Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I started posting here around Christmas and had some pretty severe (imo) breakouts. Around april I started washing my face once a day and by early may I stopped washing my face with face wash altogether. It has been since May 8 since I used face wash on my face and my acne has healed considerable. I am not able to do the no wash method because I live on a island and go to the beach rather frequently. I don't like sand + salt so I just wash it off.

What I have noticed is my skin is extremely dry (used to have extremely oily) and there is a "layer" of dead skin/sebum all over my face. I have heard of people scraping this layer this off when on the no wash method but I imagine my face is taking longer to heal so how long should I wait? Anyone else ever try this method? All I can say my skin has healed considerable and as long as I see results I'm not putting a product on my face.

Post probably looks like a cluster fuck - sorry for any mistakes or poor sentence structuring, I am in a rush!!

Today is my first day on the water only methodeusa_think.gif I really hope it works. Im scared though I don't want to start my junior year with a bunch of acne

I have this same question. I have stopped using soap or any cleaners on my face since 9 days ago. I have been rinsing or rubbing my face with baking soda diluted in water since then. My face is healing and looking more like a face than like it was before. Some parts are glowing. I also started taking fish oil pills a few days ago. Today I am switching to the only water method entirely. I do have quite a bit of dead skin forming and sebum (dry points) and I don't know why. I guess that's how it's healing. I'm not sure what I do. Any advice?

Thanks

I've been washing my face with only water for about a month now. My face is much less oily I think, because soap can over-dry your skin causing it to produce more oil. Also the skin on your face is naturally slightly acidic and I heard that since soap is a base it can make your skin more alkaline which disrupts the natural balance of your skin. I still use soap everywhere else on my body I don't care, but since my face is more oily than the rest of my body I only use water, and I think it has been helping.

Edited by AcneIsACurse

I started posting here around Christmas and had some pretty severe (imo) breakouts. Around april I started washing my face once a day and by early may I stopped washing my face with face wash altogether. It has been since May 8 since I used face wash on my face and my acne has healed considerable. I am not able to do the no wash method because I live on a island and go to the beach rather frequently. I don't like sand + salt so I just wash it off.

What I have noticed is my skin is extremely dry (used to have extremely oily) and there is a "layer" of dead skin/sebum all over my face. I have heard of people scraping this layer this off when on the no wash method but I imagine my face is taking longer to heal so how long should I wait? Anyone else ever try this method? All I can say my skin has healed considerable and as long as I see results I'm not putting a product on my face.

Post probably looks like a cluster fuck - sorry for any mistakes or poor sentence structuring, I am in a rush!!

What do you mean by "scraping"?

Going water-only, if anything, can tell you a lot about your skin. If you continue to sleep well, eat right (hint: look in the Nutrition Section), get good sun and exercise intelligently, you can see exactly how your skin behaves without any tampering.

This is very useful tool if you want to continue with skincare in the future. Maybe you discover you flake terribly and/or develop non-inflamed acne, to which you need help with exfoliation. Maybe your skin starts spontaneously producing oil at a much slower rate. You can try gentler cleansers then, without feeling the need to constantly wash off "greasy face" and only making matters worse.

And if your skin completely clears, I'm jealous, you're going to save a LOT of money. smile.png

I'd urge people who try this to avoid touching your face, fidgeting, or "cracking"--aka, acting on a sudden urge to scrub your face with a harsh cleanser. Let the process work.

When I did this, I discovered my skin wasn't oily, as sensitive or dependent on moisturizer. I use skincare to help with acne itself, but I don't need to use my skincare anymore to balance dryness or excessive oiliness.

smile.png

Edited by Vanbelle

I used the water only method when I was I'm bootcamp for a month. I was eating very healthy. I would still get pimples and my skin didn't get better or worse. For me, I need a daily exfoliater such as BHA.

Any thoughts on using an aspirin paste (BHA) instead of a cleanser? Or baking soda? I like them both and keep them in the shower. Not sure if I should use just one or the other, or alternate them, and whether to use them daily or not. Water just doesn't seem like enough, but a cleanser seems like overkill.

Any thoughts on using an aspirin paste (BHA) instead of a cleanser? Or baking soda? I like them both and keep them in the shower. Not sure if I should use just one or the other, or alternate them, and whether to use them daily or not. Water just doesn't seem like enough, but a cleanser seems like overkill.

I thought about baking soda. I even went out and bought some. But I'm way too nervous to apply it to my face.

I stopped using soap on my face two weeks ago. I started using baking soda to clean my face two weeks ago. I first made a paste with baking soda and water and scrubbed it on my face gently. It felt good, and was a gentle exfoliator. When my face dried, however, my skin felt very very tight. That means skin is too dry and that is not healthy for your skin. Baking soda is also very alkaline, which means it has a high pH of 9. Water only has a pH of 7. Our skin naturally has a pH of about 5. For these two reasons, I no longer use baking soda on my face. However, during the stages when it was incredibly greasy because I stopped using soap on it, BS was a good way to slowly stop the excess oil production. Now the skin on my face is not particularly oily.

