Notifications
Clear all

If You've Had Tca Cross Done....

MemberMember
(@meg-m)

Posted : 06/25/2012 10:55 pm

1) did it always leave yours scars looking worse/deeper/wider/more intense than they looked pre-procedure?

2) If it did initially look worse, what happened several weeks to several months out?

3) Was the treatment successful for you (i.e., state the percentage improvement you obtained)?

4) If your scars did improve, a) what kind of scars did you have and were they mild, moderate or severe, b) how many sessions did it take to achieve those results?

5) Finally, did you DIY or have it professionally done?

Thanks so much in advance for your response.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 06/25/2012 11:22 pm

1) Yes, they looked worse.

2) Saw no improvement after waiting 4 months. Some scars remained permanently enlarged. My skin kind of caved between small ice pick scars that were close together, so that they looked almost connected, forming lines.

3) No, not at all.

4) N/A

5) Mine was done by an experienced dermatologist.

I don't think my experience is normal by any means. I think my skin reacted poorly to the TCA. My doctor used 90% TCA too, and it did cause damage which I'm working to improve now. Some of the damage to my ice pick scars was reversed when I did Deep FX. However, the larger, wider indentions that were left by TCA Cross did not respond as well to laser. I'm hoping a second laser treatment will be helpful.

MemberMember
(@meg-m)

Posted : 07/10/2012 6:13 pm

Thanks for your response, TokyoGirl. I'm sorry for the delayed response and that TCA CROSS did not work out for you, but that you were able to correct the damage done to your skin.

I had CROSS done yesterday at the doctor's office. 100% TCA; by a facial plastic surgeon who does the procedure. Mine does not "look worse," but only time will tell if there will be any improvement. My skin tends to heal much more slowly than most (I'm Asian) so I'd give it about 3 or 4 mos. before I make any conclusions about how well the technique worked for me.

I know a picture is worth a thousand words, but I will not be posting any on this forum. You'll just have to take my word for it. If there are any changes, I'll post here.

Btw, TokyoGirl, did your dermatologist provide you with any instructions for how to take care of your skin after the procedure? I was instructed to daily apply Vaseline to the treated areas (I know from experience that moisturizing can be key to helping the skin heal properly and even to prevent trauma/injury in the first place) and to wash my face with a Cetaphil cleanser. I'm wondering if that would have made all the difference for you.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 07/10/2012 6:41 pm

Btw, TokyoGirl, did your dermatologist provide you with any instructions for how to take care of your skin after the procedure? I was instructed to daily apply Vaseline to the treated areas (I know from experience that moisturizing can be key to helping the skin heal properly and even to prevent trauma/injury in the first place) and to wash my face with a Cetaphil cleanser. I'm wondering if that would have made all the difference for you.

Of course, he did. I washed my face with Cetaphil. I used Aquaphor until the scabs formed, and then a deep hydrating moisturizer afterwards. I took Vitamin C w/Rosehip, Zinc & Fishoil before and after treatment. I started hydroquinone about 3 weeks before treatment and restarted 3 weeks after treatment. It took my scabs nearly two weeks to fall off.

I also have Asian skin. I am half Asian but definitely have my mother's Korean skin. You can see what happened to my skin on one of cheeks in my gallery. I think I had a very bad reaction to the acid.

I followed threads about TCA Cross on this forum for about 2-3 years before I actually had the treatment, so I was well informed on the do's and don't's following treatment.

I also did a test spot before having all my scars treated. I only waited a few weeks after the test spot because I thought my scars had improved. I wish I had waited longer.

MemberMember
(@meg-m)

Posted : 07/11/2012 6:37 pm

I see. I don't know what went wrong for you. I'm doing okay at the moment.

I was also going to ask the doc to do a test spot first, but once I arrived at the office I decided I might as well get it done. The doc isn't local to me so I can't afford to waste too much time.

