Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I just had a follow-up with my gastroenterologist after having an ultrasound and an upper endoscopy done and he suspects I have a gluten intolerance, though he said it's not really testable. I have moderate to severe gastroesophagenal reflux disease he said.

I also have eosinophilic esophagitis, mild chronic gastritis, and duodenal inflammation with increased plasma cells. Boo. :\ Translated to: my life is seemingly over.

He told me not to eat wheat but I figure cutting out all gluten is best. This proves to be very difficult. I can't even have my favorite condiment, barbecue sauce. FREAKING BARBECUE SAUCE. And some salad dressings. Why can't they just label everything with gluten already?

Is anyone else on here super frustrated if they also quit eating gluten? And I guess I'm just wondering if it gets any better because right now I'm in the middle of a 15 hour shift at work and I have no gluten free food and I feel pretty damn cranky. I also have excruciating stomach pains.

This is my first day without gluten and I feel like I'm just gonna break and eat 3 whole pizzas with yummy, delicious gluten lol. Any advice?

Edited by clambak3

Not only was I frustrated in the beginning, I was DEVASTATED.

But now, years later, I am so thankful. Discovering my severe intolerance to gluten and other foods got me on a beautiful path, where I learned to cook everything for myself from scratch. I now consider myself a chef and am thinking about starting my own health foods/beauty blog. So many of the things that have happened to me in my life came as a result of going gluten free. And the best part: I've inspired a lot of other people to do the same!

You are barely at the beginning of understanding the way your life will change from this, but as someone who has been there I encourage you to embrace it the way I did. Forget about grieving old habits like BBQ sauce (probably filled with chemical crap anywAY) or salad dressing. Make your own BBQ sauce and salad dressing! Become independent in a way you never even knew was possible!

Congratulations on your new life. :)

Gluten isn't a problem for me, but soy is. It rules out most salad dressings, condiments, restaurant or takeout food, food prepared by other people, anything on which someone may have used cooking spray...etc. So I know how you feel and it does suck neutral.gif

Dejaclairevoyant is absolutely right, though. I love and agree with her entire post. My dietary restrictions are in many ways a curse, but they've also turned into an odd blessing. I'm a LOT healthier than I used to be, my skin/hair/nails/weight are all at their best of my entire life, and I've become an excellent cook over the years. I miss some foods sometimes, but once you get familiar with the ingredients of a lot of pre-prepared stuff, you learn how many chemicals, dyes and other weird additives most people eat without even knowing it! It's pretty freaky.

It's not an easy transition - not by a long shot - but you will be better off in the long run by having to be more vigilant about your diet. I hope that offers you at least some consolation. comfort.gif

Edited by GorgeouslyGothic

So I just had a follow-up with my gastroenterologist after having an ultrasound and an upper endoscopy done and he suspects I have a gluten intolerance, though he said it's not really testable. I have moderate to severe gastroesophagenal reflux disease he said.

I also have eosinophilic esophagitis, mild chronic gastritis, and duodenal inflammation with increased plasma cells. Boo. :\ Translated to: my life is seemingly over.

He told me not to eat wheat but I figure cutting out all gluten is best. This proves to be very difficult. I can't even have my favorite condiment, barbecue sauce. FREAKING BARBECUE SAUCE. And some salad dressings. Why can't they just label everything with gluten already?

Is anyone else on here super frustrated if they also quit eating gluten? And I guess I'm just wondering if it gets any better because right now I'm in the middle of a 15 hour shift at work and I have no gluten free food and I feel pretty damn cranky. I also have excruciating stomach pains.

This is my first day without gluten and I feel like I'm just gonna break and eat 3 whole pizzas with yummy, delicious gluten lol. Any advice?

Sure it is. Wheat, Barley, And Rye IgG's. I work in a Lab, I know. This is a perfect example of what's wrong with Healthcare (or lack there of) in the America.

Dejaclairevoyant & GorgeouslyGothic,

Thank you both so much for helping me to see the brighter side of this situation! I really know this will help me to be even healthier and more aware of what I'm putting into my body. I am so tempted by these cookies right by my desk but I know it will pass as with all of the rest of temptations. I do love to cook also, sometimes it's a little time consuming but I can just make food in bulk and bring leftovers to work and stuff or just make quick foods when I have less time.

I guess what helps me too is knowing that I can handle not eating foods I love. Last September I stopped eating beef and pork. I used to love both of those things but honestly I became much healthier after it and I know that a gluten-free diet will help me to continue on a better health track. Not being able to eat eggs is hard too as I am allergic. I hope I see results in my stomach health and all over. :)

I am so tempted by these cookies right by my desk

I guess what helps me too is knowing that I can handle not eating foods I love. Last September I stopped eating beef and pork. I used to love both of those things but honestly I became much healthier after it and I know that a gluten-free diet will help me to continue on a better health track. Not being able to eat eggs is hard too as I am allergic. I hope I see results in my stomach health and all over. smile.png

You should totally make yourself some gluten-free cookies! I spent a long time pining over peanut butter cookies before it dawned on me to choose a soy-free peanut butter and make some myself without eggs (most contain soy) and dairy. Oh man, so good - even better from scratch and from the lack of instant satisfaction, honestly. You appreciate your treats more when you spend a long time without them :)

You are very welcome - I wish I'd been on this board when I discovered my allergy because I really could have used some support.

Unrelated, but I totally understand about feeling better after dropping red meat. I was a vegetarian for awhile and I felt AWESOME after getting rid of that stuff. I ended up adding fish and seafood back into my diet after discovering my intolerances and cutting so many other things, and I still feel great this way. Red meat always felt really heavy to me...never sat right and made me feel lethargic. I bet you're gonna feel awesome once you get used to the dietary changes you're making :)

Seriously, red meat isn't necessary and it always gave me heart pains. Isn't life great when you treat your body right? Maybe now I'll work out even more often. Cuz I've been slacking.

You're right about the instant satisfaction thing. But then again cookies aren't good for me so maybe I'll learn to drop all of that sugary stuff almost completely.

And how do you make cookies without eggs? That's my problem toooo.

I can't wait to go grocery shopping. I'm going to be like a little kid on Christmas. Getting a bunch of good, healthy foods and not feeling bad about eating too much unhealthy stuff. I will miss macaroni though. But I know I can get gluten free noodles and stuff. It's just harder lol which can put a damper on my positivity sometimes.

I'm glad you're healthy and positive about everything. :D

To be honest, I do have my negative days. They bring a lot of free food into the office where I work and it's really frustrating not to be able to join in and to constantly answer questions about am I anorexic, am I picky, am I a food snob, etc. I try to focus on the positive as much as I can, though.

There are a few different ways to bake without eggs! You can use either applesauce or a banana in cakes, cookies, pancakes, etc. Mashing up one medium banana = one egg. My other favorite way is to use chickpea flour, which is also gluten-free I believe. You use a quarter cup of chickpea flour and add it to your dry ingredients, then add a quarter cup of water to your wet ingredients. When you mix everything up, it helps with binding like an egg would. There are other ways...these are the ones I use. I Googled vegan baking to get these tips and I'm really fond of them.The banana adds a wonderful sweet creaminess to things.