Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikiejack

Bad enough for accutane (pictures)

Is my acne bad enough to get accutane.  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Is my acne bad enough to get accutane.

• Yes
    • No

Ok I am considering taking accutane. The natural route does work for me but following a special diet and chugging down £60 of supplements each month is become too much of a chore/expense. I recently started eating normally again and my face is a mess.

Let me know if you think my acne is bad enough to justify asking for accutane, BE HONEST. I have tried antibiotics before and they worked but I do not want to go back on them due to a pretty bad candida problem they caused me.

user posted image

Thanks

I was on accutane for for about one month. I just took myself off of it and told my doctor last week. But it worked wonders in its month of use and is still work. Hope it works for you.

I voted yes...what kind of diet were you on?

I've been on crazy diets for years, sometimes they worked some, but it always came up. I'm now on accutane for about 2 weeks and I'm happy to finally be on it.

I often feel like if I can control it by diet I should, but I found it nearly impossible to do.

For the first month I had to avoid all sugar to help get candida under control.

On a permanent basis I had to avoid dairy, white bread or anything containing white flour. Basically eat as healthy as possible. Watch the Glycemic level of foods. Control bowel movements so that I went a few times a day.

I was taking a load of supplements such as Zinc, Saw Palmetto, B Vitamin complex, MSM, Digestive Enzymes, EFA and one other but I can't remember.

It was brilliant, I was always clear or pretty close, even better than when I was taking antibiotics. It was actually a pleasure to look in the mirror and my confidence was high. Problem is it is hard work trying to eat good food all the time and I got to the stage and thought why should I work so damn hard.

You wouldn't believe how hard it was when I went out with friends to find something I could eat in a restaurant and I lost a load of weight.

I went back on to a normal diet to sort my weight because I am 6ft tall and got down to 9stone which is way too thin. I put on 3/4 of a stone in the space of 1 month and I am still putting weight on now which is a good thing. Problem is my skin looks like crap and I am embarrassed to be seen. I grow my beard to cover it but I have to shave every 5 days or so otherwise I look a mess and then the whole couple of days of embarrassment starts before my beard covers the acne.

To actually go on accutane would be a good thing. It would stop me going out drinking for a while and I could save some money for travelling next year.

Just found this site, super cheap:

http://www.healthyrisepharmacy.com/store/i...etstore?id=1436

do you scar easily? based on your presenting history, id say go for it....start at the lowest does possible and see what happens....then again im not a derm so i think you should consult one....my take on it is that accutane does wonders albeit there are certain precautions and rare side effects....

do you scar easily? based on your presenting history, id say go for it....start at the lowest does possible and see what happens....then again im not a derm so i think you should consult one....my take on it is that accutane does wonders albeit there are certain precautions and rare side effects....

Yes but not from acne for some reason.

I was planning on taking 10mg per day for the first month or soand then hopefully I will not get any serious breakouts

I was on accutane for for about one month.  I just took myself off of it and told my doctor last week.  But it worked wonders in its month of use and is still work.  Hope it works for you.

I would! Prevent scarring before it even starts! Wish I woulda known about tane when I first got acne now I have these fuckin scars to get rid of! GL

I would not plan on not having any breakouts. Thats the thing. You really mentally need to gear up for this If your going to do it because most people break out. Why only 10mg? Thats really low, let the doctor hit it hard or you'll be back on another course. Although there is some disagreement about this, accutane has been linked to depression and even suicide. Your comments about self esteem make nervous since I dont know you.

Here is the accutane plan:

Plan on breaking out, some people break out the whole time so you need to be prepared

Suck it up because its going to end, you brought in the big guns now let it do its job.

When in doubt remember there are a lot of people worse off than you.

Good luck man, my doctor actually gave me the presciption that day as long as I promised not to take it until after my blood test.

Well I just got back from the docs and I didn't get it.

Basically in England a standard doctor can't prescribe it, only a qualified dermatologist at a hospital can.

The doc wrote a referral letter in front of me and will send it to the hospital to get me an appointment. With the current NHS in England that could take a looong time. I am going to give it one month and then if I haven't heard back from them I will just buy it off the net and get my local doc to do the blood work.

Guess I will have to go back down the natural route again to get my skin sorted in the mean time. I will have to come off all the supplements and eat all the bad foods so my skin is bad for my appointment otherwise they will deny me.

I'm sort of in the same position as you. I can't see a derm. til February. I know it sucks. sad.gif

Did you try probiotics while you were on antibiotics?