Notifications
Clear all

Just Started Accutane!

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 06/28/2012 8:26 am

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum although I have used/read things on this website for quite some time.

I have had acne for as long as I remember, I started getting spots when I was about 9/10 years old, but when I became a teenager the acne really hit me bad. I started getting huge painful cysts on my cheeks that wouldnt go away for aaaages. At one point I actually had loads of these cysts on one of my cheeks and they all joined together, this took a long long time to go away but left me with scarring where they had been. The sorest most stubborn ones were in the centre of my cheeks and my god they shattered my confidence.

At first the scarring was tolerable, and I still felt ok to go out without make-up on to so simple things like go to the shops. But since then around every six moths I had gotten another big cyst on the exact same area. So the scarring is much worse now, to the point that it makes me cry and I literally cant take the bins out without putting my make-up on. I can hardly look people in the eye because I notice their eyes darting about my face looking at the scars. I can't look at myself in a mirror in direct sunlight because it's too depressing for me.

I have been put on many different antibiotics by my GP and have used Benzoyl Peroxide all the way upto 10% but, although the Benzoyl Peroxide does still help to dry out the spots, it doesn't work nearly as well as it did when I first started using it. I was also put on Dianette, the birth control pill, which cleared up my skin brilliantly!! Unfortunately you can't stay on this for too long though because it can cause blood clots and whatever. It is only a temporary fix for spots, but it does not really get rid of the wee black heads and oil n stuff.

Anyway, I'm now 22 and a few months ago I went to see my GP a couple of months ago about the scarring as I hadn't had any spots for a good few months (an amazing few months). He gave me a referal to see a dermatolagist. About a week before my appointment I came out in a huuuge cyst on my cheek where the worst scarring is, and another cyst on my chin, both very sore. TYPICAL EH! So I thought, right, I'd read alot about accutane so I'm going to ask for that, because I'm just sick of it now.

I wasn't sure if the derm would prescribe me it because my acne isn't as bad as it once was but she agreed straight away, and I burst out crying. She was so nice, and seemed like she really cared. It's amazing how someone just being nice and sympathetic towards your situation can make you feel so much better. I'm so glad I didn't know about the blood tests because I had never had one before and I'm not sure if I would have been as quick to ask for accutane had I known this. I got the blood test straight away and it was no bother at all! I am actually going to start giving blood once I'm off the accutane because it really didn't hurt at all!

I was given a months worth of accutane at 30mg a day straight away, and have to go back in a months time for more and another blood test and pregnancy test.

All the horror stories I have heard about accutane have not affected how I see this treatment. I just want to go to university in a few months and feel confident. The derm said that the accutane might actually help clear some of my scarring as well so BRING IT ON!

Apologies for the long post, I realised when I was at the derm and actually explaining how I feel, that I need to talk more about my situation, because I literally bottle it up and dont talk to anyone about it. I am on my third day taking the accutane, I know its early but I haven't experienced any side effects yet. I have stocked up on some good moisturising products for when the dryness starts though.

Anyway, thanks to whoever has read this and it would be awesome to talk to and share stories with anyone in the same situation as myself.

Thanks guys :)

MemberMember
(@supernatualfanatic)

Posted : 06/28/2012 8:44 am

Hey love! I'm so glad you're able to start Accutane. I was the same way about not looking at people when talking to them because of my acne. I would call into work, school, and cancel on friends. I friends every antibiotic out there, and BP, which was awesome but lost it's affect with me. I started Accutane 3 months ago, I'm a week into my third month, and it is great. It may get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. I still am beaking out a little bit, but my overall complexion is looking much better. I just can't wait to stop breaking out :P. That's really good you stocked up on moisturizers, cause your skin will get pretty dry. Also, for your lips you should use Aquaphor, it's amazing! You may get more tired and weak, and feel crabby, but that is the Accutane talking, it can be a bitch, but hang in there! We're all here for you.

