Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrettyInside

Can Bad (Gut) Bacteria Be Killed Naturally, Rather Than Using Antibiotics?

I was on antibiotics a lot between the ages of 15 and about 21, or so. At age 22, I developed cysts and nodules--and I still wonder if it wasn't from the rebound effect that I've read can occur if one's taken too many antibiotics and disrupted the gut flora balance.

I'm breaking out now--at age 36--like I did in my early 20s and am desperate enough to try antibiotics again. But I think they're bad for several reasons. One big reason for me is that I have IBS, which is a shorthand way of saying that I shouldn't disrupt my gut flora further than it already has been/is. (I believe people with IBS are advised against taking antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.)

Is there a supplement that is proven to help kill the "bad" bacteria that typically leads to--or at least inflames existing--acne? Is there any other option out there, or am I doomed to hurt my gut further in my attempt to save some of my skin? (I'm developing more indented scars now than I've gotten in the past 25 years' worth of acne woes. Ugh...)

Thank you,

P.I.

I would say you're better off working to achieve greater OVERALL health. Trying to eat some type of antimicrobial food as a way to manage the bacteria in your gut is like stepping on ants. You're far more likely to achieve gut balance when your entire body is in balance.

I would say you're better off working to achieve greater OVERALL health. Trying to eat some type of antimicrobial food as a way to manage the bacteria in your gut is like stepping on ants. You're far more likely to achieve gut balance when your entire body is in balance.

I can't dispute your statement, but have you any suggestions as to how someone might balance the body? What regimen is working for you?

I suspect my digestive system is out of whack in part due to stress, as well as to long-term antibiotic treatment given to me be a derm. long ago. I think that when the digestive system gets out of whack, a whole host of other bodily systems follow suit.

I also suspect a hormonal component but am not about to stop taking my BC pill now, when my skin is majorly in flux.

In short, I don't want to take an antibiotic again, but my skin is developing more (rolling) scars; I want to spare further damage, and going the more gentle/natural route that I have been isn't cutting it.

P.I.

PS: Other members on this forum have had worse breakouts after taking probiotics regularly. I suspect Leaky Gut Syndrome may be a large part of the reason--and, yes, I think that I have LGS.

Edited by PrettyInside

Go to a good gastroenterologist. Raw manuka honey with homemade kefir/yogurt also helps.

Look into the gaps diet: http://gapsdiet.com/

alsoo let me just add that homemade probiotics such as yogurt are far greater than store bought.

also watch this:

I wouldn't believe everything she says, some are more dramatic and exagerated, but mostly she is on point.

Edited by Wangod

I can't dispute your statement, but have you any suggestions as to how someone might balance the body?

Well that's one thing I'm looking for. Finding the best way to do that. There isn't a single best thing for everyone. Everyone has an imbalance in different ways, I would think, considering all of our lifestyles are different.

One thing I've been experimenting with is getting enough calories. The way I see it, as healthy as one might eat, if they're getting only a small amount of calories, the body is going to horde all the nutrients for vital organs at the expense of the hair and skin.

Learning to manage stress (takes some discipline, but gets easier with time) is great. Getting enough sleep. Eating nutritious foods that you enjoy greatly. Not exercising yourself to death.

If you want to know more specifically what I'm doing, here is more information: http://www.180degreehealth.com/uploads/eBooks/Rrarf.pdf

The good things for acne thread at the top is also a good place to start for specific recommendations. Personally, I wouldn't think or obsess about things too much. Don't fool yourself into thinking you should substitute salad for a steak if you have a craving (for example).

Drinking Kefir, or Kombucha, and avoiding ANY sugar.

Starving the current ones, while supplementing with good bacterias (fermented drinks).

Edited by DaftFrost

Be careful about taking probiotics. They dump a ton of bacteria into the system and if you have leaky gut, this can cause a hell of a lot of issues. I've been trying to heal my gut for years and I still react badly to probiotics if I take them. I think it's far better to eat a little fermented food every day.

Ways to heal (for anyone):

Alkalinize the system by drinking lemon water

Ditch the grains

Ditch legumes (I used to eat them a lot and have had to cut back on them because I'm pretty sure they are tearing my gut apart again)

organic foods

exercise

reduced stress

cleanse/fast/do healing work whenever possible

gut healing foods such as: okra, flax, sweet potato, banana