Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Miss Theron

Please I Am Begging Help! :(

Hello everyone, (PLEASE READ!)

Well basically my story is my son is suffering sooo much now that he has moderate-severe acne. He used to have perfect/clear skin and confidence 7 months ago....Then it started.....just a pimple or 2 and that cleared up with some Neutrogena...then it started coming back worse and worse until we finally took him to the derm about 6 months ago. The derm gave him Retin-A and clindamycin phosphate gel. Well for 3 months it was getting better than boom it got 5x worse. He literally wokeup and started crying and screaming as soon as he saw his face. I quickly took him to the derm again and he prescribed doxycicline. That cleared it up within a month and he was super happy and got his confidence back. Well then at the beginning of June...it started coming back...so he started eating really healthy but still it got worse and now my sons cheeks are completely filled with cysts red marks and anything else acne related you can think of! He even is getting it on his back and chest now! He is literally starving himself to death because he is so depressed and i have to force him to eat. He keeps telling me he wants to die and how he lost all his happiness. He isnt hanging out with his friends anymore because he doesnt want them to see his face and my son is really popular to but he just is so ashamed of his face now. He is very handsome and when i tell him that he says acne destroyed his looks. He is also just locking himself in his room and blocking out all the light. He hates light now! Please somebody help me idk what to do anymore. You have no idea how it feels to be a mother and see your son suffer and wanting to die/having all his happiness and confidence gone! He even tried every single home remedy you can think of! and took every supplement recommended on this site! sad.png please i just dont know what to do i am also suffering seeing my son like this. What do i do? :/ the derm wont even prescribe accutane...

PS: I do tell him that everyone goes through acne but then he starts crying and saying no mines is severe while my friends have very minor acne or just clear skin

Edited by Miss Theron

Well I can tell you now that i've been in exactly the same position as your son lately, feeling as depressed as i've ever been, not going out whatsoever and basically just living in my room. I even go around blocking out all the natural light because I just hate the way it makes my face look. The fact is I need to realise, and so does he, that we're teenagers and some just get effected by acne so much more, however upsetting it is. I've had to live with it for atleast 2 years now and there hasn't been a point in that time where i've been confident in myself, when its a time where everybody else is getting to enjoy there lives unaware at how fortunate they are to have clear skin. Mentally i'm still not over my battle with acne so can't give advice as to how to cope with it, what I can say is that you should atleast know that he isn't the only one suffering from this. The only practical advice I can give you is to plead to your derm to give him accutane, and if he doesn't find another dermatologist. It's summer so he won't have the obligation of going to school and he can receive treatment that actually works, and by the next school year it should have improved, but i've realised that any topicals/antibiotics besides accutane are just temporary fixes, or that they don't work atall. However there are side effects to accutane that you need to be aware of too. Through near obsession i've gathered quite alot of knowledge about acne, well my own atleast so any questions i'll try and answer :)

I wouldnt advise Accutane

if he is one of the many many unlucky ones, the long term side effects are horrific!

something that worked amazing for me is turmeric.

he would need 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder, a good dash of black pepper, in a half glass of water, filled with half hot milk.

then drink.

this has saved me from the worst form of acne; cystic acne.

get him to do this at least twice a day, if not, three times and watch his skin clear!!

you could also, whilst he is in a really bad breakout, also get him antibiotics from the doctor.

be really really careful of the accutane, which they may suggest. it may clear him up in the short term

but to live in misery with the long term side effects of what can go wrong with accutane is so not worth it.

There r many that would say it worked great for them, but do you really want to take that risk

Plus Accutane is about to be banned, or may already have been banned, and with good reason

Hi Miss Theron, I know exactly what your son is going through! It's pretty tough having to live life with acne, it causes overwhelming depression for those who suffer with it. The stuff my doctor prescribed me also cleared my skin for a while but then eventually made my acne worse. I've been treating my acne on my own and have had way better results.

My advice is to stop all topical treatments for at least 3 days, he needs to give his skin a break. He should wash his face with water only during those 3 days and then go back to a cleansing routine. He needs a cleanser, antiseptic toner, and a moisturizer. I've read a lot of good reviews for Witch Hazel as a toner. For a moisturizer try looking for one that has no fragrance or parabens. I've been using Up & Up moisturizing unscented lotion (Target brand) for a few days now and works great.