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 06/28/2012 8:53 am

Hey love! I'm so glad you're able to start Accutane. I was the same way about not looking at people when talking to them because of my acne. I would call into work, school, and cancel on friends. I friends every antibiotic out there, and BP, which was awesome but lost it's affect with me. I started Accutane 3 months ago, I'm a week into my third month, and it is great. It may get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. I still am beaking out a little bit, but my overall complexion is looking much better. I just can't wait to stop breaking out tongue.png. That's really good you stocked up on moisturizers, cause your skin will get pretty dry. Also, for your lips you should use Aquaphor, it's amazing! You may get more tired and weak, and feel crabby, but that is the Accutane talking, it can be a bitch, but hang in there! We're all here for you.

Aaaww thanks! I'm so glad I joined this forum, makes you realise you are not alone! I am the exact same when I break out, totally anti-social! I've noticed some of my friends becoming quite annoyed with this, as if I am ignoring them. I don't tell any of my friends about how my acne makes me feel because I'm too embarassed to mention it. I feel as though if I don't talk to them about it, then they don't know it's there haha. I think they know to a certain extent that it does bother me, becausr they don't bring it up and they always look me straight in the eye.

Yeah my derm warned me about the breakouts but I'm past caring about that, been breaking out all my life so it's nothing new lol :P I'm on day three and I can feel my skin is already more oily and I can feel bumps on my forehead, and I haven't had spots on my forehead for years! I'm actually kind of welcoming them because then I know the accutane is working :) Thanks for your reply! I will defo be looking into getting some of this Aquaphor stuff :)

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 06/28/2012 2:58 pm

:) Good luck with your course!

I've also just started accutane (well a week ago-ish) and am in the UK! I was also surprised how quickly my derm prescribed it given the battle I had with my GP over the referral. Love the NHS, but sometimes they just give you so many hoops to jump through before sorting something!

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 06/28/2012 9:08 pm

Good luck with your course! I can't wait to read about your progress. You'll have clear skin before you know it! :)

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 06/29/2012 7:56 am

Good luck with your course! I can't wait to read about your progress. You'll have clear skin before you know it! smile.png

Thank you so much! :) I see you are on your second month, how has accutane treated you so far? I woke up today and scratched my nose to realise that both sides of my nose are rather tender to touch, I can only imagine its the accutane doing this as I've never experienced this before, it's actually a wee bit sore. Oh dear, hopefully I'm not gunna break out in big cysts there haha :P

smile.png Good luck with your course!

I've also just started accutane (well a week ago-ish) and am in the UK! I was also surprised how quickly my derm prescribed it given the battle I had with my GP over the referral. Love the NHS, but sometimes they just give you so many hoops to jump through before sorting something!

Yeah the NHS is great! I've read some stories from the states and they've splashed out hundereds of dollars to get this drug, makes you really appreciate it eh! I also didn't realise that people had to fight to get accutane, I really didn't have a problem getting that, or getting the referal to the derm. Feel very lucky :)

Anyway, very best of luck to you! I will have a look for your logs and keep up to date :) I have woken up today with the outside of my nose being quite sore lol! Only day four but I can't imagine what else is causing this. It feels as though a big cyst is about emerge from each side of my nose but there's no bump or redness yet, so fingers crossed I don't look like Rhudolph by the time I go back to work on Monday lol!

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 06/29/2012 7:57 am

Thank you so much! smile.png I see you are on your second month, how has accutane treated you so far? I woke up today and scratched my nose to realise that both sides of my nose are rather tender to touch, I can only imagine its the accutane doing this as I've never experienced this before, it's actually a wee bit sore. Oh dear, hopefully I'm not gunna break out in big cysts there haha tongue.png

So far everything has been going really well. I haven't experienced a bad initial breakout. I have had maybe 15 new zits since I started, which sounds like a lot, but most were all little bumps that went away within a day or two. I've only had about three major breakouts, so I've been pretty lucky.

Sorry about your nose! Accutane thins the skin and makes it very sensitive. I've found random tiny cuts on my arms and had no idea where they came from! It's crazy.

