Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FSAS

How Do You Tell If Your Acne Is Food Related?

Due to going around in circles im back and wondering if my acne is an 'allergy/intolerant'.

Although I have definitely done an elimination diet and spent a year believing it was food and finding out no food or lack of certain foods never made a difference.

i dont eat dairy anyway and in general I definitely dont see a pattern regarding what I eat and my acne.

I eat a balanced diet (fruits/veggies/lean meats/healthy oils/oats mainly) (but week by week I did eliminate food groups and certain foods). at the moment i mainly just steer clear of the obvious thing, eggs and the typical junk and milk/cheese..

I actually had a 'junk day' a few weeks ago (was an occassion and after 2 years I wanted to indulge a bit)... weirdest thing ever was I ate complete junk im talking chips to icecream to chocolate to sugar, pies etc and my face looked amazing -_- i have NO idea what the deal was there. You would think junk food would break me out not make my acne better :/ made me sad becaue that makes no sense what so ever and i dont want to eat junk just for a clear face.

anyway I'm wondering, does food reaction acne have similar traits. for example if you were intolerant or allergic to something is the acne a pimple? cyst? is it just one? my acne at the moment is actually mainly just bumps. like my forehead is bump mania good luck finding one healthy pore.

and a lot of my cheeks/chin are just a lot of bumps and blackheads and mainly around my chin and cheeks there will be small pimples. and my nose and corners of my nose are basically just blackheads every pore (sucks). in the past i've had cysts etc but at the moment everything is quite non-inflammed.

I try not to pick my anything but I have to admit sometimes I do touch the smaller ones that have a small head. so most are filled with 'something' but if i leave them alone they dont seem to do much like they dont get worse or better..just stay idle.

If its worth noting also even when I do touch my face and aggravate the bumps/small pimples out of frustration (definitely doing my best not to touch though) the area of said bump doesnt bleed or the skin doesnt break but instead I just get like an inflamed lump, a lump of nothing it will go down within 20mins but i find that very odd that if I aggravate the bumps (mainly around my chin/mouth/jaw) that all that really happens is the area surrounding just raises and becomes a larger bump and returns once it has calmed down. kinda like it swells.

is that normal acne or do you think an allergic reation type thing (taking note also I definitely do have normal pimples but most are just bumps which annoy me big time).

i've also mainly ruled out food etc as the cause of my acne because as mentioned many times my face gets worse 1-2 weeks before my period and in fact looks its best ever day 1 of my period (which only usually lasts like 3 days anyway with no side affects.. in fact my happiest days are the days of my period..i dont think many females can say that :0 ).

so to me that means it has to be purely related to hormones not food (even though diet and lifestyle never aided my hormones -_-)

so really im just cuious, does allergy related acne have traits? like my acne can definitely come n go and some days are better than others but im really trying my best to get rid of that horrible face because it makes me feel gross and also scared because it must mean there is something wrong with me that i dont know about and I feel unhealthy and disgusting just becasae of my face regardless of being the healthiest person in my family and of my friends by miles.

can anyone help me identify what my acne actually is by my little description here?

what about others acne? those who have helped their acne by diet etc what was your acne like ?

thankyou

It does sounds like your acne may be more hormonal. How strict were the elimination diets that you followed? They need to be RIGID and long-lasting to have any effect. I had bad acne for ten years, but I remember one time having this horrible stomach flue and not being able to have anything but water for the better part of two weeks. My skin cleared up GORGEOUSLY. It was like six years ago and I was so confused. When I started back on real food, the acne came back and didn't budge again.

Turns out a soy allergy was at the root of my cysts. Eliminating all soy is REALLY hard. I read the labels on everything from teabags to cough drops to candles to makeup, and even avoid "natural flavors," which could easily mean soy. I got the hang of it but I have to do ALL of that on a daily basis. If I slip up, my skin goes nuts until it's out of my system (1-2 weeksish).

