Notifications
Clear all

Don't You Hate It When Children...

MemberMember
(@freeoneday)

Posted : 06/23/2012 3:51 pm

So I had just finished my face routine and my niece comes in the room and says 'my face is becoming like yours' so I'm like already freaking out because she mentioned the word FACE. Neway I ask her Wat she means and she points out some rash like thing on her face and says how she thinks she's becoming spotty like me!!! Ahhhh I mean I kno she's just a kid but that just ruined my day! Why do kids always speak so bluntly 👎😔

MemberMember
(@poi6)

Posted : 06/23/2012 5:57 pm

Because they don't know any better :)

MemberMember
(@cleardreaming)

Posted : 06/23/2012 6:53 pm

Ever noticed that kids say stuff like this though but then dont treat you any different? Where as adults can be just as bad except they treat you different and stare.

They just dont realise it'll upset you because they don't see the issue with it, it's just an observation.

MemberMember
(@mgx)

Posted : 06/23/2012 6:56 pm

...........ikr.... they could really get annoying sometimes..... i remember when my nephew asked me "why do you have so many pimples?"..... i was soooo dumbstruck i couldn't think of a reply so i just said "well, that's life"...and quickly walked out on him.....

..........i agree @ ClearDreaming..... although you can't deny that it still hurts... either way...

MemberMember
(@lorman)

Posted : 06/23/2012 9:12 pm

I feel your pain. I work at an elementary school library and about three months ago I experienced the most severe break out of my life. So going to work became a nightmare (I even missed a few days because I couldn't take it). Yes, most kids were just curious and/or concerned, and there are many polite children who never changed their behavior towards me (*kudos to their parents for teaching them good manners), but many of them were downright mean. It was especially embarrassing when they would make their comments in front of the teacher. My responses to them varied depending on the situation and how I was feeling at that moment. Sometimes I would say I was sick, sometimes I would ignore them, and other times I would get upset and lecture them. I'm just so glad that this happened towards the end of the school year, and I have two months off to focus on getting better.

MemberMember
(@syn1122)

Posted : 06/23/2012 11:46 pm

lol my neice was saying at dinner , he has chicken on his face XD i know what you are going thru haha

MemberMember
(@geeking)

Posted : 06/24/2012 4:29 am

most kids don't mean any harm, but you know when they do.

I was with a bunch of 9 year olds on a field trip this past Monday and I looked slightly haggard; I was genuinely afraid they would say something about my face or something cos I don't think I would have been able to handle it. Nothing was said, thank God, but it was stressful.

Ya just gotta roll with the punches usually. Hell I've gotten way more rude remarks from adults than kids, actually I don't think I've ever come across really rude kids before.

MemberMember
(@freeoneday)

Posted : 06/24/2012 6:40 am

@ClearDreaming that is very true! Kids may point it out but they hardly treat u any different! I don't know about older kids though, they can be pretty mean :s I'm so glad I'm not the only one who this happens to, u guys feel my pain as always

MemberMember
(@mjri94)

Posted : 06/24/2012 7:23 am

Younger kids speak bluntly because they are honest and don't really understand that saying stuff like that would upset someone, besides they don't mean to insult anyway! I was in the hospital the other day waiting in a queue and a little girl pointed out that my skin was bad to her mum (I don't know exactly what she said), her mum told her off and made her cry! I felt guilty for causing it, lol.

I was with a bunch of 9 year olds on a field trip this past Monday and I looked slightly haggard; I was genuinely afraid they would say something about my face or something cos I don't think I would have been able to handle it. Nothing was said, thank God, but it was stressful.

Ya just gotta roll with the punches usually. Hell I've gotten way more rude remarks from adults than kids, actually I don't think I've ever come across really rude kids before.

Same thing happened to me the other day except slightly differently: I had to play football (soccer) with a horde of 12-13 year olds and only 3 of my friends for back up (lol) and I was certain they would say something about my skin so I was preparing myself to ignore it. They never said anything about my skin or anything insulting to me actually which was extremely weird because they were VERY rude kids, they were constantly swearing and insulting my friends but they never said anything to me which really was odd since I was obviously the easy target. Funny how it works out some times...

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 06/24/2012 5:32 pm

Some kids don't see people with acne at all, so that's why they ask. I guess they're just curious. Kids do ask a lot of questions >_<

MemberMember
(@lightersup)

Posted : 06/25/2012 2:02 pm

My nieces and nephews make comments when I have a small breakout somewhere on my face. I just laugh along and keep the conversation moving to the next topic.

I think anyone under 18 is just naturally observant and blunt because they don't know any better and haven't fully grown up yet. They say whatever's on their mind and that's fine as long as they're not trying to hurt anyone's feelings.