Just noticed that your location is Los Angeles. In my opinion, you're in the best place geographically for someone with problem skin. If this TCA CROSS thing doesn't work out for me, I intend to get things taken care of at a place called AMA (they specialize in lasers for acne scarring and all sorts of other skin issues). The doctor is a Chinese woman and, from what I can tell based on reviews and the info on their website, they really know how to use lasers properly with all the various skin types. They're my last hope. If you ever have need to try them out, let me know how it goes and I'll do likewise.

MemberMember
(@tokyogirl)

Posted : 07/11/2012 7:10 pm

Good luck with your healing. It's unlikely you will suffer from the same complications. I believe TCA Cross works for some people. Unfortunately, it did not work for me.

Are you treating ice pick scars? Are they close together and is your treatment area large? I kind of wonder if my skin reacted poorly because I had so many small ice pick scars that were close together.

I am not familiar with AMA. I just searched it. Are you referring to Alice Pien?

MemberMember
(@meg-m)

Posted : 07/12/2012 11:27 pm

Thanks and good luck with your healing, too.

Yes, I'm treating ice pick scars (a few scattered on my left cheek) and what I would describe as icepick and small boxcars - because they're just a bit wider than a true pinpoint icepick scar - (on my right cheek). The scars on my right are very close together and make up a modest-size area on that side of the face. I was also worried about the fact that the right-side scars were so close together.... but so far so good.

I haven't scabbed at all, except for a few dark spots on the scars treated on my left side. I'm somewhat surprised I haven't had any color changes except for what was just mentioned. I'm wondering if he treated me very conservatively. I hinted that that might be the best approach for me. Good not to overdo it, on the one hand, but I shelled out quite a large sum of money for 5-7 minutes of work in total that I had better see some improvement. I see the doc again around Thanksgiving.

Yes, Alice Pien. You've got the right web site.

I took a look at your gallery and I would say that my scars are probably even closer together than yours are. Scarring looks somewhat similar, too. (I definitely do NOT have what are called rolling scars and it doesn't look as though you do either.) Your AFTER TCA CROSS pic is what I felt my scars looked like BEFORE I had 8 sessions of derma stamping done. Your AFTER Deep FX pic is essentially what my scars look like going into TCA CROSS (and now, too, I suppose - given that I'm only a few days out with CROSS).

MemberMember
(@estheticianmia)

Posted : 12/25/2016 6:39 pm

Hi,
I've done tca cross 6 weeks ago and my skin is super red after acabes fell off. What should I do to get rid of redness?
hope you guys are doing great. Thank you

MemberMember
(@beautifulambition)

Posted : 12/26/2016 3:56 am

Please Don't Triple Post ... etc, the answer to your question is under the below faq skin: reds The reds are because it's a wound, are you putting triple antibiotic cream on it to avoid scars. Wet wounds are happy wounds. Also please use makeup until it heals. You can pat it nightly with vinegar diluted with water to sanitize the wound.

MemberMember
(@jack817)

Posted : 06/15/2020 12:40 am

On 6/25/2012 at 8:55 PM, Meg M said:

1) did it always leave yours scars looking worse/deeper/wider/more intense than they looked pre-procedure?

2) If it did initially look worse, what happened several weeks to several months out?

3) Was the treatment successful for you (i.e., state the percentage improvement you obtained)?

4) If your scars did improve, a) what kind of scars did you have and were they mild, moderate or severe, b) how many sessions did it take to achieve those results?

5) Finally, did you DIY or have it professionally done?

Thanks so much in advance for your response.

1. Yes

2. Two of my icepicks are joint together forming a large liner scar and some didn't change at all. Some others are filled.

3. No. The dmg it introduced is more than the benefit that I've gained from my perspective.

4. They're normal small ice pick scars. I only did one session. I'm scarred of this treatment even though it was performed by a board certified derm and he only used 85% and he did a test patch before the real treatment.

5. The answer is in number 4.