Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zraden

In Need Of A Natural Soap.

I wasnt really sure where to post this but if it gets moved, all good.

I need a natural soap.

Were going camping in a few weeks and a need a soap/bodywash

recipe.

One for guys and one for gals.

The camping spot were going to is far from anything and only has

a large fresh water lake. I don't want to pollute the lake with store

bought products. Does anyone have a natural, non polluting, eco friendly

soap recipe they could share?

For a guys recipe, please no lavender or rose peddles.. lol

Kiss My Face's Olive Oil soap bar: http://kissmyface.com/product/item/17

It's not a homemade recipe but I've used this for over a year and I love it. They have other varieties but I like the pure olive oil one because it has the least ingredients (the scented ones have "fragrance"). This one is just olive oil, water and sodium chloride (salt). It doesn't smell like much, so it won't be too girly :)

why do you need any soap? stuff leaves a film over you skin and inhibits cellular function, which leads to a lot of peoples acne...

Kiss My Face's Olive Oil soap bar: http://kissmyface.com/product/item/17

It's not a homemade recipe but I've used this for over a year and I love it. They have other varieties but I like the pure olive oil one because it has the least ingredients (the scented ones have "fragrance"). This one is just olive oil, water and sodium chloride (salt). It doesn't smell like much, so it won't be too girly smile.png

Awesome! Do you know if it foams up at all? Trying to avoid the foam. When people see foam

in the water they don't care what your using, they just assume your using regular soap with fish killing

chemicals in it.

why do you need any soap? stuff leaves a film over you skin and inhibits cellular function, which leads to a lot of peoples acne...

LOL..... Cause I dont like stinking like camp fire and body odour when we go in to town

a few different times that week for the events going on.

Edited by Zraden

Awesome! Do you know if it foams up at all? Trying to avoid the foam. When people see foam

in the water they don't care what your using, they just assume your using regular soap with fish killing

chemicals in it.

Not really, no. You can work it into a bit of a lather but it takes a few seconds, and after that it rinses clean. It doesn't foam like regular chemical soap at all.

LOL..... Cause I dont like stinking like camp fire and body odour when we go in to town

so not washing your face makes it smell like a camp fire and body odour? interesting...

maybe just change your cloths?

so not washing your face makes it smell like a camp fire and body odour? interesting...

maybe just change your cloths?

No. Sitting around a campfire and being in the sun/ warm weather sweating, makes you stinks like campfire and body odour. I'm looking for a bar of soap that I can take in to the lake in the mornings to wash with and not kill the fish in the process. There's something about putting clean cloths on a dirty body that seams rather counter productive don't you think?

Edited by Zraden

Plus I'm not one of those people that feels comfortable walking around in public knowing I can smell my own armpits. That's just bad hygiene IMO.

Have you ever tried washing with water only. You might find you don't need soap. I haven't used it for a couple of years, other than hand washing.

Have you ever tried washing with water only. You might find you don't need soap. I haven't used it for a couple of years, other than hand washing.

exactly, she gets it!

^ I think your point is clear now.

People have been using soap (or soap-like substances, ashes/fats, oily leaves, berries/seeds) for millennia, because it cleaned better than water only. And Zraden has a good point, smelling like a wet dog isn't accepted nowadays (unless you're a dog, of course). If you don't smell and can use water only: perfect, otherwise use soap, it's really not that weird.

Zraden, have a look at Dr. Bronner or Dr. Woods soaps, I think they're completely biodegradable, and not too expensive, either. Enjoy camping! :)

People have been using soap (or soap-like substances, ashes/fats, oily leaves, berries/seeds) for millennia, because it cleaned better than water only. And Zraden has a good point, smelling like a wet dog isn't accepted nowadays (unless you're a dog, of course). If you don't smell and can use water only: perfect, otherwise use soap, it's really not that weird.

Yes, but I think that many people believe it is absolutely essential. And if you try it, you might discover you really don't need it at all. Which is why I'm suggesting you try it before your trip.

My brother thinks soap has some magical properties. He actually cost me my deposit on an apartment because when I asked if he would clean up some dirt from a plant that spilled on the carpet. Instead of simply vacuuming it up, he dumped a ton of soap on it and turned it into a stain.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Soap isn't necessary at all. Distilled water is by far the best "cleanser" I've ever used. It leaves the skin soft and hydrated. I have Accutane-dried skin and ever since I started using distilled water, my complexion has improved and I haven't had to use moisturizer.

^ Lakes usually don't consist of distilled water wink.png You'd have to bring a truckload if you want to wash your whole body once or twice a day. That's not really eco-friendly.

Yes, but I think that many people believe it is absolutely essential. And if you try it, you might discover you really don't need it at all. Which is why I'm suggesting you try it before your trip.

My brother thinks soap has some magical properties. He actually cost me my deposit on an apartment because when I asked if he would clean up some dirt from a plant that spilled on the carpet. Instead of simply vacuuming it up, he dumped a ton of soap on it and turned it into a stain.

lol, I know what you mean. Same with all these chlorinated (or otherwise treated) anti-bacterial cleaning wipes. No wonder people have poor defenses against diseases, and bacteria become more and more resistant. And I don't think you must use soap, but water only just doesn't work for everybody. I agree that it won't hurt to try, but trying to convince people, while they've specifically and repeatedly said that they want to use a natural soap, isn't gonna work (that wasn't you, btw). Personally, I like me some soap after an evening of exercising (well, sort of) or a long day at work. It just makes me feel better and cleaner. And an odorless alum stone crystal+water deodorant is all you need to keep those smelly bacteria under control. I hate it when people use so much perfume or deodorant, that it turns them into walking perfume bottles. Makes me gag, really. I'd rather smell some sweat (emphasis on "some"). Anyway, Zraden's question was clear, and I think it has been answered.

