Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jibarra47

Will Dermarolling Help Me? Pics Included, Please Help Me!

Hi I wanted to know how bad my skin is and I wanted a few questions answered on dermarolling.

Will dermarolling help my kind of scarring at all?

Will dermarolling get rid of the redness and pih for my kind of skin?

Will copper peptides/emu oil help my skin while dermarolling or will I break out even worse?

What size roller should I get?

What kind of scars do I have and how severe are they?

How often should I roll and does it hurt?

How do I apply copper peptides and sunblock after I roll?

Sorry for writing so much and thanks to anyone that answers! :D here are some pics!

945abe8f.jpg

3571c3ed.jpg

76765197.jpg

Edited by jibarra47

you have moderatly severe ice pick scarring. Im not sure how dermarolling works on ice pick, Ive only seen pictures of it being used on rolling type scars. I dont think it would help becasue ice pick scars are deep in the dermis. The best thing I would recommend for you is Fractional Co2 laser resurfacing, If you can find a Dr. who performs either the Deep FX or Fraxel Re:Pair in your town then I say go for it. these lasers can penetrate 1.7 MM to 2.0 MM which is just as deep as your scarring is.

First of all I think you'r skin looks really good. You definately don't have severe scarring.

I honestly don't see much scarring but that could because of the redness. Only small scarred pores over your cheeks. and maybe some shallow boxscars.

It's similar to my scarring in a way. I think mine looks much worse though. I have scarred pores over my entire face as well and some bigger ice pick scars.

I'm planning on dermarolling too , together with copper peptides and surgical excision on some of my bigger scars.

I'd highly reccommend you to go to sarah vaughtners website. She is one of the most honest,educating and caring people in the dermarolling business and really gives good information.

Either way don't let it get you down because I think you are gorgeous.

Edited by tonyocr

I agreed with above!! Try something natural for scars, like aloe vera (fresh), essential oils, sweet almond oil.. etc.. do some research on how to treat acne scars naturally. Also, eating lots of veggies/fruits helps.. try adding aloe vera(fresh) into smoothies and drink 1-2 tsp turmeric in coconut water daily ( I know, the taste is bad) These helps though :)

Edited by EddieE

your scars not bad, i think after pih and discoloration fade ,u will get good look skin,from what i see from pics,u have Icepick / boxcar

scars,it's not bad,derma roller may work,it's need time to see results from it,1.5mm size suitable for u and u can use vitamin c or copper peptides after rolling,i use copper peptides from a month but i know it's need more time to see results, i know some people say it's not good and other say its give them so good results along with needling and acids,you will never know until give it try !,i used super cp and exfol cream for a month ,no bad reaction at all, after i start use lacsal serum i get redness/bad irritation,it's two months till now and irritation still here ,so be cautious if u will use this products.retin a also good for pih,the other option for you, fractional Co2 laser like fraxel repair, i hope everything be ok with u:)

Thanks everybody for your responses! I'll definitely take all of your advice into consideration! :) Does anybody else have any advice or commentary? Thank you all so much!

Thanks everybody for your responses! I'll definitely take all of your advice into consideration! smile.png Does anybody else have any advice or commentary? Thank you all so much!

Well for starters, I don't believe dermarolling works to begin with. But for the sake of argument, don't do any type of chemical peels or dermarolling until you deal with your active acne.

Good luck bud!

Edited by collegeboy84

Well for starters, I don't believe dermarolling works to begin with. But for the sake of argument, don't do any type of chemical peels or dermarolling until you deal with your active acne.

>I don't believe something that works on the same principles as fractional lasers, which I have had done, could possibly work

lol ok

Your comparing Dermaroller to Fractional Lasers?

Sure, a dermaroller in some way creates Micro-Thermal Zones similar to that of Fractional lasers (not really but I'll go with it). However Fractional lasers, particularly CO2 (opposed to erbium) use thermal-energy to literally vaporize columns of skin, and very accurately. This thermal heating INSTANTLY shrinks the surface of the skin by up to 35% at 70 Joules. This shrinkage has a pretty significant impact on appearance of certain types of acne scars.

But that is just one man's opinion. As I said before, even if dermarolling does work, I wouldn't attempt it before getting rid of some of your active acne. I would imagine poking your pimples with tiny little needles could lead to further irritation.

This video speaks for itself. Let me know when Dermarolling will do this to your scars.

"lol ok"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Etr9g66b7fs

Edited by collegeboy84

Your comparing Dermaroller to Fractional Lasers?

