Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stvq

Forehead Scarring?

I've been lurking on these forums as a guest for quite some time, but I figured I may as well make an account and ask for advice. I have mild-moderate acne, have had it since I was 17 or so (22 now), and I never really let it get the best of me until recently. (I really wish I would grow out of it, with every added year it becomes more frustrating) I managed to keep it more or less under control with salicylic acid for a while, then switched to Acne plus in January because I wanted to get completely clear(Benzol peroxide + miconazole nitrate).

I absolutely regret having tried BP, sure it cleared my acne in +- 4 weeks, but from 8 weeks or so onward I started noticing a significant change in my skin texture. (I used it mainly on the forehead and around my nose) I could have sworn my forehead was a lot more smooth, now its texture looks horrible. BP also turned my skin very oily, when before I had a more of a dry skin type. I quit BP about 8 weeks in and its been +- 6 months now with no improvement. (So it's starting to look like it may just be permanent??)

Pictures included in attachment (Afting washing my face, I think it looks as its worst then)

Accoring to my doctor, this is scarring, but should clear itself up over time (I.e I wouldn't need any serious skin correction treatments), but needless to say I'm really bummed about it. My doctor is also no dermatlogist, so I'm sure she could be wrong as well. What do you guys think? I really can't believe it would have scarred this bad, I never had any cystic acne and I rarely ever picked at my whiteheads etc. It also looks like there's a bunch of fine lines and lots of pores visible, almost as if there's a layer of my skin missing.

Would really like some help, I'm normally not the guy who lets these kind of things bother him, but the fear of this being permanent has really hit my confidence like a truck. I'm currently on Differin to control my acne, secretly hoping it will also improve the texture a bit, though I'm only several weeks in so it's impossible to judge just yet.

Thanks

Edited by Stvq

There is a lot of redness so it's hard to tell if some of that is hyperpigmentation from acne or if your skin is just very irritated from overtreatment. Does it itch at all, feel irritated or sensitive? I don't think it's worth trying anything until your skin has calmed down.

Pores and lines always look worse when you have irritated skin and redness.

You'll get more responses and feedback if you post your pictures to acne.org and not send people off of the site, especially a site full of advertisements and tracking cookies.

Regarding your forehead, it's hard to tell if you have scars or texture & pigmentation issues. Based on your photos and comments about your acne/treatment, I think your skin is more irritated right now. Like staple said, give your skin time to calm down. In the meantime, be gentle on your skin. Use a good moisturizer and sunblock when outdoors.

I see some scarring,

But it is so minimal i dont think people would notice it, but if it really does bother you still, you can try getting Fractional Co2 laser resurfacing. You can either try the Deep FX or Fraxel RePair. After 1 treatment your scarring should vanish for the most part, but that is because your scarring is very light. Good luck!

Does it itch at all, feel irritated or sensitive? I don't think it's worth trying anything until your skin has calmed down.

It only feels a little irritated after washing generally.

You'll get more responses and feedback if you post your pictures to acne.org and not send people off of the site, especially a site full of advertisements and tracking cookies.
Sorry about that! I changed the OP and added the pictures in attachment.
But it is so minimal i dont think people would notice it

In daylight I think you can clearly see the 'texture problem', i.e my skin doesn't look entirely smooth. I suppose I may just be really hard on myself, but I can't stand looking at myself in mirrors or windows up close, because of how apparent those big pores/lines or whatever it is look to me. sad.png (And I really haven't had anything like it before in all those years of suffering acne, which is kind of what freaked me out)

I'll give it some time then, hopefully the differin manages to calm my skin down the next couple of months. Is there anything particular I need to look out for in a moisterizer? I currently use the ''Effaclar H Compensating Soothing Moisturizer', but I don't really notice whether or not it's helping since my skin is more oily than dry at the moment.

Anyway thanks a lot, guys! Really appreciate it

Edited by Stvq

I see some scarring,

But it is so minimal i dont think people would notice it, but if it really does bother you still, you can try getting Fractional Co2 laser resurfacing. You can either try the Deep FX or Fraxel RePair. After 1 treatment your scarring should vanish for the most part, but that is because your scarring is very light. Good luck!

I agree, I have found that skin that covers bone is the easiest to treat. One of the scars that showed me Re:pair was working was a non-acne scar, and I could pinpoint its location.

Is there anything particular I need to look out for in a moisterizer? I currently use the ''Effaclar H Compensating Soothing Moisturizer', but I don't really notice whether or not it's helping since my skin is more oily than dry at the moment.

Unless it's definitely not moisturizing enough, it's better to stick with what you are using because switching could make things worse and it will take some time to patch test.

If your face feels irritated after washing though, consider patch testing a gentler cleanser, particularly if you are using a foaming wash or anything with microbeads. I have combo/oily skin and found creamy cleansers like cerave hydrating or cetaphil made a huge difference in irritation.

I see some scarring,

I agree, I have found that skin that covers bone is the easiest to treat. One of the scars that showed me Re:pair was working was a non-acne scar, and I could pinpoint its location.

It might have something to do with the skin not being as thick. with a thinner epidermis and dermis the laser can easily penetrate deep down in the dermis to repair all damage.

I was kinda fortunate to have absolutely no forehead scarring, but 99% of mine are on my "thicker" cheeks.

I see some scarring,

It might have something to do with the skin not being as thick. with a thinner epidermis and dermis the laser can easily penetrate deep down in the dermis to repair all damage.

I was kinda fortunate to have absolutely no forehead scarring, but 99% of mine are on my "thicker" cheeks.

If Re:pair does penetrate to 1.4mm I find it hard to believe that any skin on the face would be thicker than that. I keep looking at the ruler.