It's not my only aggravating factor. Dairy seems to give me smaller spots and I need to keep up my omega-3 intake. I noticed with the soy allergy, though, that when I slip up, I got a whole new kind of pimple. Usually they're just small and annoying, but a soy-cyst HURTS. It's EVIL. I would literally stay home and apply ice to it. If it cropped up near my mouth, I couldn't really open my mouth to eat. They're horrible. So I'm REALLY careful to avoid all soy, haha. I can always tell it's soy 1) because of the pain and 2) I always return to complete clarity after avoiding it diligently for a week or two.

However, you could have an intolerance that's not quite as severe as an allergy. What have you tried eliminating? Have you done a blood or skin test with an allergist?

EDIT: Ever have any luck with birth control? It helped me slightly, but didn't clear me completely. If your acne is more hormonal, maybe it'd have more of an impact.

Edited by GorgeouslyGothic

From all your posts, I'm guessing you stress out over everything and that along with hormonal fluctuations is this biggest factor.

But diet is always a factor and if you start habitually eating junk and high glycemic foods you will worsen you hormones, ability to deal with stress and ability to recover from whatever harm you do to it.

And why are you avoiding eggs?

It does sounds like your acne may be more hormonal. How strict were the elimination diets that you followed? They need to be RIGID and long-lasting to have any effect. I had bad acne for ten years, but I remember one time having this horrible stomach flue and not being able to have anything but water for the better part of two weeks. My skin cleared up GORGEOUSLY. It was like six years ago and I was so confused. When I started back on real food, the acne came back and didn't budge again.

Turns out a soy allergy was at the root of my cysts. Eliminating all soy is REALLY hard. I read the labels on everything from teabags to cough drops to candles to makeup, and even avoid "natural flavors," which could easily mean soy. I got the hang of it but I have to do ALL of that on a daily basis. If I slip up, my skin goes nuts until it's out of my system (1-2 weeksish).

It's not my only aggravating factor. Dairy seems to give me smaller spots and I need to keep up my omega-3 intake. I noticed with the soy allergy, though, that when I slip up, I got a whole new kind of pimple. Usually they're just small and annoying, but a soy-cyst HURTS. It's EVIL. I would literally stay home and apply ice to it. If it cropped up near my mouth, I couldn't really open my mouth to eat. They're horrible. So I'm REALLY careful to avoid all soy, haha. I can always tell it's soy 1) because of the pain and 2) I always return to complete clarity after avoiding it diligently for a week or two.

However, you could have an intolerance that's not quite as severe as an allergy. What have you tried eliminating? Have you done a blood or skin test with an allergist?

EDIT: Ever have any luck with birth control? It helped me slightly, but didn't clear me completely. If your acne is more hormonal, maybe it'd have more of an impact.

Im currently on birthday control, have been for a few years, but Diane35 for 2 years. I think im kinda most worried considering diane has been very known to clear a lot of people so its hard not to be really down about it not clearing me at all considering my hormones/androgen activity must be so out of whack...except as mentioned my acne came about in less than 2 weels from clear face all through teens to major breakouts and hormonal change at the end of 18-19y/o.

But even on on birth control as mentioned my acne is always around but gets worse 1-2 weeks before my period and clearest on my period, which only ever lasts like 3 days most and no other hormonal side affects (no pains/mood swings etc).

Over the past two years I have definitely tried a lot, this board was like my little hand book and I read a lot of old posts but I mainly stuck around avoiding gluten for 3 weeks, no change so then I moved onto avoiding select veggies at a time, then select fruit, then things like oats, I dont consume dairy at all so thats not a factor and i definitely dont consume processed foods etc. the only meat really i just eat is organic chicken breast and salmon. but yeah I basically elimited everything in my diet posisble at one time or another and definitely didnt see changes. over the past 2 years I have tried a lot of thing ranging from focus on liver, focus on digestion, probitoics, water, certain supplements (take none atm)... I've been working on sleep but on average over the past 2 years Ive slept very well and exercised everyday and still no change in my acne.

To be as honest as possible the only thing that noticably affects my acne is spiro but i dont want to be on it because im already on the pill and i realize i cant rely on any (more so spiro coz my doc wont give me more percriptions im sure).

but really annoyed that over the whole 2 years nothing is working naturally, considering. I havnt even been able to have a life, im 20 and cant stand it anymore watching everyone else around me live.

