Notifications
Clear all

What's The Best Moisturizer You've Found?

MemberMember
(@bjarnecke)

Posted : 06/23/2012 8:16 pm

It seems like I've been around the block trying all sorts of moisturizers, from Cetaphil to Neutrogena to Burt's Bees. My problem is that I have VERY oily skin, and all of the products I've tried to far only seem to make it worse and shine more. I'm not really looking for a moisturizer to eliminate oil, just something that won't enhance it.

Currently, I'm just using a gel cleanser from Shaklee and then moisturizing with Cetaphil. As far as acne treatment goes, I've tried everything there as well. Lots of OTC brands, Proactiv, Skin iD, and Dan's Regimen. Dan's BP worked OK, but the slow fade of scars scared me away from it, plus we've all read about the negative side effects of BP (I didn't use it long enough to experience anything). I do like salicylic acid, but my face is extremely red and I know that using salicylic acid won't help at all. That's why I've quit using those products and am looking for a really good moisturizer.

So...what have you guys found that works great and reduces redness, especially for oily skin?

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 06/23/2012 9:42 pm

Moisturizers usually don't increase or reduce sebum production, since that's regulated by hormones. Unless they have certain ingredients that are able to target the sebaceous glands and reduce sebum production that way. But I don't know of any moisturizer that does. Also, sebum has nothing to do with moisture (water). Good, basic moisturizers are hyaluronic acid (expensive) and glycerin. They're usually very well tolerated, and they definitely won't increase oiliness. I don't know if you still have active acne, but if you do: don't worry about BP's side effects, they're usually mild and they won't last. Preventing acne from forming is the best option to avoid red marks.

MemberMember
(@bjarnecke)

Posted : 06/23/2012 10:07 pm

I do still have active acne, and I'm seriously considering going back to Dan's BP...I have a tube in my bathroom (although as you have seen me post in another topic, it is runny and probably not as potent as it should be; I contacted customer support and am awaiting a response). I tried Epiduo from my dermatologist with minimal to no results. I have deep, cystic acne on my forehead, with my cheeks being scarred and red, no active acne. As I said in my OP, I used Dan's entire regimen last fall for two months, and it did help in the reduction of breakouts, but the old discolorations under the skin just would not heal....although this is almost 8 months later and most of them are still there. My biggest problem is that I sweat...A LOT. We live on a farm and I work outside quite a bit all year round, so I also wonder if me applying the BP, then going outside an hour later and sweating it all out is even doing any good. That is actually another reason I stopped using it.

Anywho, I appreciate your help so far. Hopefully you'll have some good answers for this post as well!

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 06/23/2012 10:44 pm

Ah, if you don't mind, post in that thread once you get a reply from customer support, it may help others. BP shouldn't be "runny", maybe it's a faulty batch or something.

OK, so you've used BP with success before, even though you sweat a lot. That tells me it works. I don't know where you live, but If it's sunny and you're outside all day, you'll need sunscreen if you use BP. Also, I recently noticed a thread about a green tea/sea salt toner, and it looked promising. I've also seen some research about green tea, claiming it was able to reduce sebum production over time (also when applied topically). So maybe that's an option (instead of BP, or maybe together). And there are some threads in the Oily skin issues forum about peppermint oil or peppermint/spearmint tea, look them up. Cystic acne can be very hard to combat, though. A regimen that worked for my nephew:

Morning: wash with a tea tree oil face wash, apply hyaluronic acid on entire face, then apply BP on affected areas. He hasn't suffered from redness or irritation whatsoever.

Evening: wash with a turmeric/neem oil face wash, apply hyaluronic acid/vitamin/rooibos moisturizer.

It took about 4 weeks, but he doesn't get new cysts now, just the weekly zit or 2, and they're usually gone in a day or 3-4. Maybe this helps you a little. Also, if you haven't done so already, consider a food allergy test, maybe you're intolerant to something you eat/drink.

eta: link to the green tea/sea salt toner thread: http://www.acne.org/...d-easy-to-make/

FabianL liked
MemberMember
(@ikucukkus)

Posted : 06/24/2012 1:45 am

Sebamed ClearFace Care Gel for sure. I can not recommend this moisturizer enough.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 06/25/2012 10:06 am

CeraVe

MemberMember
(@hellolovve)

Posted : 08/01/2012 9:30 pm

Honestly, Pro Active didn't clear my acne at all, but the moisturizer is definitely the best. It's not heavy at all, makes my skin feel so smooth and also refreshed. Love it.

MemberMember
(@clearwaters)

Posted : 08/01/2012 9:45 pm

I tried Akin white tea and aloe mattifying gel creme and it worked a treat for keeping the oilies at bay, or visually at least. Only my skin is very sensitive and reactive and did not take too kindly to all the added hippy floral extracts at the end of the ingredients list. I've abandoned the thinking that natural is better. I had confused it with simpler is better. I've been using sorbolene cream to cleanse and moisturise with and it been working a treat. It's basically just water, glycerin and mineral oil. Wonderfully basic and gentle.and despite what all the natural cosmetic companies propaganda will have you believe mineral oil is not comodogenic.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/06/2013 8:01 am

It's not the cheapest moisturizer but Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel works well for me. My face is pretty oily and this doesn't enhance it. If there are days that I feel shiny, then I actually use oil blotting papers. They take away the surface oil/shine without drying out the skin.

MemberMember
(@californiaxnights)

Posted : 04/14/2013 7:45 pm

I know you're asking about moisturizer, but try using a different cleanser. I'm not sure of its exact name, but Clean and Clear has a cleanser that keeps working after you've washed your face to absorb oil and keep your skin from looking and feeling oily. That might be a good option for you. Also, try Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid; a little goes a long way for this product! It's fantastic and I swear by it.

Have you ever considered using blotting papers? That will help absorb the oils on your face without irritation. Also, drinking a lot of water and eating lots of fruits and vegetables will help tremendously; the reason why your skin is so oily is because your skin is in freak out mode. It's trying to trap the moisture you DO have on your skin with the oils. Therefore, adding more moisture (water) will help to balance it out and your skin will not need to produce as much oil.

Hope this helps!