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 06/29/2012 8:00 am

Thank you so much! smile.png I see you are on your second month, how has accutane treated you so far? I woke up today and scratched my nose to realise that both sides of my nose are rather tender to touch, I can only imagine its the accutane doing this as I've never experienced this before, it's actually a wee bit sore. Oh dear, hopefully I'm not gunna break out in big cysts there haha tongue.png

So far everything has been going really well. I haven't experienced a bad initial breakout. I have had maybe 15 new zits since I started, which sounds like a lot, but most were all little bumps that went away within a day or two. I've only had about three major breakouts, so I've been pretty lucky.

Sorry about your nose! Accutane thins the skin and makes it very sensitive. I've found random tiny cuts on my arms and had no idea where they came from! It's crazy.

That doesn't dound too bad at all! I hope my breakouts are similar to yours then! :) I'm not too worried about breaking out, more about WHERE they break out. If I can manage to get through this course without any big cysts on the patch of scarring on my cheek then I'll be over the moon. But I'm preparing myself for the worst!

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 06/29/2012 8:06 am

Yeah, it definitely hasn't been bad at all for me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way! eusa_pray.gif I'm not sure if it has to do with the fact that I had mild/moderate acne to begin with or because doxycycline purged my skin a bit just before I started Accutane. Who knows... As long as things don't get worse, I'm happy! Lol.

Hopefully you won't have a bad initial breakout! And hopefully nothing pops up on your cheek! If you do start breaking out, just remember to stay strong and think positive. You will have clear skin by the end of your course! :)

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 06/30/2012 9:05 am

Heyyy so thought I'd do a log because I'm starting to notice the accutane working. Today is day 5, and last night when I was wiping off my make-up, it felt like I was wiping off more than make-up, alsmot like I was wiping off small particles of dry skin too. Got the fright of my life last night too, after I wiped my makeup off I stupidly touched the cyst I've had on my cheek since before my derm appointment. This had been gradually going away but last night it was a big sore, tender bubble again. I though "Oh God no, please don't let the IB play with this cyst, pleeeease!". So, I couldn't help myself, I grabbed my benzoyl peroxide 10% and gently rubbed some on the cyst. The way the cyst felt, I didn't really have any hope that it would go down by morning but I couldn't bring myself to just leave it alone.

Anyway, I woke up this morning and the cyst is less than half the size it was last night! HURRAAHHH!! Couldn't believe it, not too sure but it doesn't seem as though it's going to scar as bad as they usually do either. I also woke up today with a POOL of oil all over my T-zone! So I went and washed my face, I could feel my skin is more tender now, like it has slight sun burn. After washing my face I was actually quite pleased with my skin, I look like I have a slight sun tan hahaha. Haven't noticed dryness on my lips yet but thats because I've been lathering them in Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula Lip Balm since the second I took my first pills. Could feel a wee bit of muscle discomfort at the bottom of my back last night, definately wouldn't call it painful, but you can feel it there sometimes, if you get me.

I still have the spots I had before I started the course, albeit they have improved, but the thing I noticed today was that my skin itself looked nicer once I'd washed away all the oil that had built up overnight. I'm not letting myself get excited though because that's what always happens to me. I think "Oh my skins looking quite good" then BAM....my face is a tomato farm!

Just glad I can feel it working now :)

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 07/01/2012 7:46 am

Heyyy so thought I'd do a log because I'm starting to notice the accutane working. Today is day 5, and last night when I was wiping off my make-up, it felt like I was wiping off more than make-up, alsmot like I was wiping off small particles of dry skin too. Got the fright of my life last night too, after I wiped my makeup off I stupidly touched the cyst I've had on my cheek since before my derm appointment. This had been gradually going away but last night it was a big sore, tender bubble again. I though "Oh God no, please don't let the IB play with this cyst, pleeeease!". So, I couldn't help myself, I grabbed my benzoyl peroxide 10% and gently rubbed some on the cyst. The way the cyst felt, I didn't really have any hope that it would go down by morning but I couldn't bring myself to just leave it alone.

