Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sugadoll918

What Happens To The Gunk In A Whitehead If You Dont Pop It?

this might sound terribly stupid, but seriously, i've never left a white head alone to know what will happen to it if I just leave it be. where the heck does all that gunk go? lol...I'm always worried that it will just go back down in my skin and come back out in another white head later on :(

I used to be the same. My whiteheads were always reasonably small and so I often squeezed them to get them out the way and rarely experienced scaring. Recently however my acne got a lot worse and I started on Epiduo (Benzoyl Peroxide and Adapalene). My skin has never been so bad and rather than little whiteheads I've been getting much bigger pustules - like the daddy version of whiteheads. I didn't think I could realistically pop them without making my skin worse so I left them and haven't touched them for a whole month.

So, what happens to it? Well I'm not completely sure but what I find happens is that first they grow. I put the Epiduo on at night I think this helps to dry them up a little. After two days they go yellow and dry and after about four or five days you'll find they'll rub off when you're washing your face. Underneath will be new skin, and it will look rather raw, or sometimes there will be a tiny little hole which will eventually heal up.

However, sometimes it will come off and there will still be pus in the skin. Sometimes you can get away with giving it a little nudge and it will come out and heal up nice. Sometimes it starts the whole whitehead story all over again ...

I read somewhere that the whiteness is actually something the skin produces to fight the bacteria and the whitehead is the collection of all the dead white blood cells and bacteria, all kind of piled up.

Hope that helps!

The white gunk is actually making its way out of the skin, albeit very slowly. If you let this process continue without popping, it should either drain itself or dry up and flake off. When a whitehead gets huge and still doesn't pop, that usually means you should exfoliate more. Exfoliation will break down the whitehead and help it drain and go away.

It definitely won't go back into your skin and cause more breakouts. Eventually it will get to a point where it needs to pop itself basically whether you're sleeping or taking a shower.