Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
midnightmist

Interesting Article For Hypopigmentation - Laser + Bimatoprost

Repigmentation of Hypopigmented Scars Using an

Erbium-Doped 1,550-nm Fractionated Laser and Topical

Bimatoprost

BACKGROUND Hypopigmented scarring is a challenging condition to treat, with current treatments showing

limited efficacy and temporary results. Nonablative fractional resurfacing has been demonstrated to be

an effective and safe modality in the treatment of hypopigmented scars.

OBJECTIVES To demonstrate the efficacy and safety of combining fractional resurfacing with topical

bimatoprost and topical tretinoin or pimecrolimus for the treatment of hypopigmented sc

MATERIALS AND METHODS Fourteen patients with hypopigmented scars were treated with a mean of

4.5 sessions of a fractionated 1,550-nm erbium-doped laser at 4- to 8-week intervals and subsequently

started topical bimatoprost and tretinoin or pimecrolimus. An independent physician evaluated digital photographs

taken before and 4 weeks after the last laser treatment using a quartile grading scale (grade 1,

25% improvement; grade 2, 2650% improvement; grade 3, 5175% improvement; grade 4, >75%

improvement).

RESULTS Five patients had>75% improvement in hypopigmentation, and 12 had >50% improvement.

After a mean follow-up of 20.1 months, all patients demonstrated prolonged results. Side effects were

limited to transitory post-treatment edema and erythema.

CONCLUSION The combination of fractional resurfacing, topical bimatoprost, and tretinoin or pimecrolimus

is a potential effective resource for the treatment of hypopigmented scars, with long-lasting results.

© 2012 by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Inc. Published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

ISSN: 1076-0512 Dermatol Surg 2012;1–7 DOI: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2012.02389.x

its a new article and wiley says it will be published in the next edition of whatever journal its supposed to be in.i paid $30 so i could see the whole report. overall it seems ok. facial scars saw more improvement than ones on the body and hypopigmentation caused by lasers was more easilly resolved than hypopigmentation caused by trauma.

no one saw complete improvement sadly and i left wondering whether the method, although useful might be flawed, or whether its the laser they used. I had a look at this erbium dubbed laser and it seems to be non ablative - so a pretty weak laser for scars. the 4 or 5 treatments that most people wouldve had would be similar to 1 x fractional repair treatment. i do wonder the patients had been exposed to the fraxel repair laser and this treatment, whether they wouldve seen even better outcomes.

never herd of lasers treating hypopigmentation,

I have seen pretty good results for hypopigmentation from Avita's "ReCell"

yeah i know what your saying, but your missing the most important point - the bimatoprost.

the laser is merely a way of getting the bimatoprost deep into the skin. from what i read, they had the laser treatment(s), then continued to use tretinoin or pimecrolimus afterwards, alongside the bimatoprost.

if it was just a laser treatment, i doubt it would do crap, especially since they used a pretty weak laser.

its nice to know there might be cheaper alternatives to avita out there, as bimatoprost is only a few hundred bucks. its an eyelash medication, used to make eyelashes longer and the repigmenting thing was an accident :)

Edited by midnightmist