Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FSAS

At What Age Does Your Skin Start To Fail At Healing Well?

to be honest my biggest worry right now (as I've accepting I may have acne for many years to come and I'm POSITIVE I will get acne once completely off spiro and when i'm off birth control (dear god -_- my face is horrible on it it's hard to think of my face OFF it).

But I just want to know what age it is skin fails to heal as good. I'm 20 years now but I sadly want to spend as long as I can on diane (if I'm allowed) for obvious reasons but I worry that my skin may never heal properly as I grow older, luckily it heals pretty good now.

Can someone tell me what age it is that it begins to really slow healing? like is it in the 20s or 30s or mainly more 40s type thing?

thanks

You're right, you will get acne again once you get off hormonal treatments...neither BC or spiro make permanent changes to your hormones. But why would you get off spiro? People have been on that stuff for decades. As long as your potassium levels are fine, you could stay on it and be acne-free for a long time.

I would say I noticed my skin stopped healing so fast around 21. I really started getting long lasting dark marks around that time. And it just goes downhill.

Depends on the person. I noticed my skin really changed in my 50's. But I've struggled with acne into my 60's now mainly due to early attempts to go natural and off all traditional meds. This just caused the acne to flare up. Terrible cycle. But all these acne topicals over the years have kept my skin really young looking!

Anyway, I also take Spiro...love it. My old derm wanted to try me without it starting in Dec of last year. BIG MISTAKE. What a mess. I was so sad. Couldn't stand it. My new derm has put me back on spiro and the other meds below.

I'm currently in a minor flare-up (started 2 days ago) because I forgot to take my Spiro regularly...my skin was absolutely clear and I was out doing summer stuff. When will I learn????

Edited by cvd

You're right, you will get acne again once you get off hormonal treatments...neither BC or spiro make permanent changes to your hormones. But why would you get off spiro? People have been on that stuff for decades. As long as your potassium levels are fine, you could stay on it and be acne-free for a long time.

I would say I noticed my skin stopped healing so fast around 21. I really started getting long lasting dark marks around that time. And it just goes downhill.

im actually certain my doc wont let me continue and i've read many times for people that long term use isnt good but if anymore more often than not it just stops working after a year or two (i gave myself a break..helloooo acne).

but i know the bcp is going to affect me greatly (considering my face already :/) so i'm trying to avoid spiro for now and SEE if I can get some sort of clear skin whilst on the pill (but its been 2 years on diane specifically so i wont count on it) but figured when i get off the pill thats when i'll really get back into spiro.

scared either way, its hard to look forward to anything

but yeah 21 isnt too old :/ worried, thats my age basically. what diet do you eat? surely diet would play a role on how fast skin heals?

Depends on the person. I noticed my skin really changed in my 50's. But I've struggled with acne into my 60's now mainly due to early attempts to go natural and off all traditional meds. This just caused the acne to flare up. Terrible cycle. But all these acne topicals over the years have kept my skin really young looking!

Anyway, I also take Spiro...love it. My old derm wanted to try me without it starting in Dec of last year. BIG MISTAKE. What a mess. I was so sad. Couldn't stand it. My new derm has put me back on spiro and the other meds below.

I'm currently in a minor flare-up (started 2 days ago) because I forgot to take my Spiro regularly...my skin was absolutely clear and I was out doing summer stuff. When will I learn????

(i mentioned a bit about spiro in the above quote here).

how old are you do you mind me asking? :)

how long have you been on spiro for?

[quote>

im actually certain my doc wont let me continue and i've read many times for people that long term use isnt good but if anymore more often than not it just stops working after a year or two (i gave myself a break..helloooo acne).

but i know the bcp is going to affect me greatly (considering my face already :/) so i'm trying to avoid spiro for now and SEE if I can get some sort of clear skin whilst on the pill (but its been 2 years on diane specifically so i wont count on it) but figured when i get off the pill thats when i'll really get back into spiro.

but yeah 21 isnt too old :/ worried, thats my age basically. what diet do you eat? surely diet would play a role on how fast skin heals?

Not to contradict you, but there have been several studies that indicate spironolactone is fairly safe for long-term use. It certainly has less reported effects than birth control. Spiro is SO mild on the body compared to birth control. It shouldn't stop working unless your hormone levels also spike dramatically, in which case you would need to increase your dose. If my doc took me off of it, I would find a new one. Seriously, a decade of acne has proven that my acne is hormonal and that as soon as hormonal treatment stops, my acne returns. There is NO GOOD reason to take me off of it since my body's natural inclination is to fill my face with pus!

The long-term use of spironolactone to treat acne in women appears to be safe, according to results of a long-term study. Dr Shaw and Dr White completed this study of 91 women who were followed for up to 8 years.

Initially, 210 patients were sent a survey questionnaire. In all, 91 completed surveys were put forward for analysis, representing 506 person-years of follow up and 200 person-years of spironolactone exposure. The mean treatment time was 28.5 months (range 0.5 to 122 months).

The researchers say, "During the 8-year follow up period, there were no cases of serious illness attributable to spironolactone use"

and an anecdotal forum post

I have been on spiro since I was 18 and now I'm 33 and I have never had any issues with it

Could find more but don't have the time smile.png

Unless you are in the 2% of the population that can't tolerate it or your dose is too high for your weight...you really should be fine using it long-term.

As far as diet, my mom is a sort of a granola, so all growing up I ate very natural. Probably healthier than anyone I knew. Vegetables, fruits, whole legumes, moderate amounts of meat and plant protein. Similar to what people call the paleo diet now. I'm not saying my skin looked like a grandma at age 21, but I did notice it didn't bounce back quite as fast. Really the prime of your life as far as skin goes is 15-16. Most kids are full grown by then and their skin is as perfect as it's ever going to be.

