Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PrettyInside

How Do You Keep A Cyst From Leaving An Indented Scar?

My skin seems too weak to fight off scarring at this point, even though it did so for the first 24-25 years that I've had acne--with the exception of just about three scars. Ugh... Now I'm getting rolling scars in areas where hyperpigmentation has hung around for a while.

I now have a cyst on the upper center of my forehead--fantastic!--and fear that it is likely to leave a permanent scar. Does anyone have any tips that have helped prevent cysts from turning into indented scars once they've gone down in size?

Thank you,

P.I.

Hi, I have had problems with cysts.

I can only really suggest the obvious, by just leaving it as much as possible and be as gentle as you can.

Just maintain your normal regimen, cleanser, moisturise, etc.

I can only really suggest the obvious, by just leaving it as much as possible and be as gentle as you can.

Just maintain your normal regimen, cleanser, moisturise, etc.

I've done the "hands-off" regimen and still developed some indented (shallowish, rolling) scars.

I've put off going on an antibiotic again. (My derm. asst. wanted me on one when I started seeing her 1.5 years' ago.) I bit the bullet when I saw her yesterday and asked for a script for one. (I'm going to try Doxicycline first. I probably used it in the past but can't remember which ones I was on.) My fingers remain crossed that the one deep red mark on my forehead manages to heal without leaving an indented scar, though I'm not certain I'm starting the antibiotic in time to "save" that little area of skin. *sigh* But at least it may help prevent my current "three-prong" cyst--also on my forehead from developing into a deep red mark that scars.

P.I.

Yeah It will take awhile for it to settle down, I suggest going on the antibiotic again, I am on one now, and I have noticed that I haven't got any very painful cysts since I started taking it.

However I did notice this toner I had been using with had alot of alchol in it was causing lots of cysts to break out, as soon as I stopped using it last week, I have only got one spot since. So perhaps it may be something your using?

If it ever comes to a head, squeeze it out (gently). My worst scars are from nodules that I stupidly "left alone" even when the whitehead was near the surface. Apparently leaving gunk in a pore for weeks causes more damage than gently squeezing it out.

Lots of moisturizer helps keep scarring at bay.

Try spot treating it with a clay mask. It helps suck all the impurities out plus it shrinks it within a couple of days. Plus it helps you not touch it or have to look at it with the clay mask on :)

Try putting tumeric powder mixed with honey on the cyst, it will reduce inflammation and eventually make it disappear.

Since starting this thread, I have gone on an antibiotic (Doxycycline), even though I didn't want to disrupt my gut flora any further. And my cyst has finally popped. (Did I mention that it started as one large lump, but four individual whiteheads formed on it when it came to a head? Bleh...)

I gently squeezed it once when the largest whitehead portion was very prominent. But I left it alone thereafter and let the remaining (smaller) whiteheads burst open on their own due to external medication (Acanya at the time). It looks as if I'll still have a scar from it--and right next to it from another smaller cyst that left a nice red mark that's clearly sinking in.

I will try to remember the tumeric powder/honey combination for future reference, as I'm willing to give anything a try. Right now, I've been putting a generic version of Neosporin on it to keep it moist all day and night. It won't stop the scarring but may at least reduce it a bit.

Thank you,

Jenk

I know everybody most of the time recommends not touching the cysts. I do not agree. Sometimes they are so big and just ask themselves to squeeze them in the right moment. I had like three or four that I wish I squeezed but I didn’t and then I regretted it. Those continued healing under the skin for months leaving scars.

I remember that after some time I got a rough idea which ones are good for squeezing and which ones are ok left alone. I guess this might be called practice makes perfect, however stupid it may sound in this case hahaha

The ideal solution was going to a beautician that is a professional and knows what she is doing.

By the way, have you tried holistic approaches? Treating acne from inside without antibiotics?

Edited by seb82

By the way, have you tried holistic approaches? Treating acne from inside without antibiotics?

In a sense, yes. I cut all dairy--except for butter, which doesn't give me issues--from my diet when I was 12 years old. I avoid anything that I know exacerbates my acne--e.g., fried foods, anything containing hydrogenated oils, etc. And, at times, I've relied on a good-quality vitamin. (I need to find one again.)

I do have a good probiotic but currently am not taking it due to the fact that: 1) it's thought that it could work against the antibiotic, which 2) can kill off--and, thus, render ineffective--the probiotic. I'd like to take it after my antibiotic treatment ends, but I know of people on this forum who had horrible breakouts after starting a probiotic regimen; so it's a bit confusing as to what I should do.

More than anything, I intend to continue to avoid foods I know cause me issues and take supplements that strengthen skin to help prevent indented scarring.

If there's anything specific you can recommend, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

P.I.

Have you tried doing a candida overgrowth test? The one with the glass, for example: http://www.candida-a...ndida-test.html

Yes, I've done the at-home Candida "spit" test. Per images of the three possible results that could indicate Candida overgrowth, I have it. But I've not had either of the two "official" tests--fecal and blood work--performed by a doctor.

A friend of mine is seeing an integrative physician. According to her (the physician), severe Candida overgrowth can't be combated with diet alone; so she prescribes a certain medication, which my friend is now taking, along with following the Candida diet.

P.I.