Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lixhul

Post-Acne Help - Oily And Dry Skin

Hello, about five years ago I chucked BP onto my face mentally, and it created all sorts of problems like oily, red and dry skin.

My acne is pretty much over with some spots here and there, and I have not used BP for nearly five years on my face now. But I have terrible skin still in the form of oily and dry skin.

It's been a good five years like this. When I come out of the shower my face is really dry, but in about an hour or so after using some moisturizer its oily too. Sometimes I have to apply a second dosage of moisturizer to get rid of the irritant dryness and sensivity.

I really need help. Can anyone recommend me products that will cure my skin. Remember, I dont use BP anymore and havent done so for many years but it seems I am still feeling the afteraffects of that terrible time I had with it.

Cheers.

P.S. I think I have sensative, oily skin?

Throughout the day my skin is a bit oily and I have a few spots here and there. When I get out of the shower though it flakes and is really dry?

It sounds like you are overdrying your skin in the shower. You might want to turn the water temperature down and keep the shower time short if you take longer hot showers. What cleansing products do you use daily and what do you use in the shower? What moisturizer do you use currently and what other treatment products?

Thanks for reply.

I have turned the shower down the past year but, it is expected for my skin to flake up a bit.

My cleanser is expensive. It's Dermalogica Ultracalming cleanser - http://compare.ebay....&var=sbar&cbt=y. Althought admittidly, I've probably only used it twice through a few years! It kinda made me more dryer and I havent really used a cleanser properly in years. For the past few weeks I have used a cheap soap bar which is wrong to do I know.

My moisturizer WAS Dermalogica Active Moist - http://www.pure-beau...ve_moist_100ml/ - But I have just ran out a few days ago, and Im skint so I am currently using E45 Moisturizing Lotion - http://www.e45.com/e...sing_lotion.php. I have noticed my skin is EXTREMELLY shiny when using this.

Also (again havent used it properly in YEARS, probably twice in two years is a facial scrub called REN Jojoba Microbead Purifying Scrub - http://www.thehealth...crub-150ml.html - As I've said not used it alot.

I shave with an electric shaver (a good, expensive one), and I get red and irritated with that so I apply some gillete aloe vera after-shave on which is fine?

Im 23, I work out every day and take a shower (nearly) everday, although admittedly after a workout I sometimes dont bother washing. I am very healthy, active etc though.

Acne wise, I'd say I am 3/10 for it. I get like 3 spots tops on my face at any given time. In the mornings my face is oily-ish, it gets a bit red throughout day and when I wash/shower etc it gets dry and flakey.

Hope that gives you a good picture to help me out.

And also, I apply jojoba oil to my moisturizer all the time (about two drops). Thing is, its frozen up a few times before and to make it liquid again I have microwaved it. Wrong to do?

I also have blackheads, have done since I was 12. They never seem to go.

Edited by lixhul

Okay, first with cleansing. It's fine to use a bar soap if it works for you but if it's drying you out, it's better for you to switch back to your cream cleanser. If that too is drying you out, try a different cream cleanser or if you like bar soap, maybe try something like plain dove which has moisturizers in it. It's cheap so you might just get one bar and test it out on part of your face for a week. A lot of people use cetaphil or cerave hydrating wash. (I personally use the cerave but some people are allergic to niacinamide or break out from the fatty alcohols in it and can't use it.)

If you can't find a good cream cleanser or bar cleanser that doesn't dry you out, there are also wash off oil cleansers (NOT the OCM oil cleaners--this kind actually rinses clean) like Fancl or DHC or Shu Uemura. If you massage it in well before washing off, it may help over time with blackheads. A lot of people, even oily and combo types, find rinse off oil cleansers good for balancing skin as well, but they are expensive and I find most men don't like to use them.

I think it's good to limit the exofiiation to once or twice a week, so the fact that you aren't using a scrub often isn't a big deal at all. You should at least rinse your face with lukewarm water after you exercise though so you get your sweat and the bacteria in your sweat off your skin. You don't need to even use facewash or soap for that.

Your moisturizer seems like a good one, but if it has frozen it has probably had components separate and even shaking it up won't make those components come back together properly. Following that with heating can deactivate the preservatives--allowing bacteria to grow inside the container (which you could then spread on your face). Adding the jojoba oil all this time may have helped you because it has astringent properties, but you should toss that bottle and get a new one.

Your routine and products don't sound too bad at all. If it's keeping most of your acne at bay (I assume you are spot treating with salicylic acid or tea tree oil?), just work on finding a gentler cleanser and getting a new moisturizer first. After you shower, only moisturize the areas of your face that are actually dry. foreheads and noses etc. Then wait an hour or so and moisturize any areas that are still dry. That way you don't end up overmoisturizing oily areas. If you find you are still too dry in spots, then change moisturizers.

Once you have that settled, you can consider beta hydroxy acids to clean out your pores. You should think about finding a good sunscreen which is something you haven't mentioned at all and something you should start using if you want to use more aggressive treatments/serums.

Edited by staple

Hey pal, thanks for the generous information.

I will take it on board. Yes, about 5 years ago as I mentioned I researched so much and stuck with it, but I think you hit the nail with the sunscreen. I've never used any, and well, I run 5 miles 3 times a week in the baking sun. My only concern with SPF is that its really shiny?

I have also heard about this Cetaphil, and I am hoping they do a SPF version. I've heard nothing but praise so I will check Boots tomorrow morning (Im from the UK).

And finally, yeh I believe the Jojoba oil has passed on. I have microwaved it twice because it froze up during the winter haha. Im a cheap skate, but I will buy a new one of those too.

Also the cleanser, Im not sure if its good or bad for me (i think its good) but I will use it more than twice in two years! I'll use every day. But yeh, I think the main problem is as you say, my moisturizer and no sun protection.

Cheers for the nuggets of gold.

P.S. I dont treat my acne anymore, its like I say managle with only a few here and there which Im not bothered about. I am grateful with what I have with it because it was so so so so bad back in teenage days.

Do they have Neutrogena ultra sheer dry touch in the UK? I use that or the waterproof sport version when I cycle or run and it's great. Sinks in and not shiny at all, especially in the mid-level protection range (SPF55 or 70). Relatively cheap too.

Ah I read that post too late. I went for the Olay Complete with sensitive skin. I also bought some new Jojoba too. Just used them for the first time and its good. I am very shiny however but I think thats the Jojoba, I used a good six drops.

Lets see how it goes. Obiviously one day isn't a good test run!

Fck! I think I bought the wrong one. I've bought a Olay Essentials Complete Care Sensitive Skin Day Fluid, but it has different ingridients to the ones I am seeing online. Oh my days, I want to buy the one Dan recommends. I'll have to sort that out, waste of £6 quid!

Tell them the item caused a bad skin reaction (rash) and ask if you can return it though it has been opened. Most places selling healthcare items will allow the return. Then buy the one you want.

Hi again, do you know any alternative to the Olay everyone back in the US has been getting? They dont sell it here in the UK and I think the one I have may be a bit too oily.

Any alternative for a good moisturizer for sensitive skin?

You might have to ask in the regimen section about products for European users. Europe has stricter sunscreen standards than the US and unless you order through an international distributor, there might not be a good equivalent. I send you a personal message regarding other places you can get product recommendations as well.

Edited by staple