I also juice everyday, sometimes 2 times a day with all sorts of veggies and fruits. again, even drinking those didnt change anything. its actually frustrating because all around i'll read about certain foods good for skin or hair or whatnot and even though im consuming all the 'right' things to in 'theory' make me a beautiful human...my skin is still gross and horrible all round, my hair isnt smooth, i always feel bloated like in my face etc. like its hard to believe anything these days. im a human too...i hate how there is so much claim on things like berries to apples to greens when they definitely dont have the 'desired' affect of everyone. i think i just feel like im out of choices. ive been focusing completely natural on health besides the pill and spiro (at times) but theres really no other option. if its not diet, its hormones and my diet and lifestyle has not affected my hormones despite reading everywhere is should. and even hormone related im on the highest pill known to clear faces, but isnt doing a complete job at all and the only other thing is spiro..that knowing me probably wont even work if i do get back on it properly. kinda like dont see anymore options.

I dont think its a food allergy, i think in a way i just wish it was :/

From all your posts, I'm guessing you stress out over everything and that along with hormonal fluctuations is this biggest factor.

But diet is always a factor and if you start habitually eating junk and high glycemic foods you will worsen you hormones, ability to deal with stress and ability to recover from whatever harm you do to it.

I think I noticed myself that I seemed stressed out in my posts but I think I just talk that way in a sense of urgency kinda like I'm fine all the time but when I go to express something I try and make it sound urgent etc..because it is but to be very honest im really not a stressed person. Im not even sure i know what stress feels like, despite my acne i dont have stressors such as jobs or school or anything and i do a lot of deep breathing etc and i definitely try not to think on my acne. when i come to the boards thats when i think about it but even some days i avoid the boards completely because i dont wanna deal with my face :/ but im definitely working on stress even if i dont feel like im stressed out just as a back up thing.

i avoid eggs, despite eating a lot of them a while ago everytime i seem to consume a cooked egg my face feels a little more inflamed. and I also realize I might create that as after consuming the egg I kinda like sit and wait and go inspect my face and so no doubt i do it myself but in general the eggs we have are from our chickens and they dont really taste all that nice, i just dont really like eggs.

If you've done all of this and you truly notice zero improvement, you're probably a good candidate for the GAPS Diet protocol.

You mentioned avoiding individual foods, but did you ever try things like no sugar or no grains? I have problems with most sources of carbs, but I really don't know why. You could try no sugar or low carb if you haven't already.

Have you considered a bacterial/yeast overgrowth?

My acne is an allergy or I think food intolerant. When I was eating only fish with vegetables (3 or 4 times a day) I had a really nice and soooo clean skin. I cut all grains, meat, ham, soy, eggs, dairy. I had many pimples mainly around my chin/mouth/jaw the same like you. I was on paleo but Ive notcied I have to cut all nuts and eggs, they were harmful for my skin condition. tongue.png

It's a prove:

Me before:

http://img684.images...94/60960190.jpg

http://img151.images...20513204654.jpg

Me 4-5 days after eating only fish with vegetables.

http://img692.images...20531080546.jpg

http://img710.images...20531080535.jpg

P.S Everyone says that eating fruits can increase your blood sugar so fast and so high., so how you can explain this > [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSJ_rhJuxYE

(eating many banas at the same time didn't increase blood sugar so high).

Well, can we eat fruits or not to eat them??? smile.png

Edited by Bartek15555

My acne is an allergy or I think food intolerant. When I was eating only fish with vegetables (3 or 4 times a day) I had a really nice and soooo clean skin. I cut all grains, meat, ham, soy, eggs, dairy. I had many pimples mainly around my chin/mouth/jaw the same like you. I was on paleo but Ive notcied I have to cut all nuts and eggs, they were harmful for my skin condition. tongue.png

It's a prove:

Me before:

http://img684.images...94/60960190.jpg

http://img151.images...20513204654.jpg

Me 4-5 days after eating only fish with vegetables.

http://img692.images...20531080546.jpg

http://img710.images...20531080535.jpg

P.S Everyone says that eating fruits can increase your blood sugar so fast and so high., so how you can explain this >

(eating many banas at the same time didn't increase blood sugar so high).