Older people should know better - don't stare at someone, don't invade someone's personal space, and don't make uninvited comments about someone's physical appearance.

MemberMember
(@excelicious)

Posted : 06/28/2012 7:32 pm

Am i the only one that things this is cute? I wouldn't take it in a wrong way, she is basically saying/thinking that she is in the same situation that you are. In a way she is caring about you smile.png

MemberMember
(@flowergirl1234)

Posted : 06/28/2012 9:07 pm

Kids ARE blunt, but I've learned not take take it personally. My sister's boyfriend has a little sister who has ADHD, and now that I'm on Accutane she always asks me what's wrong with my face (because I peel pretty badly around my mouth). It's pretty embarrassing when other people are around. redface.gif

MemberMember
(@chestercool)

Posted : 06/28/2012 11:41 pm

i totally understand how you feel...its totally annoying. I remember when my ex's little sister told her "why do you love him if he had those red marks". The truth is that children do not think before talking, they dont know how the other person feels like...its normal

MemberMember
(@omarcomin)

Posted : 06/29/2012 3:40 am

The funny thing is that in 12 years i've only had about 2 comments off of young kids about my acne. I got a lot of abuse at school from other kids but they were all my own age. I've had only 2 comments from young kids since i've been an adult. All the abuse i get now days is from adults my own age or older, once from a man in his forties. It's pathetic when you think about it.

MemberMember
(@elm74hotmail-com)

Posted : 06/29/2012 10:53 am

I work in a primary school, so I'm very conscious of all the children being able to see when I have horrible lumps on my face. You can't hide away when you have to face a class.

Last year a girl said to me "your face is wet" (ie so greasy she thought I had water all over it) and tried to touch it.

Last week another girl said" you have eczema", when I said I didn't, she said "yes, you have bubbly eczema and looked at my face", then I realised she was talking about my acne.

At least they're not being unkind, they just observe and say what they see, but it's still upsetting sometimes because you know you are looking at the one thing you don't want them to notice, so it draws your attention to it, makes you self conscious and starts you wondering what the other children (and staff) are thinking about it or even saying to each other.

Try not to take it personally, they usually don't intend it that way.

MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 06/29/2012 2:21 pm

for the most part

kids=raw truth, adults=mushy stuff.

MemberMember
(@hi-its-me-john)

Posted : 06/29/2012 5:45 pm

Yeah with all due respect to the OP..im sure it frustrated you..but children don't know any better, they dont usually have a filter when it comes to stuff that is out of the ordinary to them

MemberMember
(@lauritac)

Posted : 06/29/2012 5:57 pm

I babysit, and I've had few kids going like "woahhh! what are those red things all over your face" hehe I just say allergies because then I have to explain to them that one day they will most likely have that too... would be mean to tell them that lol

Sometimes I just let their comment pass by, but sometimes when I am so self conscious about my skin, it kinda hurts my feelings knowing that that is the first thing people notice when they see you... :(

MemberMember
(@syn1122)

Posted : 07/07/2012 6:27 pm

lol><

MemberMember
(@catherinemorland)

Posted : 07/11/2012 2:25 am

I think for the most part children are just curious. While babysitting today I was asked "why" about 14 times. They're just learning. And probably concerned if they think zits are booboos. Ya know how kids are always comparing ouchies.

You could always throw a curveball at them. Tell them you didn't clean your room when your mom told you to or something.

MemberMember
(@mgx)

Posted : 07/18/2012 7:49 am

Still breaking out at this point..... Plus my neice just asked me literally a while ago "when did you start having pimples?"............ Was dumbstruck again and said nothing..... I felt myself shrink back again and being devoured by my blackhole.......Kids say the meanest things sometimes... and then you hate yourself coz your hurt!

saywhat.gif

MemberMember
(@dsumo402)

Posted : 07/19/2012 6:12 am

While I was on a camping trip a few weeks ago with this boy scout troop I had one of them tell me I would get all the girls if I would get rid of the wrinkles on my face, I told him it wasn't wrinkles but it was acne. Ha, it was honestly motivational in a way. Eh kids are honest in the nicest way.

MemberMember
(@leavemealone)

Posted : 07/19/2012 8:50 am

Kids are kids, so it wouldn't bother me if a child came up to me and said something about my acne. It's not like kids would know what acne is at their age. I've had a few stares from kids here and there, but that's life. Kids are weird.

MemberMember
(@dsumo402)

Posted : 07/21/2012 4:40 am

Kids are kids, so it wouldn't bother me if a child came up to me and said something about my acne. It's not like kids would know what acne is at their age. I've had a few stares from kids here and there, but that's life. Kids are weird.

I agree, if there's any age group to not to worry about judging, it's children.