Diet will affect your overall health, but it can't overcome the fact that after a certain age, your genetics fail you. One of the world's most famous "anti-aging" diet leaders just died of heart disease and looked like a living corpse. Genetics > diet, everytime.

Edited by Green Gables

[quote>

Not to contradict you, but there have been several studies that indicate spironolactone is fairly safe for long-term use. It certainly has less reported effects than birth control. Spiro is SO mild on the body compared to birth control. It shouldn't stop working unless your hormone levels also spike dramatically, in which case you would need to increase your dose. If my doc took me off of it, I would find a new one. Seriously, a decade of acne has proven that my acne is hormonal and that as soon as hormonal treatment stops, my acne returns. There is NO GOOD reason to take me off of it since my body's natural inclination is to fill my face with pus!

The long-term use of spironolactone to treat acne in women appears to be safe, according to results of a long-term study. Dr Shaw and Dr White completed this study of 91 women who were followed for up to 8 years.

Initially, 210 patients were sent a survey questionnaire. In all, 91 completed surveys were put forward for analysis, representing 506 person-years of follow up and 200 person-years of spironolactone exposure. The mean treatment time was 28.5 months (range 0.5 to 122 months).

The researchers say, "During the 8-year follow up period, there were no cases of serious illness attributable to spironolactone use"

and an anecdotal forum post

I have been on spiro since I was 18 and now I'm 33 and I have never had any issues with it

Could find more but don't have the time smile.png

Unless you are in the 2% of the population that can't tolerate it or your dose is too high for your weight...you really should be fine using it long-term.

As far as diet, my mom is a sort of a granola, so all growing up I ate very natural. Probably healthier than anyone I knew. Vegetables, fruits, whole legumes, moderate amounts of meat and plant protein. Similar to what people call the paleo diet now. I'm not saying my skin looked like a grandma at age 21, but I did notice it didn't bounce back quite as fast. Really the prime of your life as far as skin goes is 15-16. Most kids are full grown by then and their skin is as perfect as it's ever going to be.

Diet will affect your overall health, but it can't overcome the fact that after a certain age, your genetics fail you. One of the world's most famous "anti-aging" diet leaders just died of heart disease and looked like a living corpse. Genetics > diet, everytime.

no definitely not a contradiction indeed, thankyou haha, I like good news like long term spiro use (i had livable skin on 25mg). so hopefully i can arm myself with studies for long term use when i go to the dreaded docs on my last few pills of it.

ugh i KNOW how you feel. I've lived an incredibly healthy lifestyle my whole life very abnormal to most too, I havent even had dairy for years and literall havnt had soda since I was 8 (im not even kidding i hate it). even throughout highschool i was alway the on with the salad sandwhich (even with sweet potato) on very sepcific bread, apple in hand, like i was considered the boring one OF COURSE this acne had to happen to me out of all those junk eaters :/

but yeah the reason why I feel like i've personally done something to induce adult acne is, I'm an identical twin as indentical as they get in every which way and its important for me to stress how alike we are, had the same friends, had the stress levels literally ate the same food, we had the same thoughts I could basically read her mind .. it was really scary and insane. we both got our periods at the same time too. The thing is she got teenage acne at 16 years old and ended well before 18. I never had a pimple in my life. end of 18 i was hit with the adult acne stick, im 20 now and NOTHING has helped and to take note i have never used antibiotics, no chemicals whatso ever i dont even use chemical toothpaste shampoo etc etc.

I could go on and on. we're both on the same birth control also. Her face is amazing and mine is hideious and if this were that genetic her face would be like mine also. (keeping not no family has acne only me, and i think just one uncle on my dads side had acne). point is, i must have done something to trigger this acne (epigenetics?...dunno if you can un-trigger it)... much like one can trigger things like schizophrenia by chorinc stress if pre-disposed.

the only obvious difference between my sister and I was that one year I decided to drink a lot, smoke lead a life like that when she still hadnt even touched alcohol (has now though) but yes so i believed it must have been a liver issue perhaps or stress from nights out, lack of proper food, lack of sleep etc that triggered this acne. yet 2 years of the best eating possible, sleep,exercise, healing oils, liver supplements, probiotics etc etc hasnt done a thing.

in fact everything i have done has never even affected me good OR bad. so im just stuck like never before because my acne is very much there. most so on my chin/around mouth/jaw and forehead so yeah ive lost hope in diet..because ater two year including an elimination diet period of time including jucing every day and such extreme lifestyle change its hard to believe that that stuff can really affect me for the better. which is annoying as all hell because im still a human with a human body, if what we put in our body is suppose to affect us how come my hormones are causing this acne when ideally i should have amazing skin >.>

sorry for the ramble but i've pretty much accepted i'll have acne forever ...anti-angrogens definitely help though so im putting faith in the topical thats being trialed at the moment from androscience. but god knows how long that might go on for.

thanks for your spiro info. sadly im on birth control honestly mainly for the obvious purpose of ..well birth control. i HATE how doctors just give this deadly pill out to woman, 14 year old girls without the warnings. docs seriously just dont even know i bet.

anyway again, rambling.

i am curious about your acne though and things you've tried? :) or even if you had it as a teen? god i wish i had acne as a teen and it just would go away. adult acne is so horrible. mostly, honestly because other adults dont even understand that acne is not just for teens and its not just a pile up of dirt on the face :S i wish.

At the age of 21.. acne slowly started to spread through my face and now is leaving scars and severe hyperigmentation all over my body.

Hey, FSAS do you get the same amount of sun as your twin?

I should mention that my acne always clears up some when I get more sun. I had a vitamin D blood test run and I was pretty low. I get moderate sun exposure alread, so I'm trying to supplement 10,000 IU vitamin D-3 a day to get my serum levels up.