Notifications
Clear all

Derma Roller/derma Stamp - Need Recommendation

MemberMember
(@jeopardy)

Posted : 06/27/2012 10:00 pm

Hello,

I've had enough of my ice pick scars. I'd like to do something about them! I have them on my cheeks and forehead, but it's not excessively bad. I've tried other products like tea tree oil, and I'm ready to move on to some actual treatment. What I would like to know is, what type of product have you had success with (like, if a derma roller, what brand? If a derma stamp, what brand?).

Secondly, what was the product you used after each session? What I have is Nivea Moisturizer, which has vitamin E and Jibobo oil or whatever you call it; bio oil with vitamin E, which doctors even say is good for scars; Mederma; tea tree oil. Would any of these products work well with derma roller/stamp? If not, what do you recommend?

Thank you in advance. I can't wait to attempt this treatment. I will also test it on a small part of my forehead for a while, and gauge the results. If there is no damage after a while/early signs of improvement, I can move on.

MemberMember
(@remicade)

Posted : 06/27/2012 11:11 pm

Vitamin E it's not good for scars, latest research show it's bad. Mederma work on hypertrophic scars. For ice pick scars you should try TCA 100% CROSS.

In a study Percutaneous Collagen Induction Versus Full-Concentration

Trichloroacetic Acid in the Treatment of Atrophic Acne Scars they have shown:

In our study, ice pick scars showed a statistically

significantly greater mean percentage of improvement

in group 2 (86.2%) (TCA cross 100%) than in group 1 (52.5%)

(p = .001) (who used dermarolling).

Later edit: trusted source for dermarollers: http://shop.owndoc.c...-pg1-cid48.html

MemberMember
(@jeopardy)

Posted : 06/28/2012 9:19 am

Thank you, Remi. Do you know what works best on those blackish scars left by those cysts? They take super long to even fade. Also, is the TCA cross very expensive?

MemberMember
(@remicade)

Posted : 06/28/2012 12:00 pm

You talk about red marks ? Well red marks (postinflamatory hyperpigmentation) dissapear after ~ 1 year without treatment.

If are "true" scars sorry to dissapoint you but will no go away easily. First google hit about TCA CROSS : http://www.drsamlamfaceforum.com/tca-cross-t1167.html

MemberMember
(@jeopardy)

Posted : 06/28/2012 6:39 pm

These aren't really red scars. They're like purplish, and I think from the blood. Like not physical scar, but purplish color =/.

MemberMember
(@remicade)

Posted : 06/28/2012 11:55 pm

Use Retin A.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 06/29/2012 1:25 am

These aren't really red scars. They're like purplish, and I think from the blood. Like not physical scar, but purplish color =/.

Without a picture, I can only assume you're suffering from hyperpigmentation which can be pink, red, purple, brown, and even black. It varies by skin color. Retin-a exfoliates and increases cell turnover, but to speed recovery from hyperpigmentation, you should also use a topical like Hydroquinone. Hydroquinone & similar "bleaching" topicals slow melanin production. Melanin is what causes the hyperpigmentation issue. When using a topical like Hydroquinone or Retin-a, you should be under the care of a dermatologist as both can have side effects and cause irritation.

You should also use a good sunblock (not sunscreen) to protect your skin. Otherwise, you only prolong any issues with hyperpigmentation.

Hyperpigmentation is always an issue for me. Following TCA Cross, it was the absolute worst I have ever experienced.

MemberMember
(@jeopardy)

Posted : 06/29/2012 3:16 pm

Hey guys, I was prescribed Stievamycin by my doctor for acne. One of the ingredients is Retina-A, so would that suffice?

Edit: yep, ingredients are tretinoin and erythromycin. I mean if it's not suitable, I can try to find a Retina-A product at a local pharmacy.

MemberMember
(@remicade)

Posted : 06/29/2012 11:38 pm

Tretinoin = Retin A it's OK.

MemberMember
(@bizz)

Posted : 10/16/2012 5:04 pm

@Jeopardy: Do an internet search on "fade acne marks". There are skin lightening agents like vitamin C (Dermalgoica Chromawhite is popular here), copper, soy, and exfoliants (acids like glycolic acid; retinoids like those in Retin-A). Theres also hydroquinone (it can come in prescription products like Triluma or in "fade creams" like Black Opal's fade complex or Murad's Post-Acne mark Gel. Hydroquinone can have side effects and cause greater pigmentation instead of less.)

Makeupalley.com is a good source for skincare reviews.