Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
matt f

Lifting Weights = Acne

I have consistently found over the past year that when I start lifting weights, my face breaks out in my t zone (not my nose but to the sides of it). Yet when I run, my face remains fairly clear. Many people have posted about this on the net and the general consensus is that it's to do with hormones (testosterone, androgens, whatever...). Sweat is often blamed but I don't believe this is the prob for me personally. Supplements (creatine, protein etc.) also seem to be a cause for some people.

Anyone else found this?

My body never much liked creatine but it really depended on the brand whether or not

it up set my body.

I have consistently found over the past year that when I start lifting weights, my face breaks out in my t zone (not my nose but to the sides of it). Yet when I run, my face remains fairly clear. Many people have posted about this on the net and the general consensus is that it's to do with hormones (testosterone, androgens, whatever...). Sweat is often blamed but I don't believe this is the prob for me personally. Supplements (creatine, protein etc.) also seem to be a cause for some people.

Anyone else found this?

Working out is supposed to help calm down hormones. Supplements can definetly cause breakouts, since they can manipulate hormones especialy testosterone. Thats wierd that working out causes you to break out in your t zone. Perhaps you could apply a bit of benzoil peroxide in those areas before and after work outs. Thats all i got. sorry it isnt much. Good luck with that though, i hope you find something that works.

i highly doubt it.

i had worse acne before i did weights, but im not saying weights helped me. it doesnt make a difference.

but when u starting eating stuff because of weights, like protein powders, made from milk products/whey. that's what makes u break out. after stopping all dairy consumption it helped a lot

I'm a hardcore weight lifter and lifting has never affected my acne. If you consume protein powders, supplements or train with creams on, you may have a problem with that.

I don't know if weights break me out or not, but I know the gainer shake I was taking did. It had whey and added sugars and starches, which can contribute to acne. So I agree with Samlman. The supplements people take when they work out would most likely cause acne.

Now I have heard that short bursts of intense exercise raises testosterone, which could increase acne, but I don't know how true that is. You can do some research on that if you are interested.

Do you supplement with anything matt f? Like whey protein or pre-workout stuff? I know you mentioned it in your OP, but are you actually taking any? I lift weights and simply drink water right before starting, and then afterwards i eat like four or five free range raw eggs and a smoothie with spinach, carrots, a berry mixture, banana, almond milk, acai-blueberry juice, and organic rolled oats. I used to take some cheap whey protein from wal-mart, but since changing my diet i'm off that stuff.

I used to underestimate how much nutrition can help you to gain muscle. I was all about focusing only on whey protein. But since using this well rounded approach to nutrition, including raw free range eggs, i've noticed huge improvements in my ability to gain muscle.

Also I know they sell organic whey protein online that only contains one ingredient (whey protein from free ranging, anti-biotic free, hormone injection free, etc...cows) It's kind of expensive, but it's the only whey protein i'd recommend. And as far as the relation to lifting weights and acne is concerned, i'm not sure. However i think this is a good approach for anyone who is considering lifting weights and trying to gain muscle or get lean

Do you supplement with anything matt f? Like whey protein or pre-workout stuff? I know you mentioned it in your OP, but are you actually taking any? I lift weights and simply drink water right before starting, and then afterwards i eat like four or five free range raw eggs and a smoothie with spinach, carrots, a berry mixture, banana, almond milk, acai-blueberry juice, and organic rolled oats. I used to take some cheap whey protein from wal-mart, but since changing my diet i'm off that stuff.

Nope, no supps.

Anyone else found this?

Working out is supposed to help calm down hormones. Supplements can definetly cause breakouts, since they can manipulate hormones especialy testosterone. Thats wierd that working out causes you to break out in your t zone. Perhaps you could apply a bit of benzoil peroxide in those areas before and after work outs. Thats all i got. sorry it isnt much. Good luck with that though, i hope you find something that works.

Cardio/low intensity exercise helps with hormones, sure. But when you're doing stuff like squats (with heavy weights) you're releasing testosterine and growth hormones which is good for muscle building but probably not for acne.

If you spend a bit of time googling the whole 'bodybuilding, acne, testosterone' then you will find quite a few people who are having problems too.

I liftt 5 days a week and am using creatine and whey and my acne is awful. Ive been lifting for four years and my acne decided to go to a whole new level right now. The one time I took a week off I noticed my face clear up so I do believe lifting does cause acne

I liftt 5 days a week and am using creatine and whey and my acne is awful. Ive been lifting for four years and my acne decided to go to a whole new level right now. The one time I took a week off I noticed my face clear up so I do believe lifting does cause acne

You could maybe try cutting out the supps and see if that helps.

Some people think there's a connection between compound exercises and acne. Squats for example are known, or at least I think they are, for releasing a lot of testosterone and therefore they may be worse for acne than an isolation exercise like bicep curls.

Edited by matt f

I've been lifting on and off for 6years now and it seems like everytime I take chocolate protein supplement I brake out like crazy.

As a matter of fact, I've been taking muscle milk chocolate flavor for the past week and acne is all coming back. -.-

I also take creatine but I noticed that it's not too bad (for me) with alot of water.

what flavor protein are you taking? what brand?

Double Chocolate Gold Standard. I've decided to take a couple weeks off just to get this acne problem fixed so im not even going to need to take shakes. Just eat some grilled chicken and a couple glasses of milk

If anything , try raw protein powder. I like Sunwarrior raw protein powder best.

I do see a lot of people at the gym with bacne.. it is what they drink.. like creatine, whey protein, etc.

Double Chocolate Gold Standard. I've decided to take a couple weeks off just to get this acne problem fixed so im not even going to need to take shakes. Just eat some grilled chicken and a couple glasses of milk

Try a good raw protein protein which is sold on amazon. It is good for you and works better than whey protein isolate. No wonder why I got bigger with not exercising at all. Plant-based is the way to go smile.png

Milk causes problems too.. :X

Edited by EddieE