Well, can we eat fruits or not to eat them??? smile.png

i am a raw vegan, and the last time i got my blood checked my blood sugar levels were the optimum healthy range, I eat a lot of fruit everyday. if you eat a low fat diet you will be fine with all the fruit you want, once you start to up the fat intake with fruit is when you might run into issues.

Edited by bobbi364

Im currently on birthday control, have been for a few years, but Diane35 for 2 years. I think im kinda most worried considering diane has been very known to clear a lot of people so its hard not to be really down about it not clearing me at all considering my hormones/androgen activity must be so out of whack...except as mentioned my acne came about in less than 2 weels from clear face all through teens to major breakouts and hormonal change at the end of 18-19y/o.

But even on on birth control as mentioned my acne is always around but gets worse 1-2 weeks before my period and clearest on my period, which only ever lasts like 3 days most and no other hormonal side affects (no pains/mood swings etc).

Over the past two years I have definitely tried a lot, this board was like my little hand book and I read a lot of old posts but I mainly stuck around avoiding gluten for 3 weeks, no change so then I moved onto avoiding select veggies at a time, then select fruit, then things like oats, I dont consume dairy at all so thats not a factor and i definitely dont consume processed foods etc. the only meat really i just eat is organic chicken breast and salmon. but yeah I basically elimited everything in my diet posisble at one time or another and definitely didnt see changes. over the past 2 years I have tried a lot of thing ranging from focus on liver, focus on digestion, probitoics, water, certain supplements (take none atm)... I've been working on sleep but on average over the past 2 years Ive slept very well and exercised everyday and still no change in my acne.

To be as honest as possible the only thing that noticably affects my acne is spiro but i dont want to be on it because im already on the pill and i realize i cant rely on any (more so spiro coz my doc wont give me more percriptions im sure).

but really annoyed that over the whole 2 years nothing is working naturally, considering. I havnt even been able to have a life, im 20 and cant stand it anymore watching everyone else around me live.

I also juice everyday, sometimes 2 times a day with all sorts of veggies and fruits. again, even drinking those didnt change anything. its actually frustrating because all around i'll read about certain foods good for skin or hair or whatnot and even though im consuming all the 'right' things to in 'theory' make me a beautiful human...my skin is still gross and horrible all round, my hair isnt smooth, i always feel bloated like in my face etc. like its hard to believe anything these days. im a human too...i hate how there is so much claim on things like berries to apples to greens when they definitely dont have the 'desired' affect of everyone. i think i just feel like im out of choices. ive been focusing completely natural on health besides the pill and spiro (at times) but theres really no other option. if its not diet, its hormones and my diet and lifestyle has not affected my hormones despite reading everywhere is should. and even hormone related im on the highest pill known to clear faces, but isnt doing a complete job at all and the only other thing is spiro..that knowing me probably wont even work if i do get back on it properly. kinda like dont see anymore options.

I dont think its a food allergy, i think in a way i just wish it was :/

I think I noticed myself that I seemed stressed out in my posts but I think I just talk that way in a sense of urgency kinda like I'm fine all the time but when I go to express something I try and make it sound urgent etc..because it is but to be very honest im really not a stressed person. Im not even sure i know what stress feels like, despite my acne i dont have stressors such as jobs or school or anything and i do a lot of deep breathing etc and i definitely try not to think on my acne. when i come to the boards thats when i think about it but even some days i avoid the boards completely because i dont wanna deal with my face :/ but im definitely working on stress even if i dont feel like im stressed out just as a back up thing.

i avoid eggs, despite eating a lot of them a while ago everytime i seem to consume a cooked egg my face feels a little more inflamed. and I also realize I might create that as after consuming the egg I kinda like sit and wait and go inspect my face and so no doubt i do it myself but in general the eggs we have are from our chickens and they dont really taste all that nice, i just dont really like eggs.

i would try accutane. sorry. if the natural way didn't work, then try accutane. you really want to try another random diet from a stranger on this board, or a pharmaceutical. and i would also try to get back on spiro. don't know why you would quit it if it was working for you. stick with what works for you. that is just my opinion.