He should also try dead sea mud masks, the dead sea has a high concentration of salts and minerals that benefit the skin. I haven't tried dead sea masks yet but I have tried some clay masks before and my skin always looks better after I use them. And always moisturize after using mud masks because they dry out the skin.

You should also look into diet, lifestyle, and antibiotic related threads on this site. There's a lot of information here that you might find useful.

I hope this helps!

These are a couple links that I'd strongly suggest reading Miss Theron. I think they will really help your son out with his acne

/>http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/

/>http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/316478-green-teasea-salt-toner-effective-and-easy-to-make/

Hi Miss Theron, i'm so sorry you and your son are going through this. Because its obviously not just him suffering from the emotional effects of this condition but you are as well. My advice is to be as proactive as you can be. Do your own research, find out as much as you can about acne. It's such a complex condition, there is no such thing as 1 factor that causes acne. It could be many things, food allergies, product allergies, vitamin deficiencies, etc, etc. I personally like the diet/holistic forum, you will find tons of great info on regimens, topical products, etc. I wish you and your son the best.

Have you tried eliminating dairy from his diet? Can you possibly see an endocrinologist or maybe have him try accupunture? Does acne run in your family, if it does, reassure him a possible time frame when his acne will be gone.

Accutane can clear him, but you have to understand the risks involved with accutane. If he is already in a mental state of suicide because of acne, i would have to go with accutane.

My heart goes out to you. I have a teen son who is also suffering. It is heartbreaking to see our children go through this. Please let me know if you try anything that works. We are alternating 10% sulfur and the green tea/salt toner. There are results, but I'm pretty sure that stress is slowing down the progress. I'm so panicked trying to clear things up before school starts. Message me any time.

Edited by gingergirl22

I totally get what he is going through. i highly suggest not going with accutane because it is not recommended for those who have reached a level of sucidal thoughts. What i suggest your son do is begin by not using a medicated cleanser but instead a water soluable cleanser such as neutrogena naturals purifying cleanser or cetaphil gentle cleansing or alpha hydrox face wash. Medicated facial cleansers add unnecessary dryness on top of medicated topical gels which is the second step after cleansing. For the medicated topical gel i suggest using neutrogena acne stress control 3 in 1 hydrating acne treatment. This product has hydrating agents already in the product therefore you wouldnt need to add another moisturizer on top. Men also have naturally oil rich skin more so than women do. Dont use benzoyl peroxide with salicylic acid at the same time because you are trying to avoid the unnecessary dryness. With using this salicylic acid you will want to stick with it for 4 weeks before you see improvement. And continue to use as recommended on the product. If this product is not strong enough i suggest using benzoyl peroxide with a strength of two to start with and then go to strength five or ten if the lower strengths dont work. If this fails ask the dermatologist about these products..duac and differin and the facial cleanser re 10 which is a non medicated cleanser. I hope this helps and your encouragment and strength for your son is amazing..keep it up. :)

Ps..within the first month of using the over the counter medicated products like salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide..everything beneath the skin will come to the surface creating alot of breakouts but it is about persistence that helps you battle acne and succeed.

Edited by valentinevng

I'm sorry to hear what you're both going through right now. The story really touched me and I felt I should chip in aswell on advices.

Honestly, I'm not a derm, but like many of us here, long term(5+ years, face and nowadays back aswell) cystic acne sufferer, and people on this forums really know their stuff. Like many others, I also do not think accutane is a viable option here, considering the unstable mental state of your son. But something that people usually overlook is the importance of good, simple, yet effective cleansers/moisturizers. All these Neutrogena 1-in-4 crap, Acne free brands, and the flashy "acne cleansers" are usually too harsh on already troubled skin. Get a good, oil-free moisturizer, and a gentle, hypo-allergenic, soap. These things can be bought from pharmacies, atleast here on Europe. They're usually not expensive, and actually treat the skin like it's suppose to be treated, cleanser cleanses, moisturizer hydrates the skin. No need for flashy salisylic acid washes or zinc/whatever enriched lotions.

