Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My acne hell

After a month of constantly viewing this site I decided to join as my acne is just getting unbareable so here's my story, I'm 18 year old male and had I have always got the odd spots since I was 13, I am what people would describe as a pretty boy, ever since I can remember I have allways loved the way Iooked and I was one of the most confident people you would ever meet, the amount of compliments and girls I would have after me was of the scales, i have always had breakouts but I managed to keep them under control and they would eventually go, I recently turned 18 and got a job working in a bar 6 months in I woke up one morning looked in the mirror (as I do and had done since I can remember because I'm vain and always loved looking at myself) and my face dropped my whole face , neck , chest , back , arms , thighs , buttox were all coverd in acne my heart sunk I rang work and said I was sick so I could go doctors and hopefully it would clear up abit enough so I felt comfortable to go back to work, at this stage I couldn't even bare to leave the house because the embaresment and shame I felt eventually I built up the courage put my hood up and went doctors hoping I wouldn't see any one I knew as it would destroy me in side for any one to see me like this, the doctor said I had moderate acne and prescribed me tetralysal 2 weeks go bye and it just got worse I gave up all hope had to quit my job cut all contact with my mates just until this mess cleared up. I no it might sound silly to some peoe but to a teenager your image is everything , 3 weeks later it's just getting worse I haven't been out in over a month im so depressed even thought about topping myself as this is no life , I'm normally the life and sole of the party and this has destroyed my self confidence , I feel like a freak , you woudnt believe the impact of looking in the mirror for years and seeing yourself as a rele good looking person to looking at yourself and seeing an ugly discusting mess. Some people wont understand about me not leaving my house but I physically can't push myself to go through the humilation of people looking at me and thinking eww it just makes my heart sink , I'm currently on trimephorim spell mistake lol) and use savlon advanced healing gel as it's the only cream I've found that actually helps. Oh yeah I forgot to mention when I first went doctors he prescribed me with duac once daily this stuff ruind my life brang me up in over 200 closed comedones on my face my sister used this to and the same thing happend to her I reckon the duac clogs pores and turns them into comeodomes and the only way to get rid of them is to squeeze them and all this white smelly puss comes out and the Lump goes please people dont use duac you will regret it , I hope this clears up soon so I can get back to my fun life and am glad I found this site I read others storys and see the support people give on this group and think your all amazing. smile.png hope someone can cheer me up a bit or give me some advice thanks.

Hey, dude...I'm really sorry. My story is a little bit different because I had bad acne for almost a decade - got it bad at twelve and had it bad until 21, a round of Accutane and a total change of diet. I imagine it's horrible to have the switch flipped on you - from having confidence to feeling ruined. I haven't been there exactly, but I grew up with no confidence whatsoever because of my skin.

Don't give up. Different things work for different people and your acne is caused by SOMETHING. Once you pinpoint it, you can control it. Keep going to the derm, check out the holistic forum here on acne.org (tons of good advice there), and try to find things that make you happy. No, it isn't easy. I skipped more college classes than I'm proud of out of pure shame. Even now, being clear isn't easy, because I have to maintain a strict diet to do it. Some people get acne and it just sucks. But this board is wonderful and you will find a lot of support here. You're still young and if you dedicate yourself to finding your solution, you will.

Hang in there :)

Hey buddy I know exactly how you feel because I just recently went through it all.. My opinion it sounds like all the creams and prescriptions that you are getting is doing you more harm than any good. You said your acne came when you got a job at the bar? It could possibly the change of your lifestyle that caused it, too much alcohol, lack of sleep and a unhealthy diet?

Stop all the prescriptions and creams because obviously they ain't working.. I know its hard just to quit all those products cos you think that its gonna make your acne worse by not treating it, I had this mindset back then too. But once I stopped all the products my face looked more clear and calm, I would recommend just washing your face with water OR if you are too afraid of that just use a very gentle cleanser like Cetaphil. Let your skin rest!!

Change your lifestyle by exercising more, sleeping early (preferably 8hrs a day), change your diet by cutting out all the junk food, sodas, wheat and dairy ( Diet is a complicated thing so go to the holistic forum theres heaps of good info there) and most importantly reduce the STRESS!! Stress is so toxic and it's just making the matter worse for you. I know its easy just to say oh reduce the stress but seriously you have to feel happy in order for your body to heal.

Theres always heaps of support on this site and if you ever need anything you can just pm me :)

Thanks for the reply people , gorgeously gothic that rele sucks knowing the way this makes me feel now is how you felt since you was 12 :( I remember when I was13 - 14 and had a bad acne flare up but it didn't rele bother me back then I didn't rele know much about it , but it calmed down after a while , when I was working I was working 40 hours a week , I did have a pretty bad diet and always have done i always had 2 sugars in my tea and would drink a good 10 cups a day , eat loads of chocolate , chrisps take aways and working in a bar I was drinking more then I normally would, I would get so stressed at work and the 2 months before I quit my skin was getting to me it wasn't to bad but I tried to bottle it up , to top it all of I fell head over heals in love with someone at work that person was all I could think about my head and hormones were everywhere , that day I woke up and looked in the mirror is the day I had to make a change so I could get my life back I'm on a strict skin routine , I wash my face twice a day with warm water then cold water then apply my savlon cream, steam my face a few times a week, I was addicted to tea and have been for years I now have 1 cup of tea a day without sugar, and I love sugar, I completely cut sugar out of my diet and am on a water diet drink 8 glasses a day , I dont eat junk food chrisps or chocolate any more no takeaways give up weed , drinking alcohol wash my hands religiously , change my pillow case everyday, I'm on my 3rd week of antibiotics Of a 2 month course , I will stick to this even when my acne clears up and I will not give up hope , I miss my old self I miss my good looks I miss the person I fell for , miss my job my mates and most of all my confidence, acne rele is a b**** ! surely making all these changes is going to help it's so hard to have this strict diet but I cudnt push myself to eat any of that rubbish again as I'm paranoid , and I stopped using the creams my doctor gave me as you said was making it worse , acne has been so close to beating me and yes having the tables turnt on you like that is the biggest knock back ever thank u2 for your replys I feel somewhat better that you understand and it's inspiring to see that people have beat it :) I can't wait for the day I look in the mirror see my old self again and can get on with my life it's the only thing keeping me going, thanks again. :D

You're welcome! You WILL beat this if you keep trying. I'm pretty paranoid about my food too so I know how that is. If you look in the holistic forum, you'll read all kinds of stories of people who found their cures. Different things cure different people! Some people can't eat gluten, but it doesn't give me a problem. However, I can't eat dairy and a lot of people in there can. It's just a matter of figuring out what works with your body's chemistry and what the issues are. A test for food allergies or sensitivities might be a good place to start.

It sucks to be so lonely and want company, but be afraid to have it. I'd encourage you to do your best to go see people anyway. Yes, it's difficult, but if it's of any help, I met my boyfriend when I still had bad skin. We've been together six years. He loved me when my skin was bad and I was depressed, and still loves me when I'm clear and happy - doesn't treat me any differently. The right person loves YOU, and will find you attractive and special even with skin problems. I promise. :)

Parts of this sound so similar to what i've been going through the last few months, To suddenly have your life fucked over by this is something that I would not wish on anyone. All we can do is try to cure ourselves of acne as best as possible and attempt to go back to the live we had before matee. =/ Its so hard though, I wish you the best of look.