Notifications
Clear all

Possibly A Foolish Question About Make-Up Primers...

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 06/25/2012 11:04 am

I don't know much about make-up primers. I think that I used one for my wedding day more than 10 years' ago, but that was the only time. I haven't given much thought to primers since then because I used to wear a tinted medication that acted like a foundation. This medication is no longer available in a tinted formula, so I must know resort to wearing actual foundation when I go out.

My oily skin sucks up foundation, which looks bad after about 7 hours' time. I also have enlarged/scarred pores on my nose and indented (rolling) scars on both cheeks, as well as one large box scar on my left cheekbone.

Can anyone recommend a primer that's known to be good--oil-free, non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic--for highly sensitive, acne-prone skin?

Thank you,

P.I.

PS: I really can't afford high-end products at this time, so something that's good and reasonably priced is what I'm seeking--if it exists. ;)

MemberMember
(@alexis-little)

Posted : 06/25/2012 4:00 pm

I use Hard Candy's makeup primer from Walmart. I think it was $8. I just bought it to try out the primer idea because I've never used primer before. I have extremely sensitive skin and this stuff didn't break me out at all. And it made my makeup stay on super long. I have to wear makeup at work (dancing) and through all the sweat and an 8 hour shift it stays on.

This stuff is extremely greasy though when you put it on so you have to let it dry a bit before putting on makeup.

This isn't a bad one to try to see if you like the idea of adding a primer into your makeup routine but if you can ever afford a high-end primer there are some that get really good reviews on sephora.com and some that are even non-comedogenic. I'm still using Hard Candy though because it was huge so it'll probably last damn near forever.

MemberMember
(@tingoting)

Posted : 06/25/2012 4:07 pm

Hi, I also have oily and acne prone skin. I have been using the L'oreal Stuido Secrets primer and it's been working well. I have used a few other ones (about 5) and so far this is my favorite one. I haven't tried anything that's high end and focused mostly on drugstore products. It is about $11 from target ( http://www.target.com/p/l-oreal-studio-secrets-face-primer/-/A-11658222 ). It keeps my face matte to certain degree and my foundation doesn't melt down like crazy.

I dont' know if there's any non-comedegenic primer out there! but I used this website called Cosdna to check if they might irritate skin ( I have sensitive skin). Here's the ingredient for this primer http://www.cosdna.com/eng/cosmetic_3c2e47354.html and I would say it's not bad!

Also you can look into BB cream as it's less likely to clog pore. I am trying to stay away from foundation now.. some BB creams have very good coverage! (much much better than tinted moisturizer!) Hope it helps!

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 06/26/2012 12:25 pm

...You can look into BB cream as it's less likely to clog pore. I am trying to stay away from foundation now..

I have to ask: what does BB stand for? smile.png I confess that the word cream makes me cringe, as I associate it with clogging pores and causing serious acne issues, including cysts/nodules.

some BB creams have very good coverage! (much much better than tinted moisturizer!)

I want to clarify that I never wore a tinted moisturizer. I wore a tinted prescription-only medication that was sulfur-based. It was the only form of cover-up I could wear on my face without any problems. It was specifically formulated to help fight acne and, so, wouldn't irritate existing breakouts or contribute to new ones.

P.I.

MemberMember
(@tingoting)

Posted : 06/26/2012 3:42 pm

BB stands for Blemish Balm. I believe it was invented in Germany for people who just had work done to their face (such as laser, etc.). There are many different types out there - some are more watery and some are more gel like. It got very popular in Korea and eventually got very popular in Asia. It is now getting popular in North America. I believe Maybelline and some drug store brands have it too now. What I am using are the Korean brand ones. I don't think it breaks me out but I can't speak for your skin. You can do some research online. The most problemetic part about BB cream is that most of them come in only one colour so it's a bit hard to find one that matches your skin tone. Try to look at youtube guru "from head to toe". She has a review of 8 different bb creams and I find it quite helpful. I also watched many other youtube reviews. Hope it helps!

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 06/27/2012 1:36 pm

I use the rimmel primer. It works great with liquid foundations but not so much with mineral foundations.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 06/30/2012 10:34 am

So after starting this thread, I've learned about a product called OC Eight. It's a mattifying gel that's sold OTC, but you have to ask for it at the pharmacy. (For whatever reason, it's carried behind the counter, according to my derm. asst.)

The only drawback is the cost; I find it to be relatively pricey. But I'll still use the three sample packs that my derm. asst. gave me to try.

You can also buy OC Eight through Amazon.com. Here's a general page showing various sellers of it: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=oc+eight&sprefix=OC+Eight%2Caps%2C211.

P.I.

MemberMember
(@ladykadycurdy)

Posted : 03/06/2013 10:00 pm

What about Foundations? What drugstore foundations are best to use when on this Regimen??