Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest LexieLo

I'm Absolutely Terrified...

Guest alex losee

Hi all! I may be beginning my tane' journey soon. I'm 24 and I've been fighting the acne battle for...forever? I've tried rein-a micro, doxy, epiduo, pretty much everything. My derm is recommending accutane and I'm absolutely terrified. First of all the price is a lot (my RX spending is all used up for my health insurance) but I have a great mom who is willing to help me out. Honestly, what I'm really worried about is the dry skin. I've read countless logs, and it seems that dry skin is a side effect that does happen to everyone. Here's the deal, I go to school for music, I perform. I work retail. No one is going to buy clothes from the freaky skin flake girl. How bad does it get? Can I still wear makeup? I can cover my nasty zits with makeup, but how bad will it get? I know it's something silly to be worked up over, there are so many side effects that are worse, but I am. Also, how bad is the fatigue?

I'd love some advice on this from you veterans.

Hey!

It's not silly at all to be concerned. My work and area of study has a lot of face to face contact as well so this had me terrified as well. I'm in my second month and couldn't be happier. I've been on everything and have kept my acne under control, but every year or so I would need to keep going to the next step in treatment. Now I decided to just take accutane and be done with it. The fact that I already was on retin a caused me to experience almost no initial breakout so hopefully that is your fate as well! Also, the side affects are overhyped. Most people experience only mild side affects. Just get a good moisturizer and lots of stuff for lips (aquahpor is the classic go-to). Read around and educate yourself as much as possible. With the help of people from this board, Ive had a great experience thus far. I credit the people of this site for that. They've helped me deal with every little obstacle. If you have any questions, feel free to message me or any of the other folks on here keeping a log.

Good luck and go for it! You'll be clear before you know it

It Gets Dry But If You Apply Moisturizer Then Your Skin Will Look Normal if Not Super Nice!

all the best if you feel you are stop doing things you use to enjoy stop the course immediatly

Don't be scared! I know the thought of starting Accutane is definitely not a pleasant one, but I feel like it has a bad rep. People are more likely to hear the horror stories about this drug because there are so many. However, it is a really effective drug for acne. I am on my second round because I never got the chance to finish my first, and after going off birth control, the acne came back. I just started my fourth month and I have no acne right now. The first three months were definitely a roller-coaster ride, and my acne did get worse, but I'm amazed that it has gotten so much better.

The dry skin is manageable if you moisturize at least twice a day. My derm gave me a lot of moisturizer samples to use, and I use Cetaphil a lot. Also, Aquaphor is great on cracked lips. Everyone here has a ton of advice on different products to use during treatment. I know 4-6 months seems like a long time to be on Accutane, but believe me, it goes by very fast and before you know it, clearing starts to happen. :)

I know it can be a bit scary, but try not to let it get to you! I'm on day 49 and I take 40mg a day. I really haven't had a problem with dryness or a huge issue with flakes. And I don't even moisturize except in the morning! I do get some small flaky patches on my face sometimes, but I use Cure Natural Aqua Gel to help with that. I recommend it to everyone. It's super gentle and gets all the dead skin off, which is amazing!

Everyone is different though, so you'll never know how your skin will be on Accutane. If you want to clear up your skin, it's worth it. I don't think the dryness will be as big of an issue as you're expecting. As long as you're prepared with some moisturizer, I think you'll be just fine! :)

Hi all! I may be beginning my tane' journey soon. I'm 24 and I've been fighting the acne battle for...forever? I've tried rein-a micro, doxy, epiduo, pretty much everything. My derm is recommending accutane and I'm absolutely terrified. First of all the price is a lot (my RX spending is all used up for my health insurance) but I have a great mom who is willing to help me out. Honestly, what I'm really worried about is the dry skin. I've read countless logs, and it seems that dry skin is a side effect that does happen to everyone. Here's the deal, I go to school for music, I perform. I work retail. No one is going to buy clothes from the freaky skin flake girl. How bad does it get? Can I still wear makeup? I can cover my nasty zits with makeup, but how bad will it get? I know it's something silly to be worked up over, there are so many side effects that are worse, but I am. Also, how bad is the fatigue?

I'd love some advice on this from you veterans.

Thanks smile.png

hi Lexie, Im absolutely terrified too Im starting 20 mg as soon as they order it in at the pharmacy.

I have been living with acne for years Im 30 now...enough is enough. I dont have terrible acne like some of those on here but it kills my self confidence and hurts my spirit.

I cant live this way anymore. I need something to know I can be clear, and though its scary I will mositurise and use lip balm and take vitamin e.

Id advise not to go on a high dosage lnly 20 mg at least for a while.

Good luck, youre pretty and have a great smile, I hope we all come through this OK and with great skin. Were all here for support advice and to help in any way we can :-)

Best of luck, Lexie. I am 30 and will be starting within the next week. I'll look forward to giving and receiving support with others going through the same thing!

Dont be scaredd! Its not that bad I promise! Once you start it, you will be like why was I making this such a big deal! Ive been on Accutane for 78 days today, and my face is not dry at all. I apply moisturizer maybe once every two weeks? I only apply it, when I need it! My arms and legs are more dry then my face is... And I wear alottttt of makeup, and my face looks fine. I promise its not so bad. There are so many bad stories about Accutane, that it just starts to get in youre head that its bad.. Its really not, so far Accutane has literaly changed my life already. Im so much more confident now then I ever was before.. GO for it, dont wait till your acne gets worse then do it. That was my mistake...

