Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spidermanforever

Acne Coming Back After 1 Year Off Accutane

I have suffered from acne from about the age of 12 and have been on numerous topicals and antibiotics and none of these have worked. About a year ago I went on accutane and I cannot describe how great the results were- my face was so clear and I have to admit I regained my self confidence- I could finally look at people in the eye when talking to them as i did not feel embarrassed of my face. The only minor side effects i experienced were dry lips and sometimes the odd nose bleed. Also i don't know how but it helped in evening out my skin tone and there the scarring on my face seemed reduced. However, now my acne has returned and a month ago I had the worst breakout ever on my forehead and cheeks- scarring is still very visible and it is taking a long time to heal. At one stage my face was so bad that I would not feel like going out and sometimes cry ( i know sounds silly). I have also noticed that every few days new spots are appearing on all areas of my face. My face is starting to go back to how it was prior to going back on accutane- dull and oily. I went to the doctors and told her that I do not wish to go back on antibiotics as they have not worked for me in the past and I am scared that in that time if I do go back on them more spots will appear on my face and more scarring. I have now been referred back to my dermatologist. My face has slightly been improving for the past few days but I still get new spots- I have taken pictures of how bad my face has been over the past few months for the dermatologist to see. I have also noticed that the new spots are sometimes very painful also- they were not like this before. Also on my cheeks I have a lot of pock marks and I feel very depressed as I have actually felt how it is like to have a clear face and not having to worry about this- it feels like I'm right back to where I was over a year ago. I was just wondering what is likely to be the next plan of action?

Thanks

not gonna lie, this kind of thing scares the crap out of me. I finish my course in 2 weeks and the idea of it all coming back is just too horrid to contemplate (sorry not very helpful I know). I've always said that if it came back at the same extent as it was pre-accutane, then I'd do another course. From what I've read 2 courses often produces positive results long-term, any more than 2 and the likelihood is that you'll never be clear without some form of medical intervention (eg low-dose maintenance accutane), or at least until you reach a point in your life when you skin is not the oil slick that it is in the teenage/early 20s years. Fingers crossed either way :)

Change your diet. Cola, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, hot spice, refined sugar, junk food are a complete no.

Get a good juicer and start drinking mixed vegetable juice. One cup daily. 2-3 Carrot, 1/2 Cucumber, 2 stalks celery. Jucing book website have some great recipes but those three are a must. If u are desperate u can add pinch of beet and dandelion greens. Also try wheat grass juice. Very powerful juice.

Teff, Oatmeal, mango, papaya, cantaloupes, raw manuka honey with yogurt also helps.

I thought the acne may be linked to my diet but as far as i can tell i am healthy -drink plenty of water, eat a lot of fruit and veg. I hardly ever eat take-outs, chocolates etc...

I thought the acne may be linked to my diet but as far as i can tell i am healthy -drink plenty of water, eat a lot of fruit and veg. I hardly ever eat take-outs, chocolates etc...

What kind of water do you drink?

This is only your first time taking accutane, why give up so easily? If the doctor allows u to take a second time, you should really consider it. This is my 5th time taking accutane. I used to take 40mg from the previous courses for about 4 months each. It gets better everytime after a course. I just recently start my course again. Since the last time I took my course, I was acne free for seven months. It will get better, just don't give up. This time I am down to 20mg for 2 months, the doctor gave me option for 40mg if I want to. I am 31 right now, and I suffer this problem for quite many years by the ways.

Edited by kidtech

I have to see my dermatologist on tuesday- i'm going to ask if I can go back on accutane and see what he says because i really do not want to go back on antibiotics as these have not worked for me in the past and the scarring on my skin due to new stops now is becoming more visible so I really cannot afford to do something that is unlikely to work. Do you have any advise for my appointment next week? I really want to go back on accutane as its the only thing that has really cleared my face! Thanks

sup bro

Dont go on accutane again. It isnt worth it to do it twice because of all the side-effects that are linked to it. I did accutane a long time ago and it cleared my acne while on it and for about a year after it. After that year, my acne did come back. A few spots and a few pimples at the same time. I was like wtf...this is BS! I finally figure out that even though my acne came back, acne products like retin-a helped combat against the acne because after accutane, acne product works better on them than before you started accutane. It doesnt worked right away of course, but keep using it. I constantly used it for 3-4 months every night before i saw results and now my acne has subsided. I barely get acne anymore, but maybe a few spots here and there. They go away within a couple of days. I still use retin-a every night though. You can buy the retina at this site, alldaychemist.com. It is very cheap and it is made by johnson and johnson. It isnt fake. The shipping is like $25 dollars though, but you can buy like 6-7 tubes for around $45 including shipping. Here is the link to the product.

