Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
strax

Fruit Giving Me Major Acne

I don't like having meat as the base of my diet for moral reasons, and any type of starch is terrible on my stomach..

What do I do?

this is silly...clearly not all fruits will give you acne, find out which ones and avoid them. look to veggies for you base

this is silly...clearly not all fruits will give you acne, find out which ones and avoid them. look to veggies for you base

cant get the calories from veggies. if you realize that a pound of brocolli is not even 100 calories, you'd have to eat well over 20 pounds a day.

cant get the calories from veggies. if you realize that a pound of brocolli is not even 100 calories, you'd have to eat well over 20 pounds a day.

if you cant eat fruit (which is a big claim to say you cant eat all of it...have you even tried all of it?) and you can't eat starch or grains, then what is left? meat and dairy...good luck...

and that is false, you can get plenty of calories from veggies...

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_in_vegetables.htm

corns, beans, lentils, potatoes

if you cant eat fruit (which is a big claim to say you cant eat all of it...have you even tried all of it?) and you can't eat starch or grains, then what is left? meat and dairy...good luck...

http://www.freedieti..._vegetables.htm

corns, beans, lentils, potatoes are grains for all intensive purposes. They all hurt my stomach, i could experiment more, but my most recent diet of all fruit, small amounts of shellfish, and oysters, and russet potato's broke me out in deep painful cysts

http://www.freedieti..._vegetables.htm

corns, beans, lentils, potatoes are grains for all intensive purposes. They all hurt my stomach, i could experiment more, but my most recent diet of all fruit, small amounts of shellfish, and oysters, and russet potato's broke me out in deep painful cysts

how do you know it was from the fruit? a lot of people actually break out from shellfish and oysters and seafood in general...

Can you eat sweet potatoes? I felt a lot better after adding them into my diet.

What fruits, specifically, are breaking you out?

I think its either bananas or oranges. One reason I think they are the culprit is because they are the only constant in my diet, during times of flares. I have just tried adding seafood recently, namely oysters for natural Zinc, and mussels as a clean source of protein.

I cannot stomach sweet potatoes, and I do not know how anyone else can either, its a mystery to me. Maybe they cook them differently or spice them different. I CAN stand the purple sweet potatoes, they are alright. Hard to find.

Sounds like you have some issues with your digestive systems. Starches are usually not that difficult to digest. So I would try to figure out why you have problems with them. To give you a bit more freedom with your diet. If not then you are pretty much stuck to eating lot of fat.

im going to just experiment. I do ok with white potatos, yellow and russet... im trying popcorn, i think its fairly benign. Corn in general is not considered paleo, but i don't see whats wrong with it... maybe soups with beans that are well mashed up will be easier on my digestion...

I thought you said russet potatoes gave you cysts?

For me, I can only handle any sort of white potato in very small amounts. Hopefully one day that will change, but it is what it is, for now. I do wonder if you would like sweet potatoes if you had them prepared differently, because I hated them most of my life until I learned to cook them myself. My mom had always made them really plain in a big pan (kinda of like a casserole) with a little cinnamin and sweet stuff on them.

The way I cook them is to brown them really nicely (to where they are sort of carmelized) with very spicy hot peppers, garlic, onion, cumin, etc. I also sometimes make french fries out of them. This totally changed them for me! They are SOOOO good with ranch dressing, too. :)

Just some ideas for you if you ever want to try them again.

If you seem to have problems with those specific fruits, try different ones. Apples, berries, etc.

I cannot stomach sweet potatoes, and I do not know how anyone else can either, its a mystery to me. Maybe they cook them differently or spice them different. I CAN stand the purple sweet potatoes, they are alright. Hard to find.

Because they are incredibly delicious!!! Perhaps you are thinking of that crap from a can, candied yams? Or that marshmallow covered ick people for some reason make at Christmas?

What fruit does everyone here have no problems with?

After the last 2 weeks of eating lots of oranges and bananas i have giant cysts along my jaw that are very itchy... they are whiteheads though

The way I feel on a fruit based diet is night and day better than when i make meat the base of my diet, its not even close. In one respect I almost think i'd feel better eating fruit and taking accutane than clearing my acne with low carb.

is there anyway i can make my diet fruit based without including bananas and oranges? to me it seems like bananas are the closest thing to the perfect human food, so it sucks i have this reaction tio them

After the last 2 weeks of eating lots of oranges and bananas i have giant cysts along my jaw that are very itchy... they are whiteheads though

The way I feel on a fruit based diet is night and day better than when i make meat the base of my diet, its not even close. In one respect I almost think i'd feel better eating fruit and taking accutane than clearing my acne with low carb.

is there anyway i can make my diet fruit based without including bananas and oranges? to me it seems like bananas are the closest thing to the perfect human food, so it sucks i have this reaction tio them

Well, first, you need to eliminate oranges and then bananas separately to see which you have a problem with. My money is on the oranges.