Anyway, I woke up this morning and the cyst is less than half the size it was last night! HURRAAHHH!! Couldn't believe it, not too sure but it doesn't seem as though it's going to scar as bad as they usually do either. I also woke up today with a POOL of oil all over my T-zone! So I went and washed my face, I could feel my skin is more tender now, like it has slight sun burn. After washing my face I was actually quite pleased with my skin, I look like I have a slight sun tan hahaha. Haven't noticed dryness on my lips yet but thats because I've been lathering them in Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula Lip Balm since the second I took my first pills. Could feel a wee bit of muscle discomfort at the bottom of my back last night, definately wouldn't call it painful, but you can feel it there sometimes, if you get me.

I still have the spots I had before I started the course, albeit they have improved, but the thing I noticed today was that my skin itself looked nicer once I'd washed away all the oil that had built up overnight. I'm not letting myself get excited though because that's what always happens to me. I think "Oh my skins looking quite good" then BAM....my face is a tomato farm!

Just glad I can feel it working now smile.png

Such a funny girl=),I`m in day 10 of accutane as you can see , my IB was preatty bad , but at least i know it`s working.

I hope it won`t leave scars or red marks on my face x_X.

Good luck with you`re course heather,lol that reminds my of american pie ^.^.

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 07/01/2012 12:55 pm

Such a funny girl=),I`m in day 10 of accutane as you can see , my IB was preatty bad , but at least i know it`s working.

Haha ach you've gotta laugh at spots sometimes eh! Bloody nuisance that they are!

Aww that's a shame about your IB, I'm on day six and haven't experienced any breakouts yet apart from a few small bumps on my forehead that haven't really been upto much. The sides of my nose are still sore, as if its about to break out there but it's been like that for days and still nothing. I'm not gunna keep my hopes up though lol!

Do you have a log you've been keeping that I can read?

Thankyou so much and best of luck to you too :)

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 07/01/2012 1:48 pm

Haha ach you've gotta laugh at spots sometimes eh! Bloody nuisance that they are!

Aww that's a shame about your IB, I'm on day six and haven't experienced any breakouts yet apart from a few small bumps on my forehead that haven't really been upto much. The sides of my nose are still sore, as if its about to break out there but it's been like that for days and still nothing. I'm not gunna keep my hopes up though lol!

Thankyou so much and best of luck to you too smile.png

I have but only for day 1 , 2, and five if i recall good ,but np I will make one just for you :">.

Day 1 - no change , no side effects.

Day 2- lips are starting to feel dry.

Day 3-the IB starts (3-4 new pimpels)

Day 4-the IB is keep going (2-3 new)

Day 5-no new pimples , but some back pain.

Day 6- the back pain is killing me ,IB stoped , my hands are starting to get dry , dry lips.

Day 7-back pain,a little redness on my face,dry lips,dry hands.

Day 8-my hands are feeling nice ,back pain , IB still stop, but my face is very very dry , my lips too.

Day 9-dry face,back pain,dry lips,chapped.

Today - dry skin ,dry lips , my zits are smaller,back pain.

That`s it , keep my posted with you're status too!!

I have a few questions ^.^ (if u don't mind):

(1)You eat normal?

(2)Are you taking any vitamins like zinc , fish oil , etc?

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 07/01/2012 2:08 pm

I have but only for day 1 , 2, and five if i recall good ,but np I will make one just for you :">.

Day 6- the back pain is killing me ,IB stoped , my hands are starting to get dry , dry lips.

Day 8-my hands are feeling nice ,back pain , IB still stop, but my face is very very dry , my lips too.

(1)You eat normal?

Aww so kind of you to give me a personal log! :P

Interesting that we're both on the same dose but you seem to be getting alot drier skin than me, although I suspect my lips might be drier if I hadn't been putting lip balm on them religiously everyday lol.

