think.gif

FYI: I never did well with CP...broke out

Oh no don't get me wrong, I LOVE sites that post clinical studies to show just how effective their products may be! The problem with copper peptides is their are about 100 studies, and I have yet to see one that proved the stuff helps human skin. The more I read about Copper Peptides, the more it sounds like bullshit. Oh, about GHK, that formula seems to have the best science behind it.

Update: The peel has uncovered some pimples and red marks - Nothing major. I say uncovered, but I am only assuming that. It could be a regular breakout, but I don't think it is.

As for GHK it was invented by the same guy who runs the skinbio site. It has the most publications but it was Pickart's 1st generation of copper peptides. Its a very fragile version, breaks down rapidly,

short acting, and most importantly cannot be used with peels. The ones that are now sold, Pickart's 2nd generation have overcome problems of the 1st generation CP's (GHK). Its very stable, breakdown resistant, and CAN be used with peels. The only downside is the role this 2nd gen plays on TGF beta which is essential against inflammation. At any rate all of these studys have been in vivo or on other animals and not humans...

oldguy, it does seem that your skin has sunken a little bit after the peel. Funny. Also, it might be my idea, but if you do peels for some time and then stop, giving your skin some time with no creams/acidic peels etc applied on it, skin improves even more (I think because the skin thickens or because the epidermis thickens, whatever). But still your skin has sunken a bit, perhaps it has something to do with the fillers? By the way, your skin looks very good in the first photo and slighty damaged in the second pic.

You have good analytical skills. I did check my post-Restylane pics and I didn't have any filler in that particular spot.

oldguy:

Thanks for posting those pictures. I am very interested in seeing people's results from different peels. I am going to be positive and say that hopefully the area you are concerned about that sunk in will only be temporary. I notice that after I do stronger peels, my skin needs a few days to recover, during which it *seems* that certain imperfections are magnified. Then, inexplicably, within a few days or weeks, they look better. It might have to do, like you said, with there being a weak spot there that needs to build itself up again. I'd hate to think that anything that we're doing to benefit and improve our skin, like a peel, could cause more problems, so I always try to stay positive that things will always get better with time. smile.gif

~Kat

My skin still isn't back to normal. I don't like 30% glycolic very much, it seems like it's just strong enough to make your skin look crappy, but probably not strong enough to really help do very much. I'm glad it was cheap. smile.gif I just used 100% TCA on a few spots, now THAT is a manly kind of peel.

I'll definitely agree with you there, oldguy. 40% glycolic acid is nice, but it's pretty much the same as if I slapped myself around in the face for a bit. I look a little red and maybe a tad shiny, but it's just not enough to do anything especially significant. It's good for a little skin pep-up, but for me, that's about all it does. I'm sure for others it's like putting red hot coals on their face. eek.gif

These strong peels (especially TCA) should only be done in-office by a professional. For someone doing this at home for the first time, please understand, you're playing with fire, an can do some real lasting damage to your skin.

These "sink holes" are not some side-effect that's not to be concerned with. They may get somewhat better with time, but you do not want a face full of indentations. Or a face full of broken capillaries (red veins that show through the skin).

Actually, it's illegal for these professional-grade peels to be sold to non-licensed individuals.

These strong peels (especially TCA) should only be done in-office by a professional ... Actually, it's illegal for these professional-grade peels to be sold to non-licensed individuals.