Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hananabanana

How Can I Get Rid Of These Acne Scars? Im Desperate! Pics!

So i had acne since I was 14. I am now 21 year old guy. In my teens years I had very bad chest and back acne which left bad scars.... Now I hardly get chest or back acne at all but it's the scars I'm concerned about... My derm gave me solodyn 80mg for my acne... It's working to control break outs but it's not helping with the scars.... Ive also been on tretin X cream for about a year now and still nothing .... GOD I'd do anything to be able to take my shirt off in front of everyone.... (I hardly break out now though, maybe 1-2 pimples a month no more)

Can I be a candidate for laser therapy? Microdermabrasion? what do you think?

I am also an alcoholic .... which means I drink 12 beers a night or something equivalent...

post-179010-0-94698600-1340849936_thumb.

post-179010-0-52278400-1340849939_thumb.

post-179010-0-67459600-1340849944_thumb.

post-179010-0-94698600-1340849936_thumb.

post-179010-0-52278400-1340849939_thumb.

post-179010-0-67459600-1340849944_thumb.

12 beers? That is your answer right there. Alcohol is a testosterone stimulant. That much beer is pushing your testosterone levels to the extreme. Excess testosterone = acne.

You may be saying, well I didn't drink when I was 14 (or maybe you did?), but there is a lot of testosterone fluctuation going on during puberty. You're pretty much keeping your hormone levels crazy as an adult through your alcoholism.

Testosterone has a strong influence on the hair follicles that cover our body, including the sebaceous gland that is part of each hair follicle. It is the stimulation of the sebaceous gland that gives us most of our problems with acne.

Alcohol also acts as a vasodilator, which means it makes the blood vessels get larger. This causes the skin to become red or flushed. This condition of enlarged blood vessels, or vasodilation, is not only the path to a killer headache, it is also the perfect environment for inflammation. Vasodilation causes tiny gaps to appear between the cells of the vessel lining when the vessel is stretched during dilation. It is through these gaps that white blood cells and plasma leak out into the surrounding tissue and cause the pustules and swelling associated with inflammation.

Edited by Green Gables

You could try alternating your TretinX with an AHA every other or every 3rd night.

The acne.org AHA may work but it is likely too strong to start off with and will cause a lot of irritation. Best bet is to buy a lower strength toner (or pads) and spread thinly over the chest after washing the area and before bed. Don't use the AHA during the day, it will cause sun sensitivity beyond even the TretinX. Wear dark tightly woven shirts that come up to your neck or rashguards (most t-shirts have an SPF less than 8). Start slow, using the AHA only once or twice a week and moisturize as needed. It will take a lot of time.

Since you have a derm, you should discuss your concerns with him if you want something stronger or are considering any other procedures. You will need to quit medications for a while and that may be a concern since it sounds like you still have active acne.

Edited by staple