Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrettyInside

Want To Stop Taking B.c. Pills But Am Scared Of What Will Happen. Advice?

Several years' ago, I stopped taking the pill (Loestrin Fe24) for nine months'. That's how long I lasted before I broke down and started taking it again due to the cysts and nodules I started getting. Sooo... I'm scared to stop taking the pill, since I've been on it--a few different kinds--for a long time: 14 years'.

Short story even shorter, I am terrified of what will happen if I stop taking the pill, and my body struggles with imbalanced hormones.

Has anyone here had success with stopping the pill and used a certain acne treatment that kept things under control?

Thank you,

P.I.

Really, for hormonal acne, your only surefire options are to stay on birth control or go on spironolactone.

Speaking from ten years of experience. I have a copper IUD and didn't want to go on BCP, so I finally resorted to spiro. Wish I'd started it sooner.

Some people have great success with diet and supplements to control their hormones, but I tried that for years with no success. I spent thousands of dollars trying to balance my hormones. I mean I'm practically eating like a primate and I still get acne. So I threw in the towel and now pay $10 a month for spiro..

Edited by Green Gables

Some people have great success with diet and supplements to control their hormones, but I tried that for years with no success. I spent thousands of dollars trying to balance my hormones.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to take much to rack up really high out-of-pocket medical costs in the search for an answer. And it's rare that medical science can pinpoint a problem, be it for acne, an autoimmune issue, or something else. *sigh*

I'm practically eating like a primate and I still get acne. So I threw in the towel and now pay $10 a month for spiro..

Your "eating like a primate" statement had me laughing, but I feel your pain. I've been off of dairy for, oh, 24 years' now because I made that diet-acne connection long ago. But I suspect I have other food allergy issues, though I've not been tested for them. Not sure I even want to incur the cost to do so at this point.

I'm not going to stop BCPs just yet but will definitely keep Spironolactone in the back of my mind.

BTW, who prescribes Spiro. for you? That is, what is the person's medical path: derm., general practitioner, etc.? Years ago, I'd asked a derm. assistant about using it, but he wouldn't prescribe it for me, since it's label use is for something else other than acne treatment. (I suspect many med. pros.' position on Spiro. has changed since then--or at least I can hope that it has.)

P.I.

I had a friend on spiro who recommended me to her dermatologist. He actually put her on spiro when she didn't know what it was beforehand. I actually never saw the dermatologist but his nurse practictioner. After explaining my acne and what I had tried, she asked if there was anything I wanted to try and I mentioned my friend on spiro.

It was all pretty simple for me, but I've definitely bounced around from derm to derm. It takes a while to find one who is willing to work with you. I also am better at nicely standing up for myself in the doctor's office and making my case. Even when I was going to a different, very arrogant dermatologist, I got him to prescribe me the exact medications I wanted even though he hadn't really heard of them (Finacea, back when it was BRAND new). You just have to be a persistent little bugger. As long as they can see that at least you're doing your research...they may not like you very much but they'll give you what you want.

For a number of years I went to a family practitioner for acne because most of the dermatologists I went to were too full of themselves. With the family practitioner I just politely asked for the kind of treatment I wanted and they gave it to me without a fuss. I would have asked them for spiro except they moved their office far away from where I live and I had my friend's recommendation.

You can try calling up a new derm or even a general family practitioner and ask to speak to the nurse. Ask about spiro and if they have ever prescribed it to treat acne. You can say you had a friend who it worked wonders for, etc. That way you can find out if they'll help you before you pay for a visit.

Edited by Green Gables

Unfortunately, I can't say I've had a success story when stopping the pills.

I'm like you, I always return when I try to quit. There's a whole 15 page thread on acne.org on the side effects women have experienced after stopping the pill. (search it up) It's not good =\

Here you go, http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/188651-acne-after-stopping-birth-control-pills/

Edited by Casablancaa

Hi I had hormonal acne for a long time---cysts and small nodules on my jawline/cheeks. If you really want to get off of BC I suggest trying Vitex. It is a supplement that naturally balances women's hormones. I tried it when I felt I had nothing left to lose (it was that or get on BC or Accutane) and to my surprise it really worked for me. I wrote in more detail on my blog if you have questions.