Edited by alternativista

Well, first, you need to eliminate oranges and then bananas separately to see which you have a problem with. My money is on the oranges.

i've been toying with diet for about 3 years now. There was a time when i was doing 30 bananas a day and was still getting acne. So I know that I get acne with those, but oranges may be giving me the giant cysts. I guess I'll sip orange juice tomorrow just to be sure

what else are you doing? what topicals/products do you put on your skin? do you workout? do you sleep good?

Why's that, just because orange is a citrus fruit and not the fact that you have a problem with them yourself?

i've been toying with diet for about 3 years now. There was a time when i was doing 30 bananas a day and was still getting acne. So I know that I get acne with those, but oranges may be giving me the giant cysts. I guess I'll sip orange juice tomorrow just to be sure

I'm not sensitive to bananas but I think 30 bananas a day would break me out too. Bananas have one of the highest sugar contents of all fruit, so if you're eating 30 bananas a day, you're not only getting 2040 calories from sugar alone (and 3750 calories total just from bananas), you're getting 510 grams of sugar, which is anything but healthy. Try one banana a day, maybe in a smoothie! I throw in a banana, some almond milk, and almond/cashew butter. Throw in some spinach or kale (or both!) for a delicious treat with some good nutrient content! Give it time, too, I used to think every little thing I ate broke me out, but as I've gotten more and more clear, I've come to realize there are very few things that break me out just as long as I exercise, eat a healthy diet, and sleep.

Why's that, just because orange is a citrus fruit and not the fact that you have a problem with them yourself?

Or maybe because it's a citrus fruit and she's had a problem with them? While banana and citrus allergies can and do occur, I've heard many more accounts of citrus sensitivity than banana sensitivity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2751771

--interesting study on orange allergenicity

I have trouble with citrus, too. I can see why someone would think it a more likely sensitivity than banana.

Yeah. And because of the number of people I've encountered with the same issue.

I am trying to understand the connection between oranges and acne, mainly interstitial mucus that forms the cystic acne and I just can't understand that connection. The only thing I can think of is either an allergen to it that causes inflammation and mucus from anti-bodies, or that it's acidic, however that doesn't make sense because if it were acidic it would change almost everyone that eats it (i.e. everyone would experience acne and cysts from it).

Perhaps it was having 30 of them a day that was the issue and you have no problem with having a normal one or two.

I am trying to understand the connection between oranges and acne, mainly interstitial mucus that forms the cystic acne and I just can't understand that connection. The only thing I can think of is either an allergen to it that causes inflammation and mucus from anti-bodies, or that it's acidic, however that doesn't make sense because if it were acidic it would change almost everyone that eats it (i.e. everyone would experience acne and cysts from it).

I'm going with allergy due to the not immediate but pretty darn soon response. The thing is, if it was citric acid, I should have problem with lemons and limes. But I don't. At least not with Persian limes. So, on the one hand, I usually don't eat the lemons and limes and have them in small amounts, way smaller than say eating an orange, tangerine or glass of juice. But sometimes I have quite a lot, such as at a Mexican restaurant where I would squeeze lime in my water or tea, in my soup and my chicken fajita taco or other food. And sometimes I do cook with lemon slices and eat them. And I get no reaction. But half a tangerine will cause cysts.

and on the other hand, I can't have key limes, which are like 3 times as acidic, implying that it is the the acid that I react to.

[

I'm going with allergy due to the not immediate but pretty darn soon response. The thing is, if it was citric acid, I should have problem with lemons and limes. But I don't. At least not with Persian limes. So, on the one hand, I usually don't eat the lemons and limes and have them in small amounts, way smaller than say eating an orange, tangerine or glass of juice. But sometimes I have quite a lot, such as at a Mexican restaurant where I would squeeze lime in my water or tea, in my soup and my chicken fajita taco or other food. And sometimes I do cook with lemon slices and eat them. And I get no reaction. But half a tangerine will cause cysts.

and on the other hand, I can't have key limes, which are like 3 times as acidic, implying that it is the the acid that I react to.

haha, that's an awesome answer...I agree, it seems like the amount that is causing a digestive issue or an allergen issue, your response might be smaller than some others. I love oranges and use 2-3 in each smoothie I make and never have issues, I also make lemon ginger blast juice every morning with a whole lemon and never have issues, citrus to me is rather soothing.

i can see why oranges would cause cysts (since for many they do), but how do bananas? I eat a lot of bananas to (About 4-6 a week) and i think it might be breaking me out

i can see why oranges would cause cysts (since for many they do), but how do bananas? I eat a lot of bananas to (About 4-6 a week) and i think it might be breaking me out

eat more cooling fruits apple melons red grapes pear and cleansing fruits plums, papaya, pine apple, mango