Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jesegwa

Accutane And Petroleum Jelly

Hey all,

I'm Jason, I'm a boy, and I'm 14. As the topic would suggest, I'm on Accutane. I've been on it for about a month. After the second week, I was clear... Until now. But that is not the point of my post! See, I'm sure we're all aware of how dry Accutane makes us. I'm even peeling, ughh. Actually though, my chin and forehead (which still have acne) are tolerably dry. My cheeks however are irritated by everything the two things that haven't irritated it are petroleum jelly and rose water. So two things.

1. I've heard petroleum jelly is supposed to make you break out, but my cheeks are completely clear and I've been applying it whenever my skin peels for two weeks. Should I continue using it since everything irritates me unless I use it continuously.

2. I'm using cetaphil, which is basically as gentle as gets. I use Neutrogena Visibly Even SPF 30 several times a day, and a night cream with a name that escapes me at the moment.

I love petroleum jelly, AKA vaseline. I put it all over my face. It is supposedly too big to clog your pores. In any event, it definitely helps reduce hyperpigmentation.

Don't use petroeum jelly. Use packing tape smile.png It helps me.cool.png

Packing tape... What a clever method for removing skin flakes. :)

I want to recommend a moisturizer that you likely could use while on your Accutane regimen: DML (http://www.amazon.com/DML-PERSON420539-Moisturizing-Lotion-16/dp/B000052YN7). A derm. recommended it to me years ago, and I had good results from it. (I was not on Accutane.)

I would ask your derm. about it, but I don't see why DML wouldn't be a good option to try while on Accutane. People use it along with all other sorts of topical treatments.

Good luck!

P.I.

Be CAREFUL. I've researched almost every product and the only moisturizer I've found to NOT have acne causing ingredients is Clinique Dramatically Different I think its called. The only wash I have found is the Cerae. Look at this. http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm. :D:D I think this may be my problem! Also this applys to make up. The only make up foundaitn I have found to not cause breakouts is Bare Minerals. That's it! Even clinique has acne causing agents in it!!

Thanks guys, but more mostuirizings a day and JoJoba Oil have mostly solved my problem. I've picked up a more mostuirizing lotion too, and have been careful about sun exposure. But thank you for all the suggestions and I'll certainly try them all.