Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I've been following a low GI/paleo-type diet for about a year now. Although I have stopped getting cystic acne, I still get a lot of clogged pores/blackheads/whiteheads and on occasion, small inflamed acne as well. I'd say there has been 60 - 70% improvement, but I am not clear and have sort of decided to give up because exhausting various diets and spending a huge amount of money on vitamins was beginning to frustrate me. That said, I've stuck by my low-GI, gluten free diet and I avoid processed foods/sugars and eat a lot of fish, salad and fruit.

I went on holiday about two weeks ago, and my skin wasn't looking great. I think I was suffering from a hormonal breakout (time of the month) and had a lot of congestion (not inflamed, but that horrible kind of breakout that makes skin look really rough and uneven). 5 days after spending 90 percent of my day swimming in the sea and laying around the sunshine, I was astounded to see that my skin had cleared up by about 80% (in such a short amount of time, too).

So what can this mean? Am I suffering from vitamin D deficiency, is there something about sea salt that helps clear up skin..? My diet remained largely the same whilst on holiday, if anything, I probably ate more high-GI fruit than I'd normally have.. but my skin was the best I've seen it in years.

Now that I'm back to the city, my skin has slowly but surely deteriorated back to its previous state, and I'm trying to figure out if there's any way I can get it back to what it was, apart from having to move to a hot city on the coast (not that I'd mind, but..dare to dream! tongue.png )

Salt is a natural exfoliating agent, it removes dead skin cells that may lead to sebaceous filaments or acne. This is very useful information in the future :) for you can actually make DIY recipes that contains sea salt to naturally exfoliate your skin one or twice a week. Try mixing a tablespoon of organic, unpasteurized honey and half a tablespoon of sea salt to create a scrub for weekly use. If the salt granules are too harsh you can decrease the size by adding a bit of water then stir then lastly add the honey.

I don't recommend staying out in the sun for long periods of time since UV rays are the main causes for wrinkles. Sunscreens break me out so I stay out of the sun (thank God I am naturally tanned). I try to stay out when it is 10 am to 4 pm where the sun is usually at it's strongest.

Well, I say stay outside, and closest to nature as much as you can. I'd want to get into details but since it's someting that is quite new to most people I wont.

I think it has to do with reduced stress of being on vacation, being somewhere beautiful, combined with the salt from the ocean water. I've had similar good things happen with my skin on vacations in the past and I realize it's because I'm free of the stressful burdens that unfortunately plague my life back home.

Even oil free sun screen breaks me out, cant win lol. I used to go in the sea and itd make my skin horribly red and raw.

Sunscreen is absolutely toxic!

/>http://www.ewg.org/analysis/toxicsunscreen
/>http://wisdomquarterly.blogspot.com/2012/06/beauty-sun-protection-without-toxic.html

The sun is wonderful. It elevates mood and encourages healthy circadian rhythms (through melatonin and serotonin production). It is our main source of vitamin D which is severely lacking due to the overuse of sunscreens. Even though I burn easily, I'll try to get a little direct and indirect sunlight every day. I also supplement vitamin D because I realize I spend the majority of my time indoors.

I personally feel the main factors with regards to acne improvement are the Vitamin D, combined with salt water which naturally calms inflammation.

Either way, a day at the beach sounds nice! proud.gif

Well, I say stay outside, and closest to nature as much as you can. I'd want to get into details but since it's someting that is quite new to most people I wont.

But he needs to make sure to wear sunscreen or stay out of the sun. :) A little of sun is fine.

I've had the same amazing results with ocean water and the sun. I think the key factor is the ocean. When I look at my vacation pictures at the ocean I am astonished at how healthy my skin looks within days. The relaxation aspect is a factor but I don't believe it's significant.

Question? Doesn't everyone see an improvement in their skin when they are at the ocean?

Edited by ions

Nice to know I'm not alone! Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the fact I live in the UK where we are seriously, seriously sun deprived (..and, consequently, quite grumpy) may be partially to blame..

But he needs to make sure to wear sunscreen or stay out of the sun. smile.png A little of sun is fine.

Humans are naturally suppose to be outside all day, in the sun. Nature didn't design our bodies so we could live inside a closed house with artificial lights.

The natural lights also stimulates our pineal gland and controlls our hormonal production with the nature's timing so we sleep when we are suppose to sleep and wake when we are suppose to wake. Sun also triggers a natural anti-depressant.

Other than staying in direct hot sunlight and being burnt like crazy, sun is very beneficial.

sea water strips oil of your skin

hormonal acne=excessive oil

sea water=no excessive oil=no hormonal acne

I clear up significantly in a very humid climate, whether or not I go to the ocean. Humidity = more water in the air. I think it is the moisture in the air that is beneficial, moreso than the ocean itself.