Acne.org regimen is a good option, you can get those items mention aboved accompanied by any Benzyl Peroxide product and you'll have a good acne treatment in your hands. So to sum it up, keep it simple. Gentle cleanser, Benzoyl Peroxide gel/paste, gentle moisturizer. Let the BP do it's job. And for the love of god do not scrub. There are plenty of home remedy facial masks that you'll find more information of on this site. Scrubbing just makes it worse.

I hope all the best for your son and you! smile.png

Edited by LastDitchEffort

im sorry to hear about your son the worst thing he can do is to shy him self away from the world, maybe get him to talk to someone about how he feels on a weekly baiss,

so he still have some social interaction, let him know that some sunlight say 10 mins a day in the morning rays can help with skin problems, have you tried the option

of getting him to exercise till he sweats that will help unclog pores and kill some bacteria that sweat can do , try green tea cleanser for face wash or alo veria for face wash try if those work

they have less harsh chemicals in them more natural incidence, but like with all treatment it takes some time to see improvements it will take some months

i wish him and you all the best i hope he isnt one of the countless people who suffered alone in silence.

with accutane theres a huge risk of psycholigical problem and side effects, it depends on your family history also your sons,

because alot of people have express a lack of intrest and lack of motivation and depression while on that drug,

Edited by Syn1122

I wouldnt advise Accutane

if he is one of the many many unlucky ones, the long term side effects are horrific!

something that worked amazing for me is turmeric.

he would need 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder, a good dash of black pepper, in a half glass of water, filled with half hot milk.

then drink.

this has saved me from the worst form of acne; cystic acne.

get him to do this at least twice a day, if not, three times and watch his skin clear!!

you could also, whilst he is in a really bad breakout, also get him antibiotics from the doctor.

be really really careful of the accutane, which they may suggest. it may clear him up in the short term

but to live in misery with the long term side effects of what can go wrong with accutane is so not worth it.

There r many that would say it worked great for them, but do you really want to take that risk

Plus Accutane is about to be banned, or may already have been banned, and with good reason

Not bad! I drink 2 tsp of turmeric in a cup of coconut water. Very easy and I saw it is best with coconut water 'cause it does something which I forgot.

The taste is really really really awful. I drink it fast to get it over with. I'm gonna increase my intake of turmeric everyday instead of 3 days a week.

Hey, im a teenager too 15 years old actually and I have felt EXACTLY like your son has but i didnt got as much support from my parents as your son is lucky to have, i am currently on accutane low dose (20 mg) and I cleared within 12 weeks with no side effects and noticed improvement in just 2 weeks, and i have been taking a lot of milk, protein powder, bodybuilding supplements and I have gained a lot of muscle without a single pimple so accutane WORKS thats my recommendation... Also if he is into sports take him to a gym, it made a lot for my looks and confidence even with acne... But seriously consider accutane PLEASE

Hello,

I'm sorry your son is going through so much frustration-- stubborn acne is very frustrating. I know myself, having battled it since I was in grade 6. The worst part is doctors still don't know very much about it, you look to them for help, but they don't always send you down the right path. At 31 years old, I finally have my acne under control and would love to share with you a few things I WISH someone would've told me 15 years ago!!!!

Things I Wish Someone Had Told Me About Acne

1. Be gentle and use products for sensitive skin. We have a tendency to look at our faces and think we need to tackle a serious problem with serious astringents and scrubbers. Don't. You don't need to seek out expensive, all natural type products either. There are many good gentle, cheap, products on the market right now, I like Clean and Clears foaming facial cleanser for sensitive skin. Don't scrub hard, don't use face clothes or facial brushes- firmly and lightly use hands to wash ( and only twice a day) And washing his face alone is not what's going to fix his acne, it's what he puts on it AFTER.

2. Benzoyl Peroxide is a God-send, but use it RIGHT. If BP has never worked - perhaps it's because it wasn't used right. It's not going to help much with current acne. What it is, is a fantastic acne preventer. It works by killing bacteria in skin that causes acne. I always have a small layer all over my face to keep acne at bay and nothing more potent than 2.5%.( Dan Kern sells a great one, that lasts forever) It takes a while for the skin to adjust, but when you figure out how to use BP- it's the ONLY effective thing. (This coming from a girl that's been on Accutance 3 times.)