https://www.alldaych...-retino-a-.html

Edited by dannyp*

My face is just getting worse each day- there is alot of scarring from new spots and I don't feel as though I have any other option other than accutane. I am willing to take the side effects if my skin can return to how it was a few months ago; the results really were amazing. I remember taking numerous antibiotics and they made little/no difference and any topicals i used on face just irritated my skin and made it worse. I really am confused as to what to do?

My face is just getting worse each day- there is alot of scarring from new spots and I don't feel as though I have any other option other than accutane. I am willing to take the side effects if my skin can return to how it was a few months ago; the results really were amazing. I remember taking numerous antibiotics and they made little/no difference and any topicals i used on face just irritated my skin and made it worse. I really am confused as to what to do?

Just go for it if u think nothing else work better than Accutane. I wouldn't waste time on other method to cause more scarring if nothing else work better than Accutane. That is my situation here.

I'm worries that my dermatologist will not put me straight back on it and will make me try something else. What should I say to him??

Hi, as a repeat user of accutane i want to tell you that as bad as your acne is, your health should be first. After 3 courses of accutane, i now have glucose issues, depression that has never quite gone away and my body is now in a state of disarray. Before you decide to do a second course, try something a little less dangerous such as dietary changes and/or topicals. With accutane, if it doesn't help you the first time, there is a chance that subsequent courses will not be a permanent solution (it will most likely only buy you time). At least give other options a try before you possibly put your health at risk. Educate yourself about the life long risks with this drug that people generally want to ignore. Good Luck and keep your head up! Acne is a puzzle that is definitely solvable with time and you are not alone.

sasch12: I do not think doctor would prescribe accutane to people who has depression.. A person shouldn't even start this treatment if they already have depression before taking accutane.

I think what sasch12 was saying is that accutane gave them depression. I took accutane 3 years ago myself and it totally messes with your mind. You feel awesome while on it because of all the days of clear skin but once you're off of it and the spots come back you feel horrible about it beyond measure.

I refuse to go back on it because of side effects I encountered while on the drug and all the reading I've done on people who took it for years and years only to ruin their bodies later on. I have a friend who has IBS because of accutane. I have friends who are going bald because of accutane. I've read posts from people who say that their bones are weak because of accutane. Accutane has even been linked to a strange side effect that makes sex less enjoyable. The brain doesn't enjoy pleasure the exact same way, and it can get dramatically worse (less enjoyable) after each round of accutane. The list goes on and on.

I personally think that accutane should be avoided. I've been drinking two cups of vegetable juice a day for the past 5 months and it has done wonders for my skin. It sounds simple and foolish but if you're truly drinking REAL vegetable juice (and not V8 "fruit smoothies" that are filled with sugar).. then you're going to see amazing results.

Also Accutane can wrinkle up your face from making that oil disappear. We NEED oils to keep our faces hydrated.. Some people may be sad about the acne on their faces now.. but years down the road they're likely to age a lot better than dry skinned people (and accutane users for that matter).

It kind of comes down to a simple battle of Quick Fix VS. Healthy Treatment.

sasch12: I do not think doctor would prescribe accutane to people who has depression.. A person shouldn't even start this treatment if they already have depression before taking accutane.

Kidtech you are missing the point i am making. Accutane is a drug and like other drugs, there are SERIOUS SIDE EFFECTS. They are now discovering all these issues from taking accutane decades after this drug was first marketed to the public. Doctors can and have prescribed accutane to depressed people (as some people won't actually tell their doc they are depressed). The point is that the OP should make sure he/she has exhausted all other possibilities before retorting to a drug that can potentially mess up their mind/body long after treatment is complete.