Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PittyWoman

Will Treating My Rash With Finacea Make The Indented Scar Underneath Worse?

Ok sooooo my worst scar is my indented nose scar right on the tip of my nose. It's my personal black hole of hell. To make matters worse, I have a small reddish unknown rash right over it that started right after I stupidly peeled some skin off that area. Each year it gets worse (particularly in the summer) and burns every so often like a freshly scraped knee. Sometimes at night it actually throbs. The area around it appears swollen so that makes the scar look way worse.

One doctor thought the rash might be rosacea another thought it was perioral dermatitits. It's in a very small area, like radiating out from my scar, and it's only confined to my nose. I don't have any redness or burning anywhere else. I don't know what it is but I don't want to put anything on there that will make my underlying scar worse.

Anyway my derm prescribed Finacea and I don't know much about stuff like this, forgive my ignorance...I hear bad things about Accutane or Retin-A? causing scarring and the last thing I want to do is make my scar even bigger. But I do want to relieve the burning and the swelling. Will putting Finacea on this rash affect my scar at all?

Finacea is just azeleic acid, 15% I believe. It wont do anything to your scar since it does not penetrate into the dermis in significant levels. It is used to treat rosacea, along with hyperpigmentation issues. I dont see it doing anything to your scar besides making it itch. Just be aware that anywhere you apply the gel you will see reduced pigment.

Finacea is just azeleic acid, 15% I believe. It wont do anything to your scar since it does not penetrate into the dermis in significant levels. It is used to treat rosacea, along with hyperpigmentation issues. I dont see it doing anything to your scar besides making it itch. Just be aware that anywhere you apply the gel you will see reduced pigment.

Thanks SoontobeMD. Like reduced pigment forever? Or just temporarily?

Thanks SoontobeMD. Like reduced pigment forever? Or just temporarily?

It will hardly depigment normally pigmented areas, and will mainly work on hyperpigmented areas, so the chances of you having noticable hypopigmentation are already slim, and it will be temporarily depigmented, not permanently.

Thanks, that's good to know.

While azelaic acid is different than hydroquinone in that it primarily works on hyperactive melanocytes, the fact is that EVERYONE of normal pigment has a tan of some sort, even if minor. This is especially true for darker complexions. I do not know what type of complexion you have, but any tan that you have will be removed where you place azelaic acid. It is temporary, but this may influence where you apply the gel. It is best to apply it to either a particular spot with an applicator, or evenly across your face.

I have an olive complexion though it's red where that rash is. I have another question. The most recent damage to this scar is a year old. Will putting Finacea impede any other healing this scar was going to do?

(in a related vein I wonder if my scar is even that bad at all and maybe it's just this rash causing swollen skin around two fused pores making it gigantic looking for the past 4 years, if that's even possible?)

Edited by PittyWoman

Ok, I rubbed on a layer of Finacea, not expecting much. saywhat.gif Holy crap, within a few minutes that swollen area went completely down! I should explain that my nose tip scar is like 2 fused pores underneath a big boxcar. The fused pores came first, then came the boxcar after I stupidly peeled off a layer of skin. After applying the Finacea, It looked like it did when it was just two fused pores without the larger boxcar indent around it. The shadowy horrible hole was gone!! But I'm a skeptical person so, to make sure the Finacea wasn't just filling it in like spackle, I also applied some on a different scar, an old nose ring scar which healed terribly and is super deep and shows up on every photo (yet strangely doesn't bug me at all) and it had no effect on it.

So, I'm starting to think my most hated nose tip hole scar which tormented me for 4 years is really just swollen skin, Rosacea or something else puffing the area around some tiny fused pores. I can totally live with some measly fused pores on my nose! I washed the Finacea off cause it was sort of stinging my old nose ring hole and poof! The scar went back to its normal giant hole state. If anything, it looks even more shiny and swollen.

So what happened? Do I have a giant hole in my nose that the Finacea somehow disguised momentarily, or is my scar in fact just swelling around some fused pores that the Finacea reduced? Needless to say I'm going to put it back on tomorrow because wow, it looked great!

Edited by PittyWoman

In my mind, after I applied the Finacea, the swelling around the scar immediately went down making it look better. Isn't it supposed to reduce swelling? I'm gonna call my Derm on my Monday and tell her what happened, maybe I'll even give her a demonstration. Or what could have happened I suppose, is that the Finacea made the whole scar swell as part of an allergic reaction and made it level with the rest of the skin.

