Notifications
Clear all

What Nutrient Deficiencies Can Lead To (Or Worsen) Indented Scars?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 06/21/2012 10:06 am

I know that acne is a complex disorder that can arise from different causes. But I suspect that the cause of scarring may be more of a common denominator for many, if not most, people. That is, many of us might suffer from the same (or some of the same) nutrient deficiencies.

Has anyone discussed such details with your dermatologist (or GP, nutritionist, etc.)? I'm curious to know what you may have heard/read about the subject of scarring being caused (or worsened) by nutrient deficiencies--and of strengthening the skin with nutritional supplements.

I want to add that when I told my dermatology physician assistant that taking Vitamin C helps reduce my red marks faster, she seemed surprised; I have the impression that she's completely unfamiliar with nutrients' effects on the skin.

P.I.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 06/21/2012 11:22 am

The longer a wound takes to heal, the more chance of it scarring, so vitamins for wound healing are important, the ones I can recall are Vitamin C, Zinc, Vitamin A, Vitamin D and Vitamin b1 through 6

I have this which might be of interest to you; http://www.nottingha...ition/index.php

I want to clarify why I started this thread.

I've had moderate acne since I was 10 years old. When I reached my early 20's, I developed cysts and nodules, which seemed doubly unfair because I'd gotten my acne under better control between the ages of 18 and 22. (I only developed a very minor indented scar on my right cheek from post-inflammation when I was 19.)

I only suffered two scars from cystic acne between the ages of 22 and 24. One is a rather deep saucer-shaped scar on my left cheekbone area; the other is a minor scar that's hidden by my bangs just below my hairline. When I look back on how many nodules I once had at one time, I'm shocked that I didn't suffer worse scarring--which is why I started wondering what changed about my skin's resiliency between then and now.

In the past four years', I've slowly developed more scarring. (I'm now 36.) It's been psychologically/emotionally rough to come to terms that my skin could scar more now, after all these years' worth of acne.

I know that Vit. C has anti-inflammatory properties, which is why it helps reduce the redness of my old breakouts. (My red marks aren't 100% gone or anything, but their redness definitely lessens when I take Vit. C on a daily basis.)

I also know that I'm nearly deficient in Vit. B12. (I went for shots once, and they didn't seem to have any effect on my near-deficiency. Ugh...) I want to find a good-quality Vit. B supplement, but I worry about how little of it I'll be able to absorb, since I know I have an absorption issue.

Zinc, Vit. A and Vit. D I'd likely plan to get from a good multi-vitamin. I can't take zinc by itself; it always upsets my stomach--even the smallest dosage possible.

Thank you for providing a link to that site, which I will check out very shortly.

P.I.

MemberMember
(@moonchild11)

Posted : 05/16/2014 3:48 pm

The fact that you are developing more scarring now may have to do with the fact that you are 36 and collagen decreases with age. However, it does seem to make sense that the efficiency with which you absorb nutrients (and whether you are absorbing enough of the right ones) would have an effect on your skin's resiliancy in terms of whether it develops scars. I really hope this would be true. I think it would also have a lot to do with your immune system and the extent of the inflammation (both of which are improved with certain foods).

I think optimizing your digestive health would be the best bet, and eating a balanced diet; ensuring 1-3 bowel movements a day, drinking 8-10 glasses a day, having 50-75 percent of your diet brightly colored and varied fruits and veggies, and getting adequate protien, since that is what cells are made of.

I recently developed what I think may be indented scars (the hyperpigmentation makes it hard to tell for sure). But my dermatologist says they can fill in on their own over time (maybe not 100%), so I am hoping that optimal nutrient absorbtion (along with exercise, sleep, stress reduction) will greatly improve the chances of them being virtually unnoticeable someday.

Maybe I have this all wrong because these problems exist in the first place for me, but this is what inuition tells me and I hope it works for people.

I wonder of taking a silica suppliment could help?