Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sapphire

My Dermabrasion experience...

My dermabrasion was 9/15/04. It was with the wheel, not wire. I had both cheeks done. It was done by James Carey MD. He is a PS in Cincinnati, OH.

My history: I have been to 5 PS in the past 1 1/2 years. I've had Cool Touch II, microderm, IPL, needling, peels, and filler inj. I have mild-mod scarring rolling with the exception of one mod-deep boxcar. I've searched, tried and researched various treatments. After trying several conservative/non-invasive things I came to the conclusion I needed some form of resurfacing. Options being, laser, peels, or dermabrasion. My conclusion was to go with dermabrasion. I wanted to find a Dr. in my area that did derm.--there aren't many. I saw 2 different Dr's that did dermabrasions. I felt very comfortable with Dr. Carey. He's experienced and knowledgeable. I did not rule out the idea of going to Dr Y in NO. Travelling to NO and spending $$$$ wasn't going to work for me at this time. I did NOT select my Dr. based on geography, or cost. I selected my Dr. because I felt very comfortable that I was making the right decison based on the facts given to me.

Before the procedure: Took antibiotic and anti-viral med. Need to take for 5 days beginning day of surgery. Used Retin A 0.05% nightly for several months prior.

The procedure, done at the OR in his office: I was given Xylocaine with Epi injections to numb my cheeks- a sharp pinch and burning sensation. Not sure how many cc's but my face was quite puffy from the inj! Makes you feel jittery for a little while too (epinepherine), but it wears off. My hair and face were placed under drapes and wet gauze over my eyes. My skin was prepped with Betadine soluiton. The dermabrasion began... The wheel was used, and passes were made across my cheeks, at times he asked the nurse reverse it -the direction the wheel would spin, my guess... He went around my largest boxcar more than other areas. When the wheel went across my cheeks at times I would feel a slight sting/burning type sensation. No Pain! After the derm, they cleaned my face and applied antibiotic ointment. I was given pain med prescription prior, but never got it filled.

Time and Cost: 1 hour; $800

After the procedure: I was quite swollen that day due to all the Xylocaine. Numbness wore off after 2-3 hours. Only very slight discomfort! For the 1st 3 days alot of oozing. By day 3- 4 pink skin began to appear and alot of the abraded skin sloughs off. I was instructed to wash twice a day with a mild soap. It was sore to wash for the first 3 days, or so. I used Dove foaming cleanser, unscented, sensitive skin. Kept areas very moist with A&D ointment. My Dr rec. using vaseline, Prep H, Crisco, or A&D. You must keep the areas moist until all skin sloughs off. I still have 1 tiny area above scar that is still healing. I'm 13 days post today. Currently I can go back on all of my normal skin care products. I'm still using the Dove cleanser, also- Nuetragena alcohol free toner, Dermesse bleaching cream, Kinerase, CP serum, lotion and sunscreen. Will gradually go back on Retin A in a week, or so.

Pictures: My husband is taking photos and I hope they turn out, if so, I will post them. Not sure when that will be though...Sorry!

My opinion: I am glad I had the dermabrasion done! It wasn't bad at all. I have seen improvement. It has only been 13 days ago, so I'm cautious about being too premature in my judgement. It did not erase my scars, but some of the mild-mod rolling ones are alot less noticeable, and flatter. Some mild ones are gone. The larger boxcar is still there and the rim/borders have been re-contoured so it doesn't have that jagged-deep look. Overall skin is much smoother! I will post updates as time goes by.

Feel free to ask any ?'s biggrin.gif Sapphire

Awesome....... I'm so happy for you. Hope you keep healing up well.

Would love to see pics of the wheel method so I hope you can get them up here when you get the time.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I am 2 1/2 weeks post dermabrasion. I have been healing pretty well. I am still pink with some darker pink areas. Overall my skin is much smoother. Some of the scars seem to have less depth than previous. I hope those areas will fill in more with time. I'll keep udating and hopefully can get some pics posted.

Update...

It has been 4 weeks since my derm. Since my last post I have been battling with some breakouts mad.gif My Dr. aid this is normal--from loading all that ointment, lotions etc. pores have been clogged. I have been advised to spot treat. at some point they may do a peel to help. I'm really bummed out about it. With the breakouts, my focus has been on getting them cleared up, more so than the scars.

I'm cautious about putting any %, but I can definitely say there has been improvement! It's only been 1 month too. I'm happy I did it.

That's great and I'm very happy for you!

Just wondering, and I know you didn't want to, but what would be a ballpark % of improvement at this point?

Btw, don't worry about the break out, it'll go away. Hang in there.

OK............ I'll try to estimate a %, but don't hold me to it! smile.gif

At 1 month, I'd have to say approx 50%--and I would expect that once the breakouts clear up and my skin gets the normal color back it will be greater. I have 1 huge scar 1cm diameter which was quite deep --my biggest reason for having the derm done--the rim/borders around it have been diminshed quite a bit which was what I was hoping for.

What I would do different would be to have had only my left cheek done. The reason is that mostly all of my scars were there and I had the right done for symmetrical reasons. So, I feel my right side went thru the procedure unneccesarily, esp. since the breakouts have occurred.

Just got some photos developed yesterday. They turned out ok, not as good as I hoped. They were taken with 35 mm camera so they will have to be scanned somehow and I'll have to try and get them up here. I'm NOT at all very good with computers!

what's up sapphire?would you consider doing another dermabrasion at this point?I hope everything is getting better with ya.good luck!

colkurtz88 Posted Oct 16 2004, 04:40 PM

what's up sapphire?would you consider doing another dermabrasion at this point?I hope everything is getting better with ya.good luck!

Sapphire,

I am curious what your doctor said about only dermabrading one area of the face. I just had a consult with Dr. Y, and he usually recommends the entire face even if one area is needed because, as he says, the dermabraded skin takes on properties of skin ten years younger. In the future, especially as the ageing process continues, the skin that wasn't abraded could look a lot different. Just a thought and wondering what other doctors say about this....

The doctors I consulted with that recommended dermabrasion said it was fine to do only my cheeks. I don't see a big difference in the derm and non derm areas and I'm 5+ weeks out. The skin is still healing and gradually returning to normal. I had the wheel done, not the wire like Dry Y does. His version probably goes deeper so there could be more of a difference I suppose. I'd say it depends on one's overall skin condition. Mine is healthy, no wrinkles. I was concerned about this since I am 41, but really it was ok for me to have just done the cheeks.

Thanks so much for posting your pics! You really seem to have gotten some major improvement, unless the pics don't reflect the actual depth of the few scars that you have.

"The deepest of the pits you had in your before pic perhaps could have been excised before the abrasion or treated with a dermal filler then abraded but thats just my opinion, thats still an option for you if your not happy with the abrasion."

Meet Pete- I did talk to my Dr. about excision. My largest scar would have been like 1 1/4 inch long had he excised it-since it was so wide/deep. It also is in a very bad spot--not one where you could easily "hide" in a natural fold/line area. At some point I may have excision done because I think I'd prefer the linear scar to the "crater". It is definitely most obvious because of the contour. My PS didn't think it would be a better "trade" at this time. Could I be sure that a linear excision scar will be comletely flat-and normal skin level, no more indent???

As for fillers, I've had collagen and Restylane over the past 2 years. They only "plump" things up temporarily.

"Have you considered a permanent filler? or even fat transfer?"

As stated in my post right before yours...

"As for fillers, I've had collagen and Restylane over the past 2 years. They only "plump" things up temporarily."

Fillers are ok, but IMO they are a temporary fix to a permanent problem. So far, I like Restylane the best. But it doesn't really fill in the depression long enough.