Notifications
Clear all

Differin?

MemberMember
(@angelcream)

Posted : 06/25/2012 2:32 pm

Hi fellow acne-sufferers ..

I have been suffering from acne since i was 12-13 years old, and i'm soon turning 18 (18.juli, wiii )

For the last 2 years my acne have been mild incomparison to a more moderate breakout that i'm used to.

However, for the last 3 months I have been experiencing more acne on my face, first as small bumps but then developed into full mountain acne. I haven't used any spesific acne-products for 1-2 years, only cleasing, (sometimes toning) and moisturizer.

Therefor I have been thinking about starting to use Differin, but i'm very scared that it would do more harm than good. I don't have thaaaaaat much acne on my face, but enough to trouble me from going out without makeup. So should I starts using it or do you recommend something else? thanks.

Some information:

I'm Vietnamese, living in Norway ( for the most very dry weather)

Combination skin = dry around my nose, mouth and eyes. Oily on my forehead and a little on my cheeks.

Mostly breakout on my cheeks and forehead.

I have used:

* benzyl peroxide (example epiduo): it have cleared me up, but also broken me out. It also leaves discoloration after the acne is gone. Can be very drying,

* Differin : tried it, but can't remember the results or how long i used it . .

* Clinique 3-step: sucked. dried my face up, but strangly made my forehead extremly oily . . hmm.

MemberMember
(@fadedjay)

Posted : 06/25/2012 2:58 pm

Hey,

have a look at this thread its all about peoples experiences with differin.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/313714-the-differin-diaries/

MemberMember
(@angelspit)

Posted : 06/26/2012 2:34 am

I HATE differin. I just got off from using it and let me tell you my face is so uneven and full of dark spots and I hate it. My left cheek use to be kind of clear, but after I started to use differin, I have so many dark spots on that side of my face from break out after break out.

I was on differin for more than 12 weeks and it just made my acne so much worse. It was so weird that after I stopped using it and started scrubbing my face with honey and sugar, my acne is now gone, but I still have numerous small dark patches all over my cheek. I really do NOT recommend Differin, but it could work for you so, it's best you continue using it and see. I wish I hadn't tried it though.

MemberMember
(@emt813)

Posted : 11/01/2012 2:41 pm

I recognize that different things work for different people, especially when it comes to acne. I kid you not, for almost every acne treatment on the market (including over the counter and prescription topicals, antibiotics, hormonal treatments, holistic methods, and dietary changes), I've heard both miraculous and horrific stories. As a result, the trial and error process that frequently accompanies treating your acne can be quite discouraging at times. I have been using Differin cream every night on my forehead for over three months and have had great results. Before using Differin, I had approx. one hundred closed comedones (non-inflammatory bumps) on my forehead, mostly situated in the center of my forehead and in between my eyebrows. From a distance, they were barely noticeable. But they were extremely stubborn and drove me completely nuts. I was so frightened by the thought of using a retinoid on my sensitive skin that I waited a full three months before going to the dermatologist. My skin did purge on Differin, but instead of every little bump coming to the surface at once, about two to three would get inflamed every week and the Differin would heal them extremely quickly. Like I said before, everyone's skin reacts differently, but don't discount ANY acne treatment out of fear alone. Having said that, I believe that acne is a multi-factorial disease and looking at all aspects of the situation (hygiene, potentially irritating products, allergies, hormones, stress, diet, etc.) is very important before using any new product, whether its' over the counter or prescription. My best advice is to find a great dermatologist who will help you examine the different possibilities for what's causing your acne and work with you to find the best products for your skin. And if you do end up on Differin, I recommend starting it slowly by using it a few times a week at first and building up to using it daily depending on your tolerance level. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!