I hope it's the former, reducing swelling and not the latter making more swelling, cuz seriously, it looks like 100% better. It's also less red around the tip. Also, my husband said the end of my nose looked visibly smaller after I applied it. And he's way more nonchalant about scars/skin stuff than I am. He has a bunch of icepick scar on his nose too and he could care less about them. In any event, I'm gonna call/go in there on Monday. I want to understand what's happening and you know it does seem too good to be true but hey, it'd be great if it was!

Edited by PittyWoman

Sorry, I guess I read through your post too fast. I read it as if it caused a different kind of swelling that disguised your scar. I have no idea. I would ask my doctor. That is weird though.

You described it as a rash. Has your derm tested to see if maybe it's a fungus? Many fungal infections worsen in the summer with humidity etc. and often are red rashes when they are on the face. While you are are explaining the results to your derm, you might want to bring up the possibility, if only to eliminate it.

Here's an update on the Finacea...the awesome part where it made my scar look better stopped and now the area is back to it's normal swollen state. Darn it! It looked so good for a moment!!! And it's burning more than normal. brow.gif

You described it as a rash. Has your derm tested to see if maybe it's a fungus? Many fungal infections worsen in the summer with humidity etc. and often are red rashes when they are on the face. While you are are explaining the results to your derm, you might want to bring up the possibility, if only to eliminate it.

Funny you should mention that because I do have a theory that it's a fungus also! I didn't know fungal infections got worse in the summer, I thought that just happened with Rosacea. My nose is worse in the summer definitely! This would actually make perfect sense since (ok, warning this is gross) I've had untreated Athlete's foot for like a really, really long time (like, really long sick.gif) and maybe I touched it and then scratched my nose. Also this swelling occurred right after i had accidentally peeled skin away from the area and I know athlete's foot loves to get in when the skin is broken! I actually thought of it last night as I lay in bed, my nose was throbbing and so were my feet! I've heard athlete's foot can go to other areas so maybe that's what's happening. Athlete's nose!

Ok, the reason I left my athlete's foot untreated for so long is for a long time was really opposed to treating anything with chemicals. I have tried unsuccessfully to treat it naturally a bunch of times....but well, now that I'm putting Finacea on my face, what the heck, I might as well put chemicals on my feet too. Something on my feet was easy to ignore since it wasn't that bad, but when it comes to my face that's a different story. I'm going to tell my derm my theory. I wonder if athlete's foot medicine is safe for one's face? I wouldn't do it unless she said it was ok.

If it turns out to be "Athlete's Nose" I'm going to jump for joy! I'm sick of not knowing what it is and this burning sensation. Plus it would be a cool story: "I had Athlete's foot on my nose, man."

Edited by PittyWoman

It's pretty easy to test for fungal infection, he just needs a little scraping of the dead skin from the rash. I definitely would not try athlete's foot medication on it because fungi are not things you want to mess around with, especially if inflamed.

Finacea has antifungal properties so if it is a fungus he may have you stick to that. More likely he'll put you on an Rx anti-fungal cream for both and maybe have you wash your feet and nose with nizoral shampoo. It's pretty no fuss and effective. I hope that's what it is too, just so you can get some relief! Good luck!

It's pretty easy to test for fungal infection, he just needs a little scraping of the dead skin from the rash. I definitely would not try athlete's foot medication on it because fungi are not things you want to mess around with, especially if inflamed.

Finacea has antifungal properties so if it is a fungus he may have you stick to that. More likely he'll put you on an Rx anti-fungal cream for both and maybe have you wash your feet and nose with nizoral shampoo. It's pretty no fuss and effective. I hope that's what it is too, just so you can get some relief! Good luck!

Thanks you so much for the advice I really appreciate it. I don't think I'd want any scraping on the rash though...I have a big ident scar on the tip of my nose already that torments me and I wouldn't want any other injury there that could possibly result in scarring...maybe we'd have to just do a trial and error on it and leave it at that. Maybe it's not that invasive though? It's not like a biopsy right?

Yeah I did read Finacea has some anti-fungal properties- I think I'm going in there tomorrow so I'll tell you what she says.

Maybe it's not that invasive though? It's not like a biopsy right?

Nah, it's usually just like a qtip rub, but they probably don't even have to do that if it's irritated. Good luck!

Maybe it's not that invasive though? It's not like a biopsy right?

Nah, it's usually just like a qtip rub, but they probably don't even have to do that if it's irritated. Good luck!