No don't mind the questions at all. I don't eat PARTICULARLY well, although I suppose I've been eating a BIT better since starting accutane. I had a McDonals today haha, oooops. I'm definately not eating my five a day, that's for sure, but I've been trying to drink Innocent pure fruit smoothies more often. I've been taking triple strength acia berry capsules, one every day with my dinner, you get them from Holland and Barret. Maybe that's helping me from getting dry skin, god knows, because I was expecting to get dry skin by now! I was actually thinking about the fish oil stuff because I'd seen people posting about taking them so I might have a look into that. I find the make-up I wear to be quite moisturising so perhpas that's helping my skin. Watch this I'll wake up tomorrow with a big flakey face hahaha!

What about yourself, have you been eating well or taking any other vitamins/supplements??

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 07/01/2012 2:11 pm

(1)You eat normal?

Aww so kind of you to give me a personal log! tongue.png

Interesting that we're both on the same dose but you seem to be getting alot drier skin than me, although I suspect my lips might be drier if I hadn't been putting lip balm on them religiously everyday lol.

No don't mind the questions at all. I don't eat PARTICULARLY well, although I suppose I've been eating a BIT better since starting accutane. I had a McDonals today haha, oooops. I'm definately not eating my five a day, that's for sure, but I've been trying to drink Innocent pure fruit smoothies more often. I've been taking triple strength acia berry capsules, one every day with my dinner, you get them from Holland and Barret. Maybe that's helping me from getting dry skin, god knows, because I was expecting to get dry skin by now! I was actually thinking about the fish oil stuff because I'd seen people posting about taking them so I might have a look into that. I find the make-up I wear to be quite moisturising so perhpas that's helping my skin. Watch this I'll wake up tomorrow with a big flakey face hahaha!

What about yourself, have you been eating well or taking any other vitamins/supplements??

Hahaha!

I`ve been takin' vitamin d3 and b12.

I hearth this accutane is like a miracle drug.

Can it fail?

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 07/01/2012 2:14 pm

(1)You eat normal?

Hahaha!

Can it fail?

Well I'm feeling positive and have read loads of success stories so in a few months we will have lovely skin :) don't worry.

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 07/02/2012 12:46 am

(1)You eat normal?

Hahaha!

Can it fail?

Well I'm feeling positive and have read loads of success stories so in a few months we will have lovely skin smile.png don't worry.

Cute girl^.^.

Sooooo a few days back , I had 3 zits all in one spot around my mouth , and this morning I go to the bathroom to wash my face and i saw there are gone!!!

But they left a red spot behind :((, what should I do with that??

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 07/02/2012 1:13 am

Out of interest, since you said your make up is quite moisturing, what are you using?

I used to use the clinique anti blemish and obviously had to change, so now I'm using a mix of old foundations I found in my cupboard! It's such a hassle, I'm definitely on the look out for a new one!

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 07/02/2012 3:06 am

Out of interest, since you said your make up is quite moisturing, what are you using?

I used to use the clinique anti blemish and obviously had to change, so now I'm using a mix of old foundations I found in my cupboard! It's such a hassle, I'm definitely on the look out for a new one!

Hiya! I used Estee Lauder Double Wear (NOT Double Wear Maximum Cover, cannot stress that enough, the stuff is horrible!). It's quite pricey but you don't need to use as much as othr foundations, it just glides on your skin and doesn't take long to apply. Covers up anything red on your face too haha! A wee bit of powder on top gives it a nice finish smile.png

(1)You eat normal?

Hahaha!

Can it fail?

Well I'm feeling positive and have read loads of success stories so in a few months we will have lovely skin smile.png don't worry.

Cute girl^.^.

Sooooo a few days back , I had 3 zits all in one spot around my mouth , and this morning I go to the bathroom to wash my face and i saw there are gone!!!

But they left a red spot behind sad.png(, what should I do with that??

Ummm, the red marks usually fade but I know the likes of sudo cream or bio-oil can help speed up this process. Even some nivea or something should help, but bio oil is my fave smile.png

Sooooo, day 7, Monday morning, back to work and OFCOURSE my IB has officially begun!!! Typical tongue.png

Got a lump on my forehead and a mahooosive thing that has grown overnight at the side of my nose! A place I have not had a spot in yeaaaaaarsss!! Woke up feeling quite nauseous this morning aswel, eek.

