Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi. I stumbled across acne.org a little over a week ago, and decided to give it a try. Here's a bit about my skin story:

I'm fifteen going on sixteen, and started having acne about age 12. My skin had always been very nice, and I didn't have blackheads or little bumps; only a few times a year I'd have a very big ugly looking pimple on my nose or chin, certainly hormonal. I'd use On The Spot or any other mild Salicylic Acid drugstore product, which didn't really help but it didn't bother me that much.

Age 13 was similar, but a little worse. More often than not I had a red spot, still not that big of a deal. I started seeing a dermatologist, who suggested a mild but more expensive treatment from La Roche, and a face wash for oily skin. Also didn't help much.

And it kept worsening through the years. I've tried pretty much every over the counter and drugstore brand, and none made a huge difference on my skin. As I turned fifteen mid-2011, my skin was hands down the worst comparing it to my friends'. It was never clear, always had at least a couple small bumps, and, in the bad days, many of them, also with bigger, but fewer, whiteheads, always in the chin. I was using adapalene + clindamycin every day, and washing it twice a day, just like the derm said, and it did virtually nothing to me. It didn't get worse, but it never got better, and I HATED feeling dirty, and pimply, and disgusting, when all my friends had beautiful, glowy skin and never even washed it.

From the beginning of the year until May my skin got A LOT better. I started using this brand called Mario Badescu, that had amazing reviews, and I was so excited in the first months: maybe, just maybe, my problems with acne had come to an end. But, last month, my skin just got wild. I had many red bumps and whiteheads, and I'm sure being gentler with my sensitive skin would've helped, but I've never had a breakout like this before. A week later, none of them had healed, and not even makeup was concealing it well. Needless to say, I freaked out.

So, last week, I started the Regimen. I've had experiences with benzyl peroxide before, but nothing remarkable. But I applied an old PanOxyl I had and, the following day, the improvement on my skin was incredible. Sure, it was quite red, but many of the spots had vanished, and the bigger ones were a lot smaller. I started applying it twice a day, and my skin got very dry and flaky, and eventually (about the 3rd day) got burnt, and started scaling. A bummer, but I reckon I got too excited and jumped a lot of steps. So I stopped the regimen for a couple of days, moisturized a lot, and it got a lot better, so I started it again on Monday, 3 days ago. I was SO embarrassed in school because my chin was a mess, and the makeup just made it look worse, but I swallowed my vanity and got back to the Regimen. The skin was still a bit dry, but with new, inflamed and horrible pimples. My mom is a doctor and told me to use topical tretinoin 3 times a week, and bp 4.

So, last night, was the tretinoin day. Today I woke up, and I didn't believe the mirror. The pimples from the night before were much, much worse, and I started crying and begged my mom not to go to school. You may thing it's such a childish thing to do, but whatever. All my school friends are spoiled judgemental babies, and, though they wouldn't say anything to my face, I'm certain they would say it behind my back. So I applied the 5% bp, and almost instantly my skin calmed down. It peeled a little bit, but the pimples were smaller and less red, so I was very happy. But in the afternoon the full-sized little monsters were back, just in time to the 2nd time of the regimen. It did nothing, if anything the skin got worse. I worked out a few hours later, showered, and didn't reapply the bp; I just used the Mario Badescu Seaweed Lotion. I attached a picture of about 15 seconds ago for reference.

Any suggestions, words of kindness, tips? I'm going crazy obssessing over it.

Thanks for even taking the time for reading my teenage drama queen story, but I really needed to get this off my chest. I'm too embarrassed to talk about it with most of my friends, and I'm sure they wouldn't make fun of me, but they don't know how powerless and ugly I feel.

Bye!

Oh, by the way: I only use oil-free, non-comedogenic products, I avoid harsh ingredients, I wash my makeup brushes often, I wear sunscreen, and all of the other basic stuff everyone knows they should do.

Today I woke up with clearer skin. Since it reacted pretty badly to the big amounts of bp, I decided to use it only once a day, right when I get back from school, so it has still the whole day to work its magic. The results were pretty good. At the end of school the makeup had worn off, but not more than it usually does, since I don't like retouching. The flaking and peeling was minimum, and, even though the red spots were quite visible, they weren't embarrassing anymore (no whiteheads, or big inflamed ones). Big improvement!

So I just applied the bp, and it was stinging like hell, and the skin got super red (it still is very red, actually), and I hope it doesn't get burnt again. I'll post a picture at night.

xx

snapshot201206292.jpg

This is how it looks tonight. You can see the chin area is red, and it still hurts a bit. But the pimples are mainly gone, there are only about 3 small ones, and the annoying one in the side of my mouth that is quite painful but is also healing.

If it's still sensitive and red tomorrow, I'll try using the bp every other day.