Thanks! I just read something online that fungal infections on the face show up as a circle and that's pretty much what it is. It would be so great to solve this mystery and maybe even when the swelling goes down my scar won't look so huge!

Went to the derm today and she prescribed me the generic form of Nizoral, but as a cream. She said I could put it on my feet and my nose. And it wouldn't hurt anything. I have to do this for three weeks. She said I should use a sunblock over the cream on my nose since she could see it was inflamed and sun exposure makes inflammation worse. We'll see what happens. She's not really sure what it is, but I'd rather rule out a fungal infection than take Oracea which was making me dizzy or Finacea which seemed to be increasing the burning. I know that the burning effect of Finacea supposedly goes away later, but I'd just like to rule out fungal first.

Edited by PittyWoman

Hopefully that's what it is and at least you'll have your athlete's foot squared away too. Good luck and please continue posting and let us know how you are doing.

The medicine is called "Ketoconazole 2% cream 30GM" and I'm putting it on tonight. If it doesn't work for my nose, we'll try something else.

Be consistent with it for the whole duration (and i would change your towel daily). Fungal infections can be VERY stubborn and tend to recur in people who are susceptible to them. As the doctor mentioned, even if it's not a fungus, the ketoconazole shouldn't harm anything if applied topically.

Ok I was really excited to start putting on the ketoconazole cream but then I saw there's a lot of warnings that say it may damage my liver?! I don't have any prior history of liver problems or anything but yikes. That's a bit scary, just to treat athlete's foot & "athlete's nose"- is there a safer antifungal cream out there or do all prescription antifungals carry that risk? Argh I feel like I'm so close to treating this thing. I have been slathering both areas with coconut oil which I know is a natural antifungal but I wanted to really just nuke that fungus (if that's what it is on my nose) out of existence. But not at a cost to my liver!

Topical ketoconazole has almost no absorption into the body unless you put it in a mucous membrane (like you're applying it directly into your eyes). If you read the literature, the incidence of absorption is almost nothing topically. Just don't put it in your mouth or eyes and make certain to wash your hands well after. (This is one of the reasons why you should change your towel daily during treatment, so you don't leave trace dead skin with fungus/medication on them). ORAL ketoconazole is the form that causes liver damage, the doctor must warn you of that risk if you are put on nizoral pills. Even then, many people take the oral form for shortcourses and they are fine. It's also available in nizoral dandruff shampoos which many people use weekly for years with no harm. So long as it's used as directed and not ingested the danger is minimal.

Ketoconazole is a pretty standard treatment. There are many things that are stronger and more dangerous but not really anything that is weaker and as effective. The problem with many natural treatments is that they make things a little better, but not really, then the problem recurs right away. With this treatment, if you do as directed diligently for the 3 weeks, you'll be cured. You should do some googling and talk to you doctor if you're still concerned. You are paying them for a reason after all.

Topical ketoconazole has almost no absorption into the body unless you put it in a mucous membrane (like you're applying it directly into your eyes). If you read the literature, the incidence of absorption is almost nothing topically. Just don't put it in your mouth or eyes and make certain to wash your hands well after. (This is one of the reasons why you should change your towel daily during treatment, so you don't leave trace dead skin with fungus/medication on them). ORAL ketoconazole is the form that causes liver damage, the doctor must warn you of that risk if you are put on nizoral pills. Even then, many people take the oral form for shortcourses and they are fine. It's also available in nizoral dandruff shampoos which many people use weekly for years with no harm. So long as it's used as directed and not ingested the danger is minimal.

Ketoconazole is a pretty standard treatment. There are many things that are stronger and more dangerous but not really anything that is weaker and as effective. The problem with many natural treatments is that they make things a little better, but not really, then the problem recurs right away. With this treatment, if you do as directed diligently for the 3 weeks, you'll be cured. You should do some googling and talk to you doctor if you're still concerned. You are paying them for a reason after all.

Yeah most of the warnings I saw online were for the pill form but the little sheet that came with the box did say there was a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting Hepatitis which is scary. I'm gonna call my derm today. Thanks Staple, I really do appreciate all your help with my fungi!!

I'm also going to go on an anti fungal diet the same duration as my treatment to really just get rid of it. Like non-starchy veggies, meats, whole grains and no sugar, no beer arggh! eusa_boohoo.gif , chocolate etc. I was meaning to eat better anyway at it's only for 3 weeks.