Still not experiencing any significant dryness yet.....hmm....we'll see.

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 07/02/2012 4:26 am

Hiya! I used Estee Lauder Double Wear (NOT Double Wear Maximum Cover, cannot stress that enough, the stuff is horrible!). It's quite pricey but you don't need to use as much as othr foundations, it just glides on your skin and doesn't take long to apply. Covers up anything red on your face too haha! A wee bit of powder on top gives it a nice finish smile.png

(1)You eat normal?

Hahaha!

Can it fail?

Cute girl^.^.

But they left a red spot behind sad.png(, what should I do with that??

Ummm, the red marks usually fade but I know the likes of sudo cream or bio-oil can help speed up this process. Even some nivea or something should help, but bio oil is my fave smile.png

Sooooo, day 7, Monday morning, back to work and OFCOURSE my IB has officially begun!!! Typical tongue.png

Got a lump on my forehead and a mahooosive thing that has grown overnight at the side of my nose! A place I have not had a spot in yeaaaaaarsss!! Woke up feeling quite nauseous this morning aswel, eek.

Still not experiencing any significant dryness yet.....hmm....we'll see.

Great news!If your IB has officially started that means the medicine is working!!

Mabye u drink a lot of water and you don't let the dryness take control of you , that's good!

Keep me posted.

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 07/02/2012 9:57 am

Well, I'm definately feeling the accutane kicking in today, came home a bit early from work because the nausea came back and I was lifting some heavy boxes so my back got sore. I completely forgot to pick up my lip blam today and OMG I totally notice the dry lips now, had to run out to the shop and buy some nivea to put on them. Unfortuantely I can feel my face proper breaking out now, not a good day to say the least :( I'm not giving up though, no pain no gain! Going for a wee nap now.

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 07/03/2012 9:55 am

Well, I'm definately feeling the accutane kicking in today, came home a bit early from work because the nausea came back and I was lifting some heavy boxes so my back got sore. I completely forgot to pick up my lip blam today and OMG I totally notice the dry lips now, had to run out to the shop and buy some nivea to put on them. Unfortuantely I can feel my face proper breaking out now, not a good day to say the least sad.png I'm not giving up though, no pain no gain! Going for a wee nap now.

Yup, I've notice that you had a hard day , you really need to sleep now.

Light sleep!

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 07/03/2012 11:17 am

When I woke up from my nap yesterday my heading was POUNDING, felt like I was hungover. Drank loads of water and took some pain killers and it went away, thank god. Horrible day yesterday in terms of how I was feeling in general.

Today, Day 8, feel much much better. Can reaaally feel the bacteria in my skin rising to the surface now. Have came out in a few whiteheads and there seems to be a new cyst brewing on my face but I'm not sure if it will be there too long, feels like one of those false alarm type ones, it's still sore and red none the less. My whole face pretty much feels like its gunna turn into one big zit by tomorrow. Feels horrible wearing make-up, and my make-up is always very comfortable feeling usually. Can't wait til it's night time so I can wash this crap off my face!

STAY POSITIVE :)

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 07/04/2012 10:50 am

Day 9 and I'm feeling very self conscious about my face, planning to hibernate lol. Have noticed I;ve lost weight since starting accutane, not sure if it's related but I will keep an eye on it.

MemberMember
(@heather135)

Posted : 07/09/2012 8:36 am

Day 14 - 2 weeks wooo :D

I have fortunately not had any new actives since I last posted, skin and lips are definately drier though but manageable. The cyst on my cheek is still not fully away and is starting to annoy me, I just hope it doesn't leave more scarring :(

I have a question for someone who has finished their course of accutane or are quite far on in their course - besides getting rid of spots, does accutane improve the general appearance of your skin? I have quite oily skin which has visible pores and blackheads, and some redness in areas. Will the accutane help with this also?