And if some of you wonder why I only post pictures of my chin, it's because I only have acne there. Once in a long while I'll have one in the nose or forehead, but they're most of the time pimple- and blackhead-free, lucky me! I can't really figure out why, crazy skin/hormones I guess.

Day 10

I'm SO mad right now. I woke up with about 3 new small whiteheads, AND my chin started scaling a bit! I don't know what to do, really. I can't apply bp because I'm sure it would hurt my skin even more, but if I don't, I'll keep getting new zits. I'm moisturizing like crazy so it heals soon and I can get right back to the bp!!

Why the hell did this start happening to me?? My skin was horrible before the Regimen, but now its not only pimple-y, it's also super sensitive and red and flaky!! I'm so embarrassed to leave the house, and today I planned a small party with my friends back here. I need a miracle ASAP.

Edited by abcd96

Good news: the spots that appeared today are almost gone! I applied a little 0,05% tretinoin because it does not seem to irritate my skin, and I didn't want to leave it without any kind of acne treatment. It looks MUCH better than it did in the morning.

2k4v7s.jpg

Day 11

I woke up with a MAJOR pimple on the side of my nose, and a few tiny red spots (the ones that love to grow to full-sized zits) over my upper lip. I didn't apply bp yesterday, but applied the tiniest bit on my chin in the morning, and it did nothing at all, just more redness and flakiness. I'm so frustrated, because I hoped by now my skin would be more used to the bp, but nope. Still as irritated as ever. I NEED the Regimen to start clearing my skin by Saturday, because I have a super fancy event and wouldn't be very pleased at arriving there with a disgusting acne/flake face. Bad day.

Day 12

The big pimple on my nose is almost gone. I popped it yesterday before sleeping, and it immediately shrunk in size. Thank goodness.

Not many news. I have one inflammed, painful but not very big new pimple on my chin, but it's not too bad. The others ones are either the same size or shrinking. I bought a new moisturizer for sensitive skin with calming ingredients (azulene is one of the main ones), and I hope it helps hydrating skin and keeping redness and sensitivity at bay. I'm almost breaking the 3rd week line, and the nightmare of the 2nd one seems to be gone. No more major rashes or flaking, and it stilll stings when I apply bp, but I'm applying small amounts to avoid further irritation. Overall, skin still looks bad, but I'm getting used to it, and I see improvement coming. I'll update tomorrow again. Xx

Day 13

rk4xlc.jpg

wlys8p.jpg

14bkius.jpg

Today's pictures. The moisturizer for sensitive skin isn't actually a moisturizer, it's more of a treatment for calming rashes from lasers or peelings, but it works very well. Skin is a lot clearer, and answers better to bp (though I think that's because it's getting used to it) The few unusual spots in my upper lip are still there. but the ones on my chin are almost gone. However, I still have some painful not very big ones on my chin, not for long I hope. It still stings a lot when I apply the bp, but no more peeling at all, and this is great news because makeup goes on much better. That's it for today, xx

Day 14

Peeled badly today for some reason. No new pimples, but the old active ones are painful and inflammed. Just popped a couple of them with a (sterilized) needle, and they are apparently better. I know it doesn't help at all, but I couldn't resist picking at skin. The sensitive skin cream shows improvement in redness, flaking and irritation almost immediately.

Skin SUCKS today. It's unbelievably peely and flaky, and a bit red, and I still have the old pimples (no new ones though), I'll post a picture later. I've had many comments and questions about what happened to my skin, and I feel so embarrassed. No one made any mean remarks, but I can't help trying to hide my face or avoid eye contact. I hate feeling like this. Today is the 15th day, which means I'm in my 3rd week, and no improvements whatsoever. It is less sensitive to the bp, but no clearing. In a week I'll see a derm again to figure out if I'll start with oral retinoids or if I should stick to the bp. I won't stop the Regimen until there, but my frustration is gigantic. I expected by now I'd have less pimples, and I do not, and I can't even hide them because of the peeling. Embarrassing.

Update:

ehnw3.jpg

1hp9vl.jpg

2hgu0s1.jpg

Edited by abcd96

The Regimen is taking such a toll on my self esteem. I always managed to conceal my acne, in the bad days makeup didn't hide it but they would go away quickly. It's been 2 full weeks of bad skin, going to school every day with a red, peeling face still full of zits. I have an important party in two days and I'm seriously considering not going because I'd be so humiliated to show up with my face like this. I know I shouldn't feel like this, but I do. I don't want to go to school anymore, I avoid leaving the house as much as possible, I haven't exercised much. I cried several times in front of the mirror because of this.

I decided to quit the Regimen. So far, it's done way more harm than good. I'll update again to inform whether skin improves or not.

