Notifications
Clear all

Is "the Regimen" For Me? [Photographs Included]

MemberMember
(@pleasemakemeprettyagain)

Posted : 06/22/2012 3:05 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a 21 year old female from the UK. This is my first time on Acne.org and I'm a little lost, so hopefully someone will be able to guide me. I feel like I'm finally out of the closet, I don't talk about this to anyone - appart from my nurse at my clinic

Let's start from the beginning, so that someone can help me:

About two years ago I started to get mild hormonal breakouts on my jawline, to the right hand side. I'm talking three or four pimples, which isn't very much but as I'd had blemish free skin previously it made me think that something wasn't quite right. I was on birth control at the time, but was never able to take it properly - I sometimes missed pills, which I'm sure didn't help.

Fast forward to eight months ago: I noticed my skin was even worse. Whole breakouts now from my jaw, now spread onto my chin too. I went to the nurse, they put me on new birth control, "skin friendly" birth control which apparently has had success clearing hormonal breakouts in women. I took it for a couple of months (missing a few as always, I don't mean it - I'm just one of those disorganized/busy people) but never really noticed a difference. I was supposed to go back to the nurse and get more but I could never get the time off work or college to make an appointment. So I came off the pill altogether.

Fast forward to today: Now the whole of my chin, jawline and bottom half of my face is covered in moderate acne. I get white heads and puss filled spots - which hurt really bad. I've tried benzyol peroxide and cleansing (not for long) but I actually have dry skin, so I was always really scared to make it worse. Can someone answer me this: How come someone with dry skin get acne? Sorry if that's silly. I've tried doing nothing, leaving them alone - no makeup, no cleansing. Just moisturizng, which can help with the redness/anger of the spots but doesn't clear them up. I stopped wearing makeup on the ares I had acne, the bottom half of my face, which was hard because I love cosmetics. I cleansed this area and moisturized, which helped a little but not very much.

I went to the nurse again yesterday and they put me back on birth control . I've decided I'm going to be 100% fully commited to this - I've set an alarm on my phone so that I remember to take it every single day. I'd just like some advice on how long it will take for the pills to help, if they will help at all.

And also as the title says; judging by what I've said above about my skin, is the Acne.org regimen for me?

Photo's taken without make-up were taken today.

MemberMember
(@zraden)

Posted : 06/22/2012 3:19 am

First of all its good that your back on the pill. It should help but will take time.

The BP regiment might help but not all creams or all pills work for everyone.

Be prepared for some trial and error.

For some people it takes years to find what triggers their acne but

if you keep with it, im sure you will be fine.

MemberMember
(@nyakabr)

Posted : 06/22/2012 8:08 am

I have Hormonal Acne as well. Going on BCP cleared up about 50-75% of my acne, although it took a good 5 months to really make a difference, and I'm not even on a pill that's specially made to clear acne (Have been taking it about 8 months now). I found a more natural approach works best if your acne is truely hormonal. Eat a good diet and avoid foods that can mess with your hormones, especially around that time of the month. Avoid caffeine and dairy especially. I still eat some dairy, but much less than before and no caffeine at all (I used to drink coffee everyday).

I also started taking good supplements that seem to have helped such as Vits. C, B-complex, E, A, D, Zinc, Calcium, Magnesium. This with a combination of plenty of water drinking and regular exercise has made my acne basically non-existent.

MemberMember
(@kailaruth)

Posted : 06/22/2012 9:13 am

you ARE so pretty!!! From your pictures I wouldn't call your acne moderate- more mild and non inflamed- looks just like mine. I feel like its especially stubborn when its mostly under the skin. I've been on Gianvi (gen. form of yaz) for a year and it helped a bit- not much- like 25% reduction. I thought I had dry skin but it turned out only the top layer was dry- I removed all the dead/ dry skin with a procedure called dermaplaning. After that I found out that I really had oily skin and was over moisterizing like crazy.

MemberMember
(@tiwi)

Posted : 06/22/2012 8:06 pm

agree with Kailaruth, you are so pretty :) i have dry skin too,but i have acne too hahaha, so yes, of course dry skin could have acne too, my bestfriend have oily skin but she doesnt have even one acne on her face haha her skin is smooth like baby's ass *sounds not fair ya?* but i think if you want to try the regimen ,then go ahead try it! :) nothing's wrong with it! hope you can get clear soon,pretty lady! :)

MemberMember
(@pleasemakemeprettyagain)

Posted : 06/23/2012 12:31 am

Thanks for the replies everyone, you guys are so sweet eusa_angel.gif . Having the breakouts doesn't make me feel pretty at all. I feel like I can't look someone directly in the eye incase they see my chin, so I keep my head down all the time. Yesterday I had an appointment with my optician - who turned out to be really young and hot... I just kept thinking he must be looking at my acne. Eep!

Zraden - Doing my research last night I stumbled across Acne Cosmetica. Basically where make-up causes your acne, it sounded just like me. I've been blaming hormones for it since I hear from everyone that all acne on the chin is hormonal. I'm beginning to think now, that that isn't the case. After I posted on here I made my way down to the pharmacy and bought a clean and clear facial wash (as reccomened by Dan), I already had some Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% and a derma care moisturizer which doesn't contain any nasty ingredients. I banned make-up and I followed the regimen yesterday, twice as advised, and I can already see a difference today. So I'm gonna stick at it and see how it goes. biggrin.png

NYakaBR - I drink a lot of caffine. I have multiple cups tea and coffee all day long, even at night... I think I might switch to decaff! Do you think it's wise to take a multi-vitamin? I don't know if I like the idea of swallowing a handful of supplements.