3. Stay Away from Fragrance. Buy only products that are fragrance free, get dryer sheets and laundry detergent for sensitive skin, stay away from perfume. This means hair products and hair spray. You have no idea the products that caused me to break out because of the cheap chemicals used in them. AND just because a product claims it's "natural" doesn't make it better. I break out from things like lavender and lemon. Too harsh.

4. Get on a Zinc supplement STAT. Look up zinc deficiencies on the internet, I had all the symptoms. He might too. I take 50mg right before bed and you should see the drastic improvement in my overall health, let alone skin. It's amazing.

5. Take Vitamin D supplement. Vitamin D deficiencies also can cause acne. I take a supplement everyday along with a multivitamin.

6. Stay AWAY from salt and simple carbohydrates. Salt really aggravates acne and so do things like chips and white rice etc. Look for whole grain and complex carbohydrates. A good read is Dr. Perricone's list of foods to eat and avoid-- it's all about what creates inflammatory responses in the body. I truly believe this.

7. Stay Away from Caffeine. Soda pop and coffee, so NOT good for my skin not to mention how they disrupt getting a good sleep. I drink herbal teas and lots of water instead.

8. Stay away from peanuts. I don't know why, but anything with peanut oil, peanut butter etc. causes great inflammation with my acne.

I do a lot of other things too, like staying out of the sun and only using fragrance free, gentle sunscreens.

The biggest thing is to get a proper nutrition, be gentle, take supplements and use BP. It's what has helped me now to become completely clear, and what I wish someone would have told me when I was that struggling little girl in grade 6. ; (((

All the best to you!!!

Miss Theron: The biggest contributor to acne that I see in males is dairy and sugar. My growing brothers can drink a gallon of milk a day and then pound back a few packs of cookies. (They are skinny but they have horrid skin.)

Dairy is hyped up in the U.S., but it is horrible for acne. It contains rapid-growth hormones for baby cows that is NOT DESIGNED FOR HUMANS. If you value your son's skin, please get him off dairy and sugar. It is difficult, but I'll bet you anything it makes the biggest long-term difference.

Natural almond milk is a great alternative, has a creamy consistency like milk. My husband likes it and he is a super picky eater. Don't get the Silk brand, they advertise on TV a lot but they put so much guar gum in their products that you'll get indigestion. I highly recommend Almond Breeze by Blue Diamond.

See this article on Milk, Sugar, and Acne on Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/do-milk-and-sugar-cause-a_b_822163.html

Hello everyone, (PLEASE READ!)

Well basically my story is my son is suffering sooo much now that he has moderate-severe acne. He used to have perfect/clear skin and confidence 7 months ago....Then it started.....just a pimple or 2 and that cleared up with some Neutrogena...then it started coming back worse and worse until we finally took him to the derm about 6 months ago. The derm gave him Retin-A and clindamycin phosphate gel. Well for 3 months it was getting better than boom it got 5x worse. He literally wokeup and started crying and screaming as soon as he saw his face. I quickly took him to the derm again and he prescribed doxycicline. That cleared it up within a month and he was super happy and got his confidence back. Well then at the beginning of June...it started coming back...so he started eating really healthy but still it got worse and now my sons cheeks are completely filled with cysts red marks and anything else acne related you can think of! He even is getting it on his back and chest now! He is literally starving himself to death because he is so depressed and i have to force him to eat. He keeps telling me he wants to die and how he lost all his happiness. He isnt hanging out with his friends anymore because he doesnt want them to see his face and my son is really popular to but he just is so ashamed of his face now. He is very handsome and when i tell him that he says acne destroyed his looks. He is also just locking himself in his room and blocking out all the light. He hates light now! Please somebody help me idk what to do anymore. You have no idea how it feels to be a mother and see your son suffer and wanting to die/having all his happiness and confidence gone! He even tried every single home remedy you can think of! and took every supplement recommended on this site! sad.png please i just dont know what to do i am also suffering seeing my son like this. What do i do? :/ the derm wont even prescribe accutane...

PS: I do tell him that everyone goes through acne but then he starts crying and saying no mines is severe while my friends have very minor acne or just clear skin

Miss Theron - How is your son doing?