My skin is better without the Regimen. No more redness and sensitivity, and roughly half of the smaller pimples are either gone or noticeably smaller. I do have 2 new big ones and a few blackheads, but it's still better than it was. I've been cleansing once in the morning and once in the afternoon, and I'm moisturizing lots and lots. I noticed that it helps healing old ones and preventing increase in size of new ones. Thursday (in 3 days) I'll go to the derm to decide how to proceed medication-wise, because I'm afraid my current regimen won't prevent pimples on the long run. Overall, I'm happy with my decision, and I expect skin to be clear-ish until next week. Xx

Skin is much, much better since I stopped with bp. I'm washing my face about three times a day (I know it's more than it should, but I have my reasons), applying a lot of moisturizer during the day, and adapalene 0,1% + clindamycin 1% at night. I also pop big whiteheads with sterilized needles, which I found VERY helpful. Once the pus is gone (icky), the pimple gets much, much smaller and less swollen. Also, it heals faster.

The only problem I still have is the hyperpigmentation left from old zits. Makeup hides it quite well, but without it, they look like actual pimples. See it for yourself:

sp9fmp.jpg

The derm appointment is tomorrow, and I'll update with how I'll proceed with my acne treatment. Xx

Goodluck! Keep us updated! smile.png

Thanks!

Today I went to the derm, and she prescribed me an oral antibiotic (lymecyclin, gentler than isotretinoin). I'll start taking it when I go back to school, in August.

Skin is pretty much the same. I've had a facial with the derm, and the existing pimples are slightly better now. The acne is totally coverable, and the big zits are almost 100% healed. The tiny little ones are annoying, but only noticeable from close. I guess I can say skin is back to normal.

Thanks!

Today I went to the derm, and she prescribed me an oral antibiotic (lymecyclin, gentler than isotretinoin). I'll start taking it when I go back to school, in August.

Skin is pretty much the same. I've had a facial with the derm, and the existing pimples are slightly better now. The acne is totally coverable, and the big zits are almost 100% healed. The tiny little ones are annoying, but only noticeable from close. I guess I can say skin is back to normal.

Thats really good to hear! Hope what your derm gave you works! :) Acne sucks especially when you have to go to school! Lol luckily were on break right, so i just basically stay indoor half the time. Its nice to relax and not have to worry about going out with my skin looking crappy.lol

Thanks!

Thats really good to hear! Hope what your derm gave you works! smile.png Acne sucks especially when you have to go to school! Lol luckily were on break right, so i just basically stay indoor half the time. Its nice to relax and not have to worry about going out with my skin looking crappy.lol

Thank you! I really hope it works too. And yeah, it sucks big time, but I'm trying to see it as a lesson. While skin was awful my self esteem plummeted, but people were much more supportive than I'd expect. I'm also trying to keep in mind that acne is a condition, and while I'm doing my best to cure it, it's not under my control.

zml6c2.jpg

24ypgn9.jpg

w1e07a.jpg

Most of the redness is hyperpigmentation left from older pimples. Right now, I have 1 small active whitehead.

Hey! Hows it going? smile.png

Hi! No improvements yet, and I'm in day 4. I might not see results until the 30th day =( Skin isn't terrible though, just the same small pimples all over chin and upper lip. Hope it heals soon, and thanks for asking!

Update:

2evc4lv.jpg

a0xbfr.jpg

e9asko.jpg

Nothing new.

P.s.:Most of the red spots are fading spots, I have about 6 small active pimples, only on the chin.

Edited by abcd96

Update #2

17qmw3.jpg

yyvm9.jpg

2z57nlu.jpg

No active pimples - big improvement! However, I have countless little red spots (blackheads, but a bit inflamed) that are annoying the hell out of me. I'm still on the oral antibiotic + Epiduo regimen, and started applying an AHA (Kojic acid) mask daily. I hope the red spots fade.

Oh my!!!! I can say about 90% of all acne has cleared up, even the hyperpigmentation!! I'm SO excited, it was taking such a toll on my confidence and now it's almost gone! The pictures I've been taking are increasingly bad because spots aren't so noticeable, so I decided to stop updating pictures (I will however post a "final" photo when skin is clear for proper closure).

My current regimen is:

Tetralysal (300mg lymecyclin) once a day

Epiduo (adapalene + benzyl peroxide) at nights

Oily skin cleanser (not available at US) twice a day

Eucerin non-comedogenic moisturizer about 3 times a day

Mario Badescu Whitening Mask (with AHA) every other day

Mario Badescu Healing Cream once a day

Azulene cream (not available at US) twice a week - for hyperpigmentation

Just an observation about popping pimples: it only works for full-grown, whitehead ones!! DON'T try to pop blackheads or pimples without whiteheads, because you'll end up with big red scars that take SO long to fade!! Tried and true.

Skin got worse this week, but I'm on my period, so I hope it'll pass soon. I had this week a total nervous breakdown because I'm stressing about the skin, and school, and my body, and I'm just trying to be perfect at eveything all the time, which probably had some influence in the breakout I got. Trying to chill about it though.

I'll update if skin gets better/worse.