In addition, I stopped eating extra sugars or processed foods, and began exercising more. I make sure to take a daily vitamin and an omega 3 suppliment like fish oil. Vitamins need fat in order to work, and I am beginning to think they need omega 3's in order to work.

I now wash my face with just water.

My skin is much more clear now and is beginning to look glowy. I definitely recommend this to anyone.

Edited by NaturalSafe

As a cleanser in the shower, I really like it. I just take a pea sized amount and place it in the palm of one hand and then spread it all over both hands by rubbing my hands together. Then I very gently rub my face for 15 seconds or so with both hands and then rinse. I make sure my eyes are closed tight while washing and rinsing. It seems just right in that my face is not stripped of oil, but feels clean. Outside the shower I have used it to spot treat a breakout by just dabbing it on and leaving it there for 5 minutes. It really helps to speed the healing cycle. It is silky smooth when applied with a lot of water, but it can be very abrasive as a paste, so if people are finding it irritating, it may be because they are not using enough water.

The aspirin paste is interesting...when applied in the shower just like the baking soda with plenty of water, it actually feels oily when I am gently rubbing my face, but when dry my skin is really smooth and soft.

I like them both a lot, but not sure if I should alternate them or what...I am leaning toward the baking soda every day and the aspirin twice a week.

Anyway, I don't think there is any reason to be nervous about applying it as long as you don't scrub hard and use plenty of water. If you decide to try it let me know what you think.

Vanbelle, that was such an enlightening post! I never thought about that and if I now look at my skin (well, due to some issues I only use Jojoba oil and black tea as a toner) it is just so calm, very differnt to when I used any cleanser before. Thank you! =)

Lots of good discussion. Vanbelle (sp?) I know exactly what you are talking about. What I have learned is that I actually don't have completely oily skin but a mixture of oily/dry. Although, my whole face is peeling and turning discolored.

I have not washed my face with facewash is nearly 2 months. Every time I get in the shower I wash my face with hot water and let it air dry. Usually only shower once a day, if I get sweaty I will take another. What I have noticed is that I don't get acne on my cheeks, jaw, or temple area anymore, only around my mouth and chin. Luckily I have never had forehead acne. My face also looks like it always has a white tint to it, almost like a layer of salt is caked on. I wish you guys were as far along as so you'd know what I'm talking about.

Anway, I recommend stopping the use of all products on your face. For me, it doesn't make sense to disrupt the body's natural way of handling things. Atleast with the skin on my face lol.

As I am learning more about pH and how it relates to acne, I have removed all cleansers from my facial routine - it's water only for me.

We get a quality report every year about our city's water and the pH level is 8.0, slightly alkaline. Since acne bacteria love an alkaline environment, and the natural pH of our skin is 5.5, it seems that a water only method is still too alkaline for the skin, especially acne prone skin. I was thinking about adding Ascorbic Acid to water to make it more acidic and use it as a final rinse on my face. I've ordered some pH indicator strips and when they arrive I'll play aorund with this idea. The one thing about Ascorbic Acid is that it is stable in dry form for a year, but once put into solution it is only stable for 1-2 days. A few drops of lemon way also work, although not for those of us with a skin sensitivity to the essential oil of lemon.

Some information about this can be found here: http://www.fs.fed.us...1/05231301.html

For those that do wash with commercial cleansers that are pH balanced for 5.5 and your water is around 8.0, it seems to me that skin is still being left in an alkaline state.

Now that I am only using water to wash my face it still has a tightness which led me to thinking about this. I read somwhere that it takes the skin 14-17 hours to normalize back to a pH of 5.5. By that time we've probably rinsed with water again so the skin never really settles at it's natural pH.

Any thoughts?

Edited by gingergirl22

UPDATE:

this will be my last time posting on this as my acne is now 90% healed and gone.

I still have acne scars, although minimal, you can tell I was an acne sufferer. Every once in a while I get a little spot that dissappears within the same day. I suffered since my junior year of high school (severe) and am now in my junior year of college. The only thing that had any success was stopping facial cleansers and cleaning products all together. Seriously people - I wish I would have never started using facial cleansers.

if you ever feel like there is no hope and you really don't want to risk the side effects of using accutane, do yourself a favor and give it a try. It has been over 4 months and I can safely say I will never touch that garbage (products of any sort applied to the face) again.

Be wary of people telling you to jump on BP and acne cleansers. I wake up/go to bed without doing anything to my face. Think about when your acne started and what MAY have triggered it (in my case it WAS washing my face in the morning and evening). Lastly, don't give up my friends.

One last thing. Every since I have been using the only water method I have been eating crap and partying. I don't know what that says about diet, but ha, when I was eating clean and healthy (Jan-April) it did nothing for my skin.

Cheers.

Edited by smallproblemsbigproblems