Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lmv

Got Rid Of My Acne, But Left With Extremely Oily Skin. Can You Critique My Regimen?

Hello!

Im a 22 Y.O. Female, and I used to be an avid lurker on these forums when I had pretty moderate cystic acne a few years back. I tried many things... Dan's regimen, 10% BP, detoxes, oil cleanse, facials, aspirin masks, EPO/birth control, but none of that worked.

I finally found something that has cleared my skin completely, but ever since I began experimenting with treatments, the amount of oil I produce is EXTREME. I have to blot about once an hour or my face looks like i've been sweating or something. It's extremely embarrassing. I began by completely eliminating foundation/facial makeup and added fragrances/oils in all skincare products (including shampoo and conditioner). Here is the rest of my routine:

-30-50 mg zinc per day

-lots of plant based Vitamin A

Twice a day:

3% Salicylic Acid cleanser (Image skincare) with Clarisonic brush

Glycolic Acid/Witch Hazel/Tea tree oil toner (Image skincare -- not sure of percentage)

5% BP + 3% Salicylic Acid treatment lotion with essential oils (Image skincare)

Cerave lotion as moisturizer

Mattifying SPF (only in the morning)

No foundation use/facial makeup except Everyday Minerals bronzer

Now when I say I got rid of my acne, I still get small bumps now and again during my menses, but they are never cystic and I can usually get rid of them with extraction. So, I'm pretty worried about changing anything in my routine because I'm afraid I'll start breaking out again. However, I'm also worried that I'm being too rough on my skin with the Salicylic Acid/BP use. In your opinion, is my routine too harsh for my current skin? Or does it seem okay?

I know that I am overproducing too much oil, and that's what's making me so shiny... but I'm not really sure what I should take out or add to my routine to begin with. I do not want to take any type of hormones, as I've had bad experience with birth control and breakouts. So no DHT since the increased estrogen risk will not work for me. I've had a little luck with my Mattifying SPF, but if I layer it on too much I will start getting incredibly flaky and dry skin? It's very confusing.

What do you all recommend? Thanks so much!

P.S. I have had problems with Milia ever since I was very little, so before I began acne treatments -- could this have any relation to my oiliness? I also have a history of dry skin and eczema, so naturally my skin used to be very dry, not oily at all.

Edit: I should also add that I use a finishing/mattifying powder daily (by Tarte) and my hormone levels are normal by blood work up standards. I am so forgetful -_- I also forgot to add that I was on 50mg doxycycline for a year.

Edited by lmv

Cut down the zinc. Increase calcium/vitamin d intake from plain organic yoghurt but NOT supplements. You can also try drinking mixed vegetable juice daily carrot, cucumber, celery.

Cut down the zinc. Increase calcium/vitamin d intake from plain organic yoghurt but NOT supplements. You can also try drinking mixed vegetable juice daily carrot, cucumber, celery.

Thanks. I was wondering, why do you recommend cutting the zinc down?

I also eat 1 Siggi's or Chobani plain yogurt daily, and I have a small juiced apple and carrot in the afternoons when I exercise.

I'll definitely try to increase my calcium, though, I don't think I reach the RDI most days.

Thanks. I was wondering, why do you recommend cutting the zinc down?

I also eat 1 Siggi's or Chobani plain yogurt daily, and I have a small juiced apple and carrot in the afternoons when I exercise.

I'll definitely try to increase my calcium, though, I don't think I reach the RDI most days.

Too much zinc for long time is bad. Chk their research http://www.acu-cell.com/dis.html. Also mix celery and cucumber with your carrot juice as plain carrot juice spikes up glucose levels. You can also try wheat grass juice. Very powerful juice.

3% Salicylic Acid cleanser

Glycolic Acid/Witch Hazel/Tea tree oil toner

5% BP + 3% Salicylic Acid

That seems excessive to me. But if it's keeping you clear whatever works. My only suggestion would be to try a moisturizer like emu oil or jojoba oil that is similar to natural sebum. It tricks your skin into thinking it has enough moisture so it doesn't produce as much. I find that's the case when I apply emu oil on a nightly basis.

3% Salicylic Acid cleanser

Glycolic Acid/Witch Hazel/Tea tree oil toner

5% BP + 3% Salicylic Acid

That seems excessive to me. But if it's keeping you clear whatever works. My only suggestion would be to try a moisturizer like emu oil or jojoba oil that is similar to natural sebum. It tricks your skin into thinking it has enough moisture so it doesn't produce as much. I find that's the case when I apply emu oil on a nightly basis.

