Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rheks

Bad Acne Marks

Okay, so I've not had like really bad acne at once, I have acne break outs with quite hard spots that come to a head and pop, then heal quite quickly..

However since I have had a constant problem with quite frequent breakouts, it doesn't leave much time for my skin to heal from the breakout before, leaving marks, and they build up making my skin look alot worse and as if I have really bad acne.

At the moment I have about 2 actual active spots, the rest are really bad marks, they are fading, but still very bad.

I use basic products that I need, like cetaphil cleanser and a boots moisturiser with alpha glycolic lotion as well. and use a toner with aloe vera in it at night.

I am on antibiotics for my acne, which I hope are working, my breakouts I think were provoked by a toner I was using before that had alchohol in it, a really big mistake I made and my skin is recovering a bit, and I haven't really gotten any new spots since I stopped using it, so hopefully my skin will get better now that I've stopped using it.

Is there anything that really works well in reducing scars/marks? they aren't indented, some are a little raised, but usually do flatten and remain a mark for awhile. My biggest problem is that the spots leave marks for a really long time, so is there anything I can be using to help reduce them significantly?

Oh yes, I was using this as a toner, but I stopped because I didn't see any good results, it just tried my skin and made me get dry patches.

Are you using any sunblock?

I'm 26 and I just started using a high zinc sunscreen every single day, and it is hands down the best way to prevent the PIH. Well, you know, besides not getting pimples =]

I really wish that I would have incorporated the sunscreen into my life way, way earlier.

If it's a broad spectrum sunscreen (which is what you should be using), then yes. That's how it prevents the PIH from darkening.

I believe (and pleaseeeee don't quote me on it), but the way the scars/new skin protects itself from the damaging UVA/UVB rays is to ramp up melanin to the area to prevent the rays getting through = hyperpigmentation. But if there's sunscreen on it, then this doesn't happen.

I'm at an age where I'm interested in preventing early wrinkles and pigmentation, and, you know, cancer. But when I was younger, I didn't think much of it.

I like my skin tone just fine, so I don't notice a lack of tan. I know we all have our things though.

Obvs, it's all about personal preference and choices! But I believe that most derms would agree with daily use of sunscreen and anecdotally, it has absolutely helped my PIH.

Probably sounds ridiculous and highly ignorant as I'm new to the world of acne but would dabbing sunscreen on red mark but leaving the rest of your face while out in the sun do good? Not making the mark darker= result, rest of the skin darker=result. I'm possibly way off the mark.

Edited by Vinc

You don't sound ignorant or ridiculous, I'm just not sure how feasable that would be. You would have to be continually precise about your sunscreen application, not counting the fact that products tend to migrate on skin.

You're best bet for even tone is to wear sunblock all over until the PIH lightens completely (use AHA/BHA/retinoids/peels/hydroquinone/etc) and then stop using the sunscreen all together. But then there's all the risks of not wearing a sunscreen, blah blah, I'm sure you're aware.

Like I said, I'm fairly new to caring about sun protection, but now I really do believe in it. I apologize for sounding preachy.

If you're using a retinoid, then I would suggest using a sunscreen all the time, PIH or not.

Hello, thanks for the replies.

No, I do not use sunscreen because I find its very greasy, and I don't know how I would fit it in my regimen, plus I find it hard to believe using sunscreen alone would help reduce scars, but I do understand how it would help to prevent them and protect.

Also, I use AHA cleanser along side my cetaphil

Edited by Rheks

Wouldn't you agree that preventing them is the best way to reduce them?

You put sunscreen on after all other products, and before makeup. Some people use it in lieu of a moisturizer in the morning.

"Treatment of postinflammatory hyperpigmentation is a challenge. As a first step, sun protection with sunscreens, wide-brimmed hats and overall sun avoidance is imperative to prevent UV-induced melanogenesis."

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/739758_5

Anyways. You asked for suggestions, since sunscreen doesn't seem to be what you want to use:

There's glycolic, Lactic, Mandelic and TCA peels. Retinoids and Hydroquinone and of course, time.

Good luck.

Thank you, yes I use glycolic acid, and it does work nicely. I suppose I am going to have to continue with what I am doing until they hopefully fade completely. My skin does look alot better these days.