Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LastDitchEffort

Going To The Derm For The First Time. Need Support (:

Hello, dear acne.org forum users!

To keep it short, I've been struggling with both face, and lately back acne aswell for the last 5 years. I'm now 21 years old.

Today, actually in 3 hours, I have my very first dermatologist appointment. I'm super anxious and I'm scared that I'll break out in tears.

I have literally not shown anyone my back in the last 12 months, and I already dread the moment when the derm asks me to take off my shirt :'(. Acne has been such a tabu for me, I don't want to talk about it and I definitely don't want to actually realize how bad it has gotten.

I can already imagine the moment when the derm says; "It's serious". I'm hoping to get on roaccutane, because I've done 3 courses of Apocyclin(An antiobiotic) and it showed little to no improvement. So I just need a few encouraging words from you guys :)

I'll report back tonight how it went and if I got accutane or not.

Also If I do get it, I'll start an accutane log on the accutane section aswell. Gonna be updating it every day.

//Peace out!

Your deem sees it all the time don't worry about it! .....and I ruv you rots (scooby doo voice) gut luck with the almighty tane :P

Personally, derms are just as clueless as the patient when it comes to acne. My derm once told me that microdermabrasion is not advisable for my sensitive skin. I tried it anyways despite of being told not to, and it cleared my post red acne scars. Did nothing for my acne though but the severity was greatly reduced.

Don't get me wrong I love dermatologists when it comes to conditioning, treating skin problems. BUT, when it comes to acne everyone is different. What works for a person doesn't work for another. It is basically trial and error....... They prescribe you to use a medication and if that doesn't work they prescribe you another......

I never liked Dermatologists.. My father made me go to a derm and they prescribe me a crappy cream. I guess it depends how good he/she is. Wonder if there's a derm who would tell their patient to eat healthier and prescribe them something natural that isn't harmful for skin? I treated my skin on my own and it took me long to learn that eating healthy and applying things that you can eat on your skin really does help. I finally did this a few months ago and now my skin is healing and looking very smooth.

Good luck and I hope you do get a good Derm.

Edited by EddieE

Thanks guys, I actually ended up with a pretty good derm :) She was quite young tho, and attractive (Awkward!).

She put me on accutane, and i'm on my day 3 right now. Something that kinda made me wonder was that

she prescribed me BP cream to handle the possible initial breakout. I though the medicine itself makes the skin

so dry that I shouldn't be applying BP in addition.. Probably just gonna wash with mild cleanser and moisturize a lot.

Thanks guys, I actually ended up with a pretty good derm smile.png She was quite young tho, and attractive (Awkward!).

She put me on accutane, and i'm on my day 3 right now. Something that kinda made me wonder was that

she prescribed me BP cream to handle the possible initial breakout. I though the medicine itself makes the skin

so dry that I shouldn't be applying BP in addition.. Probably just gonna wash with mild cleanser and moisturize a lot.

Accutane makes people a lot worse that's why she wants you to apply BP, but that's probably a good sign that it is working. Pulling all the toxins out or w.e. I dunno much about accutane as I never took it and never will biggrin.png. I hope you get good results with no side effects. Good luck <3

Yeah, don't use BP, let it all out. ha ha.

Edited by EddieE