What works for you does not necessarily work for everyone.

I started using soap because of my acne. Since then, I've changed my diet and have tried going without soap, but it just doesn't work. My face cakes up with oil and I start to get deep cysts; this doesn't happen when I use a face wash.

What works for you does not necessarily work for everyone.

I started using soap because of my acne. Since then, I've changed my diet and have tried going without soap, but it just doesn't work. My face cakes up with oil and I start to get deep cysts; this doesn't happen when I use a face wash.

there is a paradigm, if you use soap you will have to continue to use soap or what you described will occur, in the beginning. It takes time to heal and allow your skin to become natural and because the transition doesn't occur overnight a lot of people will never experience it.

Did you miss this part?

I started using soap because of my acne.

I started getting acne as a young teenager. That was before I started using soap to wash my face. Not using soap isn't going to calm my hormones or stop my pores from clogging, It will just allow bacteria to thrive in the oil that's built up on my face as a consequence of me washing with a substance that is nonmiscible in lipids.

Did you miss this part?

I started using soap because of my acne.

I started getting acne as a young teenager. That was before I started using soap to wash my face. Not using soap isn't going to calm my hormones or stop my pores from clogging, It will just allow bacteria to thrive in the oil that's built up on my face as a consequence of me washing with a substance that is nonmiscible in lipids.

yes, i seen it...you don't think i have been down that same road? in my experience soap/topicals only worsened my acne, there was maybe one time that I was ever clear using them and it only lasted 2 weeks, then back to dried out reliance on products from a store, i never got 100% clear and acne free until i gave it up, amongst dietary changes.

Maybe the dietary changes did the job, and it had nothing much to do with soap? And what soap are we talking anyway? There's thousands. If soap was the culprit, then someone using water only shouldn't get acne, according to that theory.

Maybe the dietary changes did the job, and it had nothing much to do with soap? And what soap are we talking anyway? There's thousands. If soap was the culprit, then someone using water only shouldn't get acne, according to that theory.

all soaps, even sls free soaps, they dry my skin out, but it isnt just soap, baking soda did this as well...sunscreen does this too. the only thing other than water that doesnt do anything is ocean water...hot water makes my skin super dry as well, so i stick to cool to cold water and everything is fine

all soaps, even sls free soaps, they dry my skin out, but it isnt just soap, baking soda did this as well...sunscreen does this too. the only thing other than water that doesnt do anything is ocean water...hot water makes my skin super dry as well, so i stick to cool to cold water and everything is fine

That's awesome! Apparently cool/cold water is all you need. Cheapo tongue.png

That's awesome! Apparently cool/cold water is all you need. Cheapo tongue.png

lol, yup im a cheap skate, lol

^ I think your point is clear now.

Zraden, have a look at Dr. Bronner or Dr. Woods soaps, I think they're completely biodegradable, and not too expensive, either. Enjoy camping! smile.png

TY! I don't wash with soap on my face ever. Its water only and pat dry. That's it!

As for my body, I get very self concious being in public knowing I have a bit of "the funk"

going on and wash with something lightly scented and moisture enriched ie Cetifill

(spelling) epically now being on Accutane and constantly peeling.

As for camping, Im looking for something natural so 1, I don't kill the fish

and 2, to wash last days camp fire and "funk" from my body before I present my self in public.

No chemicals or harsh scent. Just something to freshen up a bit.

Lol.. I never figured the topic of soap would start such controversy. saywhat.gif

Edited by Zraden

Well, my 15 year old son has been using the water only method for months now and the oil on his face, especially his forehead is rather excessive. He gets some pretty bad breakouts, and we are dealing with one now that just won't budge. I feel that the green tea/salt toner and some sulfur treatments we are trying are just not getting through the excessive oil to be effective. Any suggestions on how we can decreased the excessive oil while still staying away from commercial cleansers? I threw them all out and no more are coming in. I was wondering about a soft oatmeal wash, perhaps only using the water from the cooked oatmeal becaus ehe dislikes anything scratchy against his face. Thank you in advance.

Well, my 15 year old son has been using the water only method for months now and the oil on his face, especially his forehead is rather excessive. He gets some pretty bad breakouts, and we are dealing with one now that just won't budge. I feel that the green tea/salt toner and some sulfur treatments we are trying are just not getting through the excessive oil to be effective. Any suggestions on how we can decreased the excessive oil while still staying away from commercial cleansers? I threw them all out and no more are coming in. I was wondering about a soft oatmeal wash, perhaps only using the water from the cooked oatmeal becaus ehe dislikes anything scratchy against his face. Thank you in advance.

Blotting. Clay. Also, apply milk of magnesia or better yet, magnesium citrate although I haven't seen as many people rave about it. It's just that MOM is very alkaline and you want your skin to be acidic. The magnesium is very beneficial, btw.

Also, try topical application of things that inhibit DHT like green tea, mint tea, a high linoleic acid oil like grapeseed for cleansing.

More info: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/230714-good-things-for-the-many-factors-that-lead-to-acne/page__st__20#entry2637530