Yeah, this combo is what i'm mostly curious about! SA + GA + BP does seem a bit excessive now that i've written it all out. I think I'll try out doing this once a day, and something more gentler in the morning like Cetaphil cleanser + Pure witch hazel toner + the Image BP lotion + moisturizer. I've tried jojoba/emu/argan but they all break me out :( I do use jojoba on my lips and body daily though. My face pretty much never tolerates any kind of added oil!

...My only suggestion would be to try a moisturizer like emu oil or jojoba oil that is similar to natural sebum. It tricks your skin into thinking it has enough moisture so it doesn't produce as much. I find that's the case when I apply emu oil on a nightly basis.

Emu and jojaba oil don't "trick" your skin into producing less sebum. That's a common misconception on this forum.

...My only suggestion would be to try a moisturizer like emu oil or jojoba oil that is similar to natural sebum. It tricks your skin into thinking it has enough moisture so it doesn't produce as much. I find that's the case when I apply emu oil on a nightly basis.

Emu and jojaba oil don't "trick" your skin into producing less sebum. That's a common misconception on this forum.

Oh alright. I'm curious then why my skin is less oily when I apply emu oil on a nights basis?

Oh alright. I'm curious then why my skin is less oily when I apply emu oil on a nights basis?

I don't really believe that your skin is "less oily" when you apply emu oil on a night's basis. I think there are certain issues which can fool people into believing that their skin is less oily or more oily, but that's not really the case. If you want to be scientific about it, you need to use Sebutape Skin Indicators, which are small squares of a plastic film-like material which you press against your skin for a few seconds; the legitimate presence of sebum will then cause black marks to appear on the film. The more sebum, the more black marks! smile.png

This method is so reliable, even doctors and dermatologists have used Sebutape test strips (which are very similar to the Skin Indicators I talked about above) in tests and studies. Skin Indicators are available from a company in Dallas, and the last time I checked, cost about 40 cents apiece. They're worth it, because they give a TRUE indication of how much sebum is on your skin!!

Hate to break it out to you but ALL AHA's and BHA makes the skin oily. They remove the top layer of skin causing it to become dehydrated and produces more oil to compensate for the dryness. I had the same problem when I use glycolic acid in my routine also washing with a washcloth. Pretty much exfoliation makes skin oily (Example: me washing my face with a washcloth), but quickly goes away after 3-4 days. AHA and BHA are a different storry the effects take a long long time to go away.

Basically to get rid of oily skin, you have to moisturize it inorder for it to normalize and produce less oil. The more moisture there is the less oily skin will be for dehydrated skin is the main cause of oilyness. You can bring back moisture by using different kinds of oils that won't break you out, or use a hydrating cleanser and a moisturizer.Any products that does not contain exfoliating agents like lactic acid, glycolic acid AHA and BHA salycilic acid.

Murph and Diggy are right :)

Edited by excelicious

Hate to break it out to you but ALL AHA's and BHA makes the skin oily. They remove the top layer of skin causing it to become dehydrated and produces more oil to compensate for the dryness...

Basically to get rid of oily skin, you have to moisturize it inorder for it to normalize and produce less oil. The more moisture there is the less oily skin will be for dehydrated skin is the main cause of oilyness...

You can make that claim as many times as you like, but I'll always be around to contradict you. Dryness doesn't make the skin "compensate" by making more oil. The skin doesn't "compensate" for anything at all by making sebum.

Hate to break it out to you but ALL AHA's and BHA makes the skin oily. They remove the top layer of skin causing it to become dehydrated and produces more oil to compensate for the dryness...

Basically to get rid of oily skin, you have to moisturize it inorder for it to normalize and produce less oil. The more moisture there is the less oily skin will be for dehydrated skin is the main cause of oilyness...

You can make that claim as many times as you like, but I'll always be around to contradict you. Dryness doesn't make the skin "compensate" by making more oil. The skin doesn't "compensate" for anything at all by making sebum.

And I will claim that as many times as possible because this is what cured my oily skin. You can believe whatever you would like. YMMV of course.

And I will claim that as many times as possible because this is what cured my oily skin. You can believe whatever you would like. YMMV of course.

I strongly recommend that you listen to what scientists and dermatologists tell you about sebaceous glands, and the way they work. What you're saying in those previous posts is not that much different from what your great-great-grandmother says about applying a poultice around her neck at night, to fight "consumption"! wink.pngeusa_hand.gif

I strongly recommend that you listen to what scientists and dermatologists tell you about sebaceous glands, and the way they work. What you're saying in those previous posts is not that much different from what your great-great-grandmother says about applying a poultice around her neck at night, to fight "consumption"! wink.pngeusa_hand.gif

No research or any kind of study will beat experience. But believe in whatever you think...