Kaliaruth - Judging by your pictures you are gorgeous! I'm also sure I'm on Gianvi too. Except it's the brand name called Mercilon. If it helped clear up 25% of your acne, then I'm excited to see what it does for me. Also, what is dermaplaning?

tiwi - You're right it isn't fair. But life's not fair, is it? sad.png Like I said above, I'll stick with the regimen and see how it goes, I think it will ultamitely help me in the end. I notice less white heads today than yesterday and one or two pimples are starting to disappear. I think it's part hormonal, partly due to cosmetics. I finally feel i'm getting somewhere with this.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

I have started a blog on here if any of you are interested in seeing the photos after only one day. I am so surprised by the results:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/blog/6333/entry-23833-my-journey-with-acne-mild-1/

MemberMember
(@galper)

Posted : 06/23/2012 6:44 pm

Your skin looks like mine, only i dont have many bumps anymore more so dark spots, which trust me is sometimes worse.. Do yourself a favor and do NOT pick at your face.. one of the worst things you can do, i fully regret it.. and I still can't seem to stop.. -____- I recently.. just yesterday started Dans regimen, and the little breakouts that i get from around my time of the month have slowly started to go away.. I'm hoping to see improvement in a month or so.. Oh yeah, and I actually have really oily skin... Even with the BP- benzoyl Peroxide.. My skin feel so oily.. I only wash it twice a day like Dan recommends.. But i find myself running to the sink, resisting the urge to wash it-_____- feels so gross.. But best of luck to you! I wouldn't worry too much it seems very moderate at this point.. Just make sure youre drinking water to help flush the toxins out of your body.. water is probably a better alternative to tea.. but i like a cup of green tea every week, because I feel like it does a better job of cleaning out my system. By the way, I wouldn't cut anything COMPLETELY out of your diet.. Moderation is key.. so as for caffeine .. slowly reduce the dosage.. but a little of everything is the best way to maintain healthy skin, and a healthy diet&lifestyle. Plus the added vitamins should help, i recommend Fish oil, omega-3.. i took it once a day in the mornings with breakfast for 3 days.. and saw an improvement... I've just been lazy.. and have been forgetting to... Have to be dedicated to your skin care regime! Anyways, hope I helped.. though most of it i was rambling-____- OH YEAH, dont forget sunscreen, i recommend neutrogenas dry touch sunblock , im currently using the one with 75 SPF , 'cause I run cross country and swim, so im out in the sun a lot.. If you arent in the sun a lot, op for at least 40 SPF.. Neutrogenas has UVA AND UVB with is very important if you dont want scarring and skin damage.. which can increase your acne and chances of acne marks/scarring. Im trying to cramm a lot of information into this,because your acne isnt bad at all right now.. and im telling you this now, so you know.. to prevent..! anyways, best of luck~!

MemberMember
(@ethomp13)

Posted : 07/16/2012 5:24 pm

Last December, after having been off the pill for about 6 months, my skin was actually very similar to yours although I would a get a few cysts which were miserable. I had tried everythinggg, I was convinced that I would just have to get really good at putting on coverup. So I figured why the heck not try one more topical acne treatment (acne.org) I ordered the travel size because I didn't want to pay a lot of money for another product that would sit on a shelf because it didn't work.--Boy was I surprised. It actually really helped and it worked really fast. When I started the regimen, I also stopped wearing makeup. (EEEK) I know its terrifying to go with a naked face, but it was worth it. The regimen made my skin really dry (which is to be expected, just stick it out) so makeup wasn't really an option any way, If anything I would cover up the bad ones with a tiny, and I mean tiny bit of a non-acne causing concealer. Now, 90% of the time I go without any concealer or foundation. :) Stick with it!

MemberMember
(@m4gners)

Posted : 12/15/2012 5:38 am

I used to have skin like yours (hormonal breakouts) and I used The Regimen, which really helped clear my skin. I'd also recommend taking Zinc tablets (purchased from Holland and Baretts) They cleared my skin up like mad! I take two tablets a day and you should see results after about a month. Honestly my skin has changed because of the regimen and Zinc tablets. Shipping the regimen to the UK can be quite costly, but honestly it's 100% worth it! I would recommend ordering the regimen off Amazon.com as the shipping is significantly cheaper :) I hope this helped

MemberMember
(@narsrosha)

Posted : 07/03/2013 2:53 am

It's kind of sad seeing beauty like you having acne, really. Hope you get rid of it soon!

MemberMember
(@odosun)

Posted : 07/09/2013 7:05 am

please, how do i get Dan regimen in UK

MemberMember
(@fouzer)

Posted : 11/12/2013 3:51 am

NYakaBR - I drink a lot of caffine. I have multiple cups tea and coffee all day long, even at night... I think I might switch to decaff! Do you think it's wise to take a multi-vitamin? I don't know if I like the idea of swallowing a handful of supplements.

It took me years of on-and-off trial and error. I discovered that caffine was 90% of the cause of any acne that I ever got. Once I stopped drinking Mt. Dew and 5 hr energy, it improved immensely.

(I figured this out when I noticed that if I had a 5 Hour Energy, I would break out the very next day, EVERY TIME)

I would recommend to ANYONE struggling with Acne... check your caffiene intake!