Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't think there is any truth to that. I would assume it's because the older you are, the longer it takes for new skin to regenerate and replace the older skin.

There is an endless amount of cleansers that supposedly "control" oily skin. It's basically a trial-and-error process to find out what works for you. Personally, I prefer not to strip my skin and use a gentle cleanser such as Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash. You can blot your skin throughout the day with blotting papers, or a piece of tissue.

*edited to add that some people recommend milk-of-magnesia mask once a week.*

The more you strip the oil form your skin, the more your oil glands will pump out to compensate. It's an endless cycle and the only way to win is by doing the opposite of what logic would dictate. In other words, to turn off your oil glands, apply something oily. I use jojoba myself.

Thats such a wives tale...I know ALMOST everyone on this site says that if you strip sebum more will be produced. The problem is sebum glands dont "run" on a negative feedback mechanism. The gands produce oil regardless of the amount of sebum on the outer layer of your skin. The glands are triggered by internal factors not external. I wish it wasnt the case. The only thing about over drying one's skin is it can lead to irritation and an increased number of dead skin cells ='s possible breakouts.

That would be extremely easy to prove one way or another. Simply apply a large amount of rubbing alcohol to 1 side of the face and see if both sides are equally oily in a couple of hours. Anyone with oily skin want to try it?

I do not want to try it, OldGuy, can I call you OG? biggrin.gif

I also have never seen this improvement in oil that is supposed to occur from moisturizing. I am trying the jojoba this time in hopes it will nourish my dryish skin without causing break outs.

Of course you may call me OG. May I call you Emma baby? wink.gif

You should like jojoba Emma baby, it's very mild. *me ducks*

That still wouldnt be the case. There could be other reasons not just, I removed my sebum and my skin now knows to produce more. Why then are some people oiler on some days more than other days. Maybe it could be the irritation from the alch that causes you to produce more sebum, or that you seem to see more sebum cause your skin was once dry. The reasons are endless. The rooster doesnt bring the sunrise; the sun rises thats a fact. The fact is what stimulates the sebum gland to produce sebum doesnt revolve around a negative feedback loop that is so popular around here. Many people with or without acne use alchol based products and do not produce extra amounts of sebum; my sister, gf, mom, brother, they dont have a shine brewing. What makes someone oily more than others relates to the amount of sebum glands they have and the rate at whcih the glands release sebum. The last part is the most important and still not known in depth yet. What about teenagers that are going through puberty. They begin to produce sebum because of the internal factors, not external ones. Right? Its not because they are over drying thier skin. Like I said earlier its a mainstay here on these forums and I m not going to start a flame against so many. The information and yes even studies are out there although limited. I'm still on the same page because over drying your skin is bad in general...So do what works for you since thats what couts.

You cannot wash away all of the oil on your skin. In fact excessive washing can worsen oily skin. The irritation of overwashing can actually stimulate the production of more oil.

http://www.acneworld.com/resources/faq.html

Overwashing or scrubbing too hard actually stimulates the skin to produce more zit-causing oil.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pb...79/COLUMNISTS02

When skin is dry, it produces more oil and the oil is more likely to become trapped in pores.

http://www.healthychild.com/database/acne_...age_problem.htm

Convinced yet?

I really like jojoba oil. It helps cleanse clogged pores. It does not make me break out.

By the way, I have extremly oily skin. I use the Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets to help absorb the excess oil.

For you ladies, for special nights I use "SuperMatte anti-shine" under my make-up. This works amazingly well and helps control the shine and gives my face a matte look. My face still gets oily but this helps reduce it dramatically. I love it. I bought it at makeupartistschoice.com

I didnt know we were using .com sites or the "famous" Jane Sheppard to give us answer's on sebum production. Since those sites are very, very scientific. Not to mention that great site acneworld sells products.

1. I never said you could wash away all the sebum.

2. Overwashing or Scrubbing...not just overwashing. Relates back to irritation more than stripping sebum

3. "oil is more likely to become trapped in pores." thats a convincing statement...Its more like when skin is dry there are extra dead skin cells thus trapping oil in the pore.

Cause and effect

The more you strip the oil form your skin, the more your oil glands will pump out to compensate. It's an endless cycle and the only way to win is by doing the opposite of what logic would dictate. In other words, to turn off your oil glands, apply something oily.

Here's a discussion by my friend Kevin Davis of the Old Wive's Tale about how washing the skin stimulates the production of more sebum. It's from a post on the Usenet newsgroup alt.baldspot from three years ago. One of the authors of the paper he cites is the famous Dr. Albert Kligman, the most authoritative name in the history of dermatology!

----------------------------------------

Subject: Re: Too much sebum

Newsgroups: alt.baldspot

Date: 2001-06-03 12:49:48 PST

Here is a study which discusses sebum production and the factors that affect it. I also posted a paragraph from this study which discusses the false notion of a feedback system.

Bottom-line: washing your skin does not affect sebum production one way or the other (although washing will certainly remove sebum from the skin surface).

Kevin Davis

"Sebum secretion and sebaceous lipids." - published in Dermatologic Clinics, Vol. 1, No. 3, July 1983.

Excerpt (Note: the asterisks in the excerpt represent italics in the actual paper):

"... These observations gave rise to a long-lived fallacy (1927-1957) that was posthumously christened the "feedback theory" by Kligman and Shelley (23). The idea was that sebaceous glands secrete only when necessary to replenish lipid that has been wiped or washed away. Nothing known about the physiology of sebaceous glands gives any theoretical support to this concept, and it has been thoroughly disproved experimentally (23). *Sebum is secreted continuously.* The reason that lipid levels eventually cease to increase apparently is that the skin can hold only a certain amount of lipid in its crevices, and the rest tends to flow away from sites of high sebum production (23)."

I'm loving this!! Intelligent debate! I actually read a post from another site that effectively said that a child's skin healed better because they hadn't been exposed to the environmental factors and nutritional demons, effectively, that adults have.

I'm sorry but it's a well known fact that children have extremely high cell turn over and that it aides the healing process. Thus children's scars often lessen or disappear entirely by the time they reach adulthood. Not always of course depending on the degree of trauma.

Anyhow I am off topic. I know my skin goes from matte to shine with no apparent provocation. It can't just be hormones that regulate sebum production or one's skin wouldn't get oily in temperate climates. Come to Canada. In the winter it's beautiful you will have nice dry skin, cracked lips and static cling hair. Love it!

Bring your toques, eh! wink.gif

Hahhha

I just ruined that intelligent discussion. Sorry! Must go back on my meds razz.gif

The question is what hormones? Testostorne, yes but to what degree. DHT, type I or II. One is located in the sex organs the other in skin cells, which does more or even anything. The point is that its not known in DEPTH why or how sebum is produced/controlled. The point about teenagers had to do with internal causes not external causes.

Regardless if you cant access the usnet group the refrence is still there from Bryans post.

"Sebum secretion and sebaceous lipids." - published in Dermatologic Clinics, Vol. 1, No. 3, July 1983

In order to have chronic ongoing acne issues, we'll call them, numerous factors must be involved. I've seen women with noticeable facial hair and great skin. Now you can't tell me they don't have hormone issues. It's such a complicated, involved system...if we only understood a fraction of the information there is to know about the human animal. confused.gif

From personal experience:

- When I wash with a gentle cleanser twice a day then my skin isn't too oily.

- When I use what I consider to be a harsh cleanser or harsh toner then my skin seems to become more oily than normal.

- When I put oily substances on my face (i.e. most moisturizers) my skin seems to become more oily than normal.

I believe that everyones' skin is different and what may work for me may not work for anyone else. Just my thoughts.