And Accutane is VERY exspensive, I took Accutane a few years back but only for two weeks then I quit taking it because I got scared. Whenn I got that perscription filled at Wal-Mart it was 606$ for a 30 day supply. It was crazy. This time, I fount out about a privately owned pharmacy! It is 249$ for a 30 day supply, its still alot but much cheaper.. So try to find a privately owned pharmacy near you, youll save alot!!!

If you ever need someone to talk to, or have any questions, im here!

Guest LexieLo

My derm actually recommended going thru a canadian pharmacy because of cost. Does that seem weird? I'm really worried about the dry lips. I sing, opera and I need to ya know.... open my mouth. Thank GOD for makeup, that's all I'm saying.

I am on 30mg of Accutane and I started 26 days ago. To be honest with you, I was also very scared. I started to take Accutane in 2010 but stopped after 3 days because I was freaking out. Now, I am back and convincing myself that all will be well. So far, i have dry lips but not dry like cracked. No one would notice, just that you feel them dry. The Aquafor lip gel helps. I also use Neosporin (white petrolium lip gel).

My face isn't so dry. I did get the dreaded initial breakouts and I don't know why bc the doctor said I should have an issue since I was on Dorxy and Retin A, in the last few months. Well, can't alwasy trust the doctors. The breakout is bad. I have huge cysts but I know they will go away and in the next 4 month, I will have great skin.

Guest LexieLo

I've weighed the pros and cons, and read countless logs. But most important, my mom has agreed to foot the bill. I am SO lucky that she's going to do this for me. So I'm calling the derm tomorrow to tell her that I'm on board.... so I sign the I pledge thing and....then wait 30 days?

You have a right to be scared, but know that you are starting something AMAZING. I am just starting my 5th month and loving it. I look in the mirror now and am taken aback by what I see. I see my actual face now. I see my light complexion with rosy cheeks and brown eyes and eyebrows that have gone too long without waxing (one of my frustrations with being on Accutane, but a minor one!) I don't count my breakouts anymore, in fact, I barely pay any mind to them, knowing they'll be gone soon. When I get ready in the morning, I still put too much foundation on the back of my hand as if I would need it all... like I used to just a couple months ago. In fact, I use half the foundation/face products I used to.

I promise you, this is worth it. You will just wake up one day a few months from now and feel so excited for the future :)

Guest LexieLo

UGH! Can't get to see the derm till July 19, then the 30 day wait??

ANNOYED!

Hi Lexie, I know you are eager to start... I am sad to say I haven't been on this site in a long time(well sad because I'm back) anyway... Accutane is a long process but it is totally worth it!!! I was on it several years ago for 6-7 months and after my course... wow my face was amazing!!! I didn't get another spot for about 6 months.. even then for about another year or two they were tiny! It's hard but the end is well worth it!

i agree with what everyone else has said, it really does feel amazing at the end of your course! i'm taking a second course as well, but i knew it was the right decision because of the outstanding results i had with my first course. good luck you will not regret it in the end. it can be tough but just know we've all been through it as well and we're right there beside you cheering you on.

JB

Guest LexieLo

Maybe this is a stupid question, but I know that there's Accutane, but also

Claravis,

Sotret and Isotroin? Does it matter which one my derm gives me?

What Pam said is right, about there being generic brands. I'm on Oratane, that's my country's brand of Accutane. I've heard of about four or five different kinds. Same medication, different name.

Lexie:

It is SO worth it! If you stay on top of moisturizing, you'll be fine. That was the best advice I got. Well, one of many. But moisturize, even before you get dry or see flakes and moisturize even if you don't think you need to and you'll be all set. I'm heading into my second month and dry skin is not an issue. Dry lips, oh yeah! But skin is fine. It is absolutely amazing how little I am thinking about my skin. The progress has been super encouraging. Waiting is very hard once you have finally decided to take the plunge, but the whole deal with Accutane is that it is a marathon, not a sprint and patience is needed every step of the way. Good luck to you!!!

Hey Lexie!

I'm 20, I finished my course abour 4-4 1/2 months ago!

I'm also a music major so I can tell you right away that it will make everything you do a lot more stressful haha. I was hit hard with depression while on it, not sure if it was from the Claravis or the birth control though. The cracking at the corners of your lips will definitely suck if you're a singer though, I had trouble eating because it would hurt so badly.

Anyway, you could have a really bad initial breakout that will last a while (just gonna be honest, no point in sugar coating it)

And the dry skin sucks...

But I cannot reccommend anything more than accutane! I had terrible acne for probably 8ish years, I tried everything (Retin-A, Differin, every OTC thing imagineable etc.) and this is the only thing that really works. My skin is basically perfect now. I've never gone to the beach without makeup, and now I haven't worn any foundation or anything in probably 2 months. It is the greatest feeling in the world. I was on 80mg a day for 8 months so my treatment may have been more aggressive than what many people do. You can do it though! There is no denying the many side effects really suck. I'm a violinist and this stuff gave me such bad back pains that I had trouble performing. Those are all gone now though! This makes it sound so negative but I'm just being honest. It really is so worth it though despite how shitty the treatment itself is. Don't be scared!! It will be the best decision you ever make :)

Good luck!!! I'm excited to hear about your progress!!!

Guest LexieLo

Yay for music ed majors!!! I'm hoping to stock up on an arsenal of epic moisturizers bc I can't have this screwing with my singing. Your log scared the crap out of me, I wont lie. But I'll be on 40 mg twice a day so we'll see...