Notifications
Clear all

Does Zinc Make You Gain Weight? Increase Testosterone?

MemberMember
(@fsas)

Posted : 06/23/2012 10:11 pm

I read a few things around the net that zinc can cause weight gain and is often supplemented by people needing to gain weight (burns fat but increases muscle or something).

This totally frustrates me because i definitely dont wanna gain weight and the past week I have felt gross and 'weighty' and im not thinking it could be the zinc. at what dose can you avoid this?

also I've been talking to someone (who has been very nice) and mentioned that zinc increases testosterone? ...is this because of the added muscle?.. is this just in men? (i also read on the net somewhere else that but it said just in men..if thats even possible).

can someone please help me out? I really dont want any of these side effects yet I've read everywhere how good zinc is for acne and woman on the pill.. i dont even know why its good for woman on the pill... very confused in general about zinc supplmentation.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 07/01/2012 12:03 am

Zinc is an essential mineral, meaning that is must be obtained from the diet. It is involved in many functions in the body, including cellular metabolism, production of enzymes, protein synthesis, immune function and wound healing. It is an especially important mineral for pregnant women, children and those with low immune function. It is also the mineral responsible for stimulating the pituitary gland to produce thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). According to clinical nutritionist, Byron Richards, those who are struggling to lose weight due to low thyroid function would benefit from additional zinc.

I have never heard that it makes you gain weight. Are they overdosing on it? I really don't think there is any strong link to zinc and weight gain, it is even recommended to people who are hypothyroid and need to LOSE weight.

As far as testosterone, zinc doesn't stimulate testosterone but it does prevent testosterone from being converted into estrogen (your body naturally does this). When you have a zinc deficiency then you can see estrogen dominance which causes a lot of problems. As long as you're not overdosing zinc I wouldn't worry about it...

Don't take more than 60mg a day, and make sure the supplement you're using includes about 15mg of copper. Your body also needs copper to absorb the zinc the right way.

I would check what type of zinc you're using. Some of the cheaper forms can cause upset stomach and other side effects.

1) Chelated Zinc:

This form of zinc has undergone a process called chelation, whereby the organic molecules have been given an electrical charge that allows them to positively attract the charged mineral (in this case zinc). This creates a temporary increase in the complexity and concentration of the mineral within the molecule.

In other words, each molecule packs more concentrations of zinc via a process of attaching the mineral to something else, such as an amino acid. The belief is that this helps the body better absorb the mineral. There is much debate as to whether the process actually increases absorption. Dr. Gabe Mirkin from the Baylor University School of Medicine feels that chelating minerals has an insignificant effect on absorption when compared to the general conditions in the digestive system.

2) Zinc Orotate (best form):

Zinc that has been chelated to orotic acid. This type of zinc is most readily absorbed by the human bodys cellular membranes. Research from Dr. Hans Nieper has found that orotate forms of zinc were more neutrally charged, as compared to other types of zinc. This allowed them to pass through the membranes of cells easily, and thus offered the highest amounts of accompanying mineral atoms into the cells, leading to higher tissue concentrations of zinc. Zinc orotates contain many antioxidant properties that can help protect your health, while offering your cells the most readily-absorbable form of zinc on the market today.

3) Zinc Picolinate:

A form of zinc that has been chelated to picolinic amino acids.

4) Zinc Gluconate:

One of the most popular forms of dietary zinc, zinc gluconates are created by a process of industrial manufacturing. This process essentially ferments a glucose, offering a supplemental product with an extremely long shelf-life. Unfortunately, gluconate supplements are just a chemical substitute for actual zinc.

Sadly, the body absorbs very little of this processed form, as the bio-availability of these chemicals is virtually none.

5) Zinc Acetate:

Another chemically-altered form of zinc, acetates are considered to be more absorbable than glutconates. This form of zinc, also known as zinc salt dihydrate and zinc diacetate, is created by adding acetic acid to zinc carbonate or zinc metal. I would not recommend this form of zinc although scientific studies do show that this form can aid in reducing the duration of the common cold, as well as offer treatment for Wilsons disease, a genetic disorder whereby the body stores toxic levels of copper.

6) Zinc Oxide:

This inorganic compound of zinc is most commonly used in topical ointments for treating minor skin conditions such as burns and irritation. It is also a common ingredient in sunscreens. This type is a non-chelated, inorganic form of zinc. Studies show mixed results on the bodys ability to absorb and metabolize this form of inorganic zinc.

7) Zinc Sulfate:

Water-soluble and non-chelated, this is an inorganic form of zinc. Studies show mixed results on the bodys ability to absorb and metabolize this form of zinc.

Personally I use Source Naturals OptiZinc. It has 30mg zinc, 15mg copper.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 11/07/2012 9:50 pm

isn't it true that if you take zinc and copper together, they sort of cancel other out (i.e. you cannot absorb zinc and copper together?)

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 12/18/2012 8:03 am

I already have naturally high testosterone levels and take 50mg of Zinc a day (I don't get much at all from food). I've actually lost some body fat since starting zinc, although I've put some on in muscle. I train 6 days a week (mostly weight training) and my diet is fruit and vegetable based (although I also have lean meats etc). I really don't think zinc will cause weight gain in an otherwise active individual. It certainly helps pack on the muscle though, and muscle weights more than fat (And incidently causes you to burn more calories).

MemberMember
(@henryrice)

Posted : 09/24/2015 5:58 am

Hello,

Generally it has been seen that zinc plays an important role in the body health and it also helps to increase testosterone level. This is one of the benficial foods which is instructed by many as zinc is important for our body. There are several foods in which zinc is

MemberMember
(@nicolii)

Posted : 04/29/2016 6:37 am

This is rather interesting because I have been prescribed a high dose of zinc for three months and after this first month of taking it I have put on weight for sure!! All puffy as well.