Notifications
Clear all

Are Crackers Healthy For You?

MemberMember
(@lngo)

Posted : 06/26/2012 3:32 am

So recently I've been trying to eat healthy. I cut out all that take out food, chips, etc... So far I've went from oily foods like chips to crackers.

Anyway, I want to know.. are crackers "healthier" than chips? Because when I was eating my Ritz Cracker, I checked the ingredients... It has over ten ingredients, while the bag of regular chips I bought has only four ingredients. The nutritional obviously the crackers are lower, but the chips has less ingredients so I'm confused. What should I be eating? (I know I should be eating apples or oranges as snacks but I'm getting there - baby steps!)

Also I went from chips to cookies to now crackers!

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/26/2012 6:10 am

No. Processed grains are empty calories, (most are) high in gluten and generally bad for you.

MemberMember
(@lngo)

Posted : 06/26/2012 6:45 am

No. Processed grains are empty calories, (most are) high in gluten and generally bad for you.

So is it basically equivilent to eating a bag of chips?

MemberMember
(@acneisacurse)

Posted : 06/26/2012 6:48 am

Crackers are processed, have gluten, and are usually made with soybean oil or canola oil or any of those unhealthy hydrogenated oils. I love crackers too, I always thought they were the healthy alternative to chips but I was wrong :(.

MemberMember
(@dejaclairevoyant)

Posted : 06/26/2012 3:01 pm

Yeah, for the most part crackers and chips are not something that really goes with a healthy diet. Eat them if you want, if you eat grains anyway, but if you're trying to heal a leaky gut or other damage to your body it isn't the best idea to eat grain/gluten food. It also depends on what you mean by "crackers" though... a raw dehydrated flaxseed vegetable cracker is far different from a glutenous cracker.

MemberMember
(@mysterytutor)

Posted : 07/04/2012 10:45 pm

Crackers are one of the worst foods you can eat. They are made with white flour which is terrible for you health and hydrogenated oils which cause bad bile to be made by the liver.

MemberMember
(@acneisacurse)

Posted : 07/11/2012 6:24 pm

HOWEVER, it is possible to get crackers that won't aggravate acne. I bought these gluten-free soy-free crackers from the supermarket and I ate like 2 serving sizes of them (2 packs of 5 big crackers each) and I didn't get a breakout the next day. Today I ate 3 lol they taste good, I will see if I get a breakout tomorrow and I'll let you guys know!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/12/2012 10:56 am

Yeah, for the most part crackers and chips are not something that really goes with a healthy diet. Eat them if you want, if you eat grains anyway, but if you're trying to heal a leaky gut or other damage to your body it isn't the best idea to eat grain/gluten food. It also depends on what you mean by "crackers" though... a raw dehydrated flaxseed vegetable cracker is far different from a glutenous cracker.

Yes. But nothing from Nabisco or the other major brands or anything you are likely to find in your supermarket is healthy. There are some alternatives in the Food and Recipe thread.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 07/12/2012 12:07 pm

Crackers are usually pretty devoid of any nutritious value. A good rule of thumb is that if you're going to eat something, it should be completely nourishing to you. If you're hungry, eat something that satisfies, even if it's a snack. Have a salad with chicken, nuts,veggies/fruits (paired with some sort of protein/fat or you'll be hungry in an hour again), meats, jerky, etc.

Love your body and love your food :]

MemberMember
(@egreen)

Posted : 07/14/2012 2:29 am

Ideally, anything processed is bad for your health. Crackers are something that should be avoided, especially since they are a snack food and not something you'd eat in a balanced meal. If you need snacks between your meals try fruits or nuts. If you really need a cracker to munch on then try crackers that are made from raw ingredients.

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 07/16/2012 9:48 pm

no

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 11/30/2012 8:43 pm

Yes, if it is raw kale "chips" or dehydrate crackers made of seeds, rice, etc. I like Mary's gone cracker.

:)

MemberMember
(@ind1g0)

Posted : 11/30/2012 9:26 pm

Don't think in terms of calories...think in terms of nutritional composition. What everyone else said is true. Neither are healthy for you- crackers and anything made of wheat or grains is horrible for your health