Sure, a dermaroller in some way creates Micro-Thermal Zones similar to that of Fractional lasers (not really but I'll go with it). However Fractional lasers, particularly CO2 (opposed to erbium) use thermal-energy to literally vaporize columns of skin, and very accurately. This thermal heating INSTANTLY shrinks the surface of the skin by up to 35% at 70 Joules. This shrinkage has a pretty significant impact on appearance of certain types of acne scars. So ya, I stand by my statement that Dermarolling is not going to work for acne scarring, and I definitely would not compare it to fractional lasers. But that is just one man's opinion.

This video speaks for itself. Let me know when Dermarolling will do this to your scars.

"lol ok"

"works on the same principles" != "has the exact same mode of action"

Both create tiny injuries to the skin. fractional ablative lasers do so with heat, needling does it mechanically. Needling crushes scar tissue, lasers vapourise scar tissue.

>"So ya, I stand by my statement that Dermarolling is not going to work for acne scarring"

Ok, but you look as stupid as the people who say "Lasers don't work! They're a scam!" with nothing to back it up :]

I think the idea here is to attempt to help the poster, not argue amongst our selves.

My original reply to the poster was... if you attempt to dermaroll or do an acid peel to help your scarring, clear up your active acne first. I would say that is a fairly reasonable point.

And yes, I don't believe dermarolling will have any significant impact on acne scarring. I am entitled to my opinion right? I didn't say " DERMAROLLING IS A SCAM! IT DOES NOT WORK!" Plenty of people claim that laser treatments don't work, and quite honestly, it doesn't work for some people.

But thank you for pointing out " how stupid I look." I am not sure I will be able to sleep tonight.

P.S. - Keep in the mind what the title of this post is. "Will Dermarolling help me?" I apologize that my answer is different then the others who replied. Please don't hang me for it.

Edited by collegeboy84

Nope.avi once again, god I bet your a nasty person in real life you seem oh so bitter! every time I look on this board your knocking people's techniques or swearing your right pulling therories and study's out your ass don't make you right listen to the people on the board what's happening to them from doing treatments befor you downplay shit and say oh no that couldn't possibly happen because study's have show it can't do that blah blah blah, Do you have any pictures of your scars btw? What methods have you tried?

Edited by Thatusernameisalreadytaken

"works on the same principles" != "has the exact same mode of action"

Both create tiny injuries to the skin. fractional ablative lasers do so with heat, needling does it mechanically. Needling crushes scar tissue, lasers vapourise scar tissue.

>"So ya, I stand by my statement that Dermarolling is not going to work for acne scarring"

Ok, but you look as stupid as the people who say "Lasers don't work! They're a scam!" with nothing to back it up :]

uhhh.... I'm nto sure why I used the term 'mode of action' there. I've totally forgotten the word i should have used. 5.30am, fuck it.

"works on the same principles" != "works in the exact same way"

that'll do.

Do you have any links to any real scientific studies that back this claim?

I'm not asking to be a jerk. I am curious to know how you can make this claim and back it with scientific evidence that shows "home" derma rolling works on the same principle as ablative, fractional Co2 laser treatment and can produce similar results for the OP's type of scarring. The quotes & links you posted earlier are purely anecdotal and based on a retailer's claims. Even if we were to believe her claims (Is she even a doctor?), then this quote confirms that the dermaroller would be less effective on the OP's scars:

(snip)

What kind of scars do I have and how severe are they? Icepick/boxcars. You may want to look into single needling Icepicks (don't use a tattoo needle or a lancet), from what I hear they respond better.

(snip)

She's not encouraging the person to use her roller in the above quote, but instead, is suggesting single needling for the OP's type of scarring. I am pointing this out because I believe this thread is about the OP's scars, not the effectiveness of rolling.

Edited by TokyoGirl

i think the risk factor is higher with lasers ...they could fry you face mon huh.png

Risk is definitely higher, but what about the potential improvement on ice pick & boxcar scars (as proven by scientific studies)?

I might have missed something here and I'll come back to it later if I have, because it's 4am and I'm probably too drunk anyway.

I see your post parody.

Sorry, I was a bit drunk myself. rolleyes.gif

I believe rolling works for some people. I've seen some amazing photos. I couldn't do it. Honestly, I find it hard to believe it's comparable to laser. That's me. However, I do believe there are benefits with both treatments, and of course, laser has higher risk.

BTW, there's a known plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills who believes in derma rolling AFTER fractional co2 laser. He believes there are benefits to rolling & collagen production that can't be obtained by laser alone.

This is the guy:

http://www.realself.com/find/California/Los-Angeles/Plastic-Surgeon/Glenn-Vallecillos

If you read some of his posts on derma rolling & laser, he explains his technique a bit in a few Q&A replies.