Irritation, Dryness...

Notifications
Clear all

Irritation, Dryness, Help

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/28/2012 9:50 pm

So, I've been on the regimen for 3 months now, and it cleared my skin up. In all the areas where I do the regimen, I have clear skin. However, the discoloration and dryness from the BP is really just awful. I have this patch of irritated skin on my face that flares up red everytime i scratch it or rub it. There are two of them actually. It's not a blemish, it's irritated skin. It itches and burns, and it's pretty annoying. It goes away maybe 20-30 minutes after, but for the most part it's not fun. Also, my skin flakes like you wouldn't believe. If I so much as scratch my skin, it peels off and flakes. Anytime water comes in contact with my face, it peels. It also appears dry and cracked a lot. At the end of the day, it begins to itch. I noticed that the irritation problems went away when I used a hand soap that contained Aloe Vera. However, the irritated patches on my skin were caused AFTER I lowered the amount of BP I used. I know the dryness is due to using too much BP, which my skin isn't used to, plus I know my skin doesn't NEED that much. My ultimate solution will be to, all though not advised, use LESS bp, maybe 1 pump per day, and incorperate some aloe into my routine? Any tips or advice? Please comment.

MemberMember
(@justsomeguy44)

Posted : 06/28/2012 10:12 pm

Sounds like a major dead skin issue.

This went away for me after I exfoliated with a wet washcloth gently a long time ago. Not Regimen recommended for sure though.

Have you tried using AHA? That should exfoliate pretty well, and is definitely recommended.

MemberMember
(@missy-2)

Posted : 06/29/2012 12:31 am

I personally use glycerin after akl recommended it. I love it. I really think you should look into it.

MemberMember
(@xbeautyxxkillzx)

Posted : 06/29/2012 1:04 am

AHA AHA & more AHA!!! It is the best exfoliator ever! I finally gave up on using benzoyl peroxide in the way the regimen dictates.. It was far too drying & made me just as miserable as when I had acne. About a month ago I began applying a generous amount of AHA & 5 drops of jojoba oil right after I take a shower, let it dry, and put a thin layer of BP over it. My skin is super soft & smooth and is staying more clear than it was when I was using more benzoyl peroxide. Go figure.. Listen to your skin.. If you're that far in & the dryness isn't improving you may want to try a different approach with Dan's products. I'm damn glad that I finally diverged & found a regimen that is working way better for me. Best of luck to you!

MemberMember
(@flyboy)

Posted : 06/29/2012 1:48 am

Im having the exact same problem, only im four months in! Aha has worked wonders on my back and neck so perhaps it is time to try it on my face.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/29/2012 9:29 am

AHA AHA & more AHA!!! It is the best exfoliator ever! I finally gave up on using benzoyl peroxide in the way the regimen dictates.. It was far too drying & made me just as miserable as when I had acne. About a month ago I began applying a generous amount of AHA & 5 drops of jojoba oil right after I take a shower, let it dry, and put a thin layer of BP over it. My skin is super soft & smooth and is staying more clear than it was when I was using more benzoyl peroxide. Go figure.. Listen to your skin.. If you're that far in & the dryness isn't improving you may want to try a different approach with Dan's products. I'm damn glad that I finally diverged & found a regimen that is working way better for me. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the tip, I've heard good things about AHA but I fear that my skin is very sensitive and may not react well to it. I've heard of some people developing Eczema from it... But hey maybe should give it a try! :D

MemberMember
(@clearbyjune30)

Posted : 06/29/2012 9:57 am

Thanks for the tip, I've heard good things about AHA but I fear that my skin is very sensitive and may not react well to it. I've heard of some people developing Eczema from it... But hey maybe should give it a try! biggrin.png

Im also 3 months into the regimen and about 95% clear now. It was pretty bad when i started though. My skin was CRAZY dry and FLAKY i didnt wanna go out.

AHA definitly helps with exfoliating some dead skin cells but i found using it everyday wasnt the complete answer.

THE SOLUTION: Less bp, like wayyyyyy less. Sure u might b prone to a blemish here and there, but your skin WILL return to normal.

I went down to 1 pump at first, then half a pump, and now im at about 0.3 of a pump 2x a day.

I also still use AHA sometimes maybe 2x a week. only if i feel like i need it.

Sure i have 2 small blemishes, but i have my smooth, soft, FLAKE FREE skin back.

If u start breakoing out just up your bp till u find a perfect balance. Im still searching for my balace. But trust me it works! Goodluck!

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 06/29/2012 1:38 pm

Have you tried jojoba oil?

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/29/2012 5:30 pm

Have you tried jojoba oil?

Yes, I use it twice a day

Thanks for the tip, I've heard good things about AHA but I fear that my skin is very sensitive and may not react well to it. I've heard of some people developing Eczema from it... But hey maybe should give it a try! biggrin.png

Im also 3 months into the regimen and about 95% clear now. It was pretty bad when i started though. My skin was CRAZY dry and FLAKY i didnt wanna go out.

AHA definitly helps with exfoliating some dead skin cells but i found using it everyday wasnt the complete answer.

THE SOLUTION: Less bp, like wayyyyyy less. Sure u might b prone to a blemish here and there, but your skin WILL return to normal.

I went down to 1 pump at first, then half a pump, and now im at about 0.3 of a pump 2x a day.

I also still use AHA sometimes maybe 2x a week. only if i feel like i need it.

Sure i have 2 small blemishes, but i have my smooth, soft, FLAKE FREE skin back.

If u start breakoing out just up your bp till u find a perfect balance. Im still searching for my balace. But trust me it works! Goodluck!

I don't have a really bad acne problem right now thanks to the regimen, but I do think that I'm using way too much BP, I don't think my skin is used to being this dry, nor does it need to be this dry. I think I can definitely cut down, thanks for the tips.

MemberMember
(@xbeautyxxkillzx)

Posted : 07/09/2020 10:41 am

So it is has been 8 years since my post where I switched from using mainly BP due to insane dryness to only the AHA lotion and to this very day am still doing just that. The AHA lotion that is sold on acne.org saved my skin - I wish you all could see it. I get compliments on it every day from random strangers. I rarely get blemishes anymore, and if I do they are small and go away very quickly. My skin looks incredible. 8 years ago when I came on this website looking for a solution my skin was a blown out acne nightmare. I cried everyday and I was at the point where I thought I was going to need Acutane or some horrendous drastic measure like that to clear my skin. (Not to offend anyone who has gone that route, I'm just referring to theawful side effects that may come from taking it.) Currently my regimen with the acne.org products is this: moisturize all over my face with the AHA lotion 2x daily and spot treat in acne prone areas with the BP treatment. I have been doing this for the last 8 years and my skin is literal perfection. I did the regimen as Dan recommends initially and it did clear my skin but after 4 months I could not stick with it due to the EXTREME dryness. AHA has been the answer from heaven above with a little bit of BP. Without these two I don't know what I'd do! They are a God send.. Thank you Dan for creating such wonderful high quality affordable products - they have quite literally changed my life and given me more confidence than I have ever had! I am forever grateful. And PLEASE NEVER STOP SELLING THEM!!! I think about this all of the time - if they weren't available to purchase any longer I don't know what I'd do.

Lsclark liked
MemberMember
(@anh-phung-prgmail-com)

Posted : 08/06/2020 8:58 pm

Hi i just want to say thank you for the update. I started the regimen 8months ago and it cleared my skin up so well! Still really trouble with the dryness so I came here tonight to find some ways to counter it. I also use the AHA. I will try decrease the bp then. Hopefully the dry patches will go away