Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
courtneystorrie

New, And Wanting Some Advice!

Hey guys, so.. tomorrow I'm going to the doctors to get my prescription for Accutane. I've done all my tests and got the a-okay, and now it's just time to do it.

So, my question is... everything. What are your experiences, what would you advise, etc...

I'm 21 years old and have had acne since I was about 14 or 15, it's gotten really bad this year (I'm sure I'll post pictures once I get a little more comfortable on the board). Until this last year my acne mainly focused in the crease between my lip and chin, back, and the corners of the nose, but most recently it has hit my cheeks and my jaw line. I tried to ride it out and see if it would get better with time, but nothing. I've been through everything under the sun, this being my last option.

So yeah, that's a little about me. Anything you guys can tell me will be useful in my start of this journey. I'm really hopeful when reading some of your stories, but information on your tips and tricks to keeping this as safe and comfortable as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Courtney

1. Invest in a shit load of moisturiser. Cetaphil is good stuff from personal experience. Apply it liberally, you'll get INSANELY dry otherwise and your face might just fall off

2. Beware the initial breakout, if you get it then just ride it out there's not much you can do, it WILL get better eventually. Don't expect miracles within the first 4-6 weeks.

Personally aside from dryness and redness ('tane burn as it's known), and occasional joint aches, there really isn't much I've dealt with on this stuff. Obviously I can only speak for myself, but from what I gauged from my own and other people's experiences this stuff really isn't worth the bad press it gets.

Anyway good luck, when you get to the end you'll be ecstatic, just remember to remain level-headed in the shitty period before then!

Oh and one last point, AVOID THE SUN, when they advise you to do this THEY REALLY MEAN IT. That I can vouch for lol

Change your diet. Cola, caffeine, alcohol, chocolate, hot spice, refined sugar, junk food are a complete no.

Get a good juicer and start drinking mixed vegetable juice. One cup daily. 2-3 Carrot, 1/2 Cucumber, 2 stalks celery. Jucing book website have some great recipes but those three are a must. If u are desperate u can add pinch of beet and dandelion greens. Also try wheat grass juice. Very powerful juice.

Teff, Oatmeal, mango, papaya, cantaloupes, raw manuka honey with yogurt also helps.

Hey I just started accutane 3 days ago :) Be good to see how our reactions to the course differ/don't differ. I have noticed today that my face is alot oilier than usual. I keep wiping it with a simple wipe because it's quite annoying lol.

GOOD LUCK!! :)

The number one product I can recommend is Aquaphor for your lips. I also like Bag Balm, but Aquaphor seems to work better for me. Make sure you have good moisturizers for your face and body since Accutane will obviously dry out your skin. A majority of people seem to use either Cetaphil or CeraVe moisturizers on their face. Another product I recommend, but isn't necessary, is Cure Natural Aqua Gel. It's great for when your skin gets flaky because it takes the dead skin right off! Plus, it's super gentle and won't irritate your skin.

You'll want to make sure you drink plenty of water! You have to keep your body hydrated. I wouldn't worry too much about changing your diet. I don't think that's really necessary unless you start having issues with your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

I think it's very helpful to read logs so you'll have some idea of what you might experience. However, you must remember that everyone is different on this drug. And keep in mind that it might get worse before it gets better, but don't let that discourage you or get you down! Just hang in there and try to stay strong! We're all here if you need support or have any questions!

Thank you guys all for your suggestions! I'm going to take it all and apply it to my process.. i just started my pills this morning so I think I'm going to start a blog today sometime and get this ball rolling. Really appreciate your help