Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Emma_86

Urgent Please Reply! Thinking Of Skipping College Today.

Hi everyone,

Could use a little help here, I have college today, but I also have a bad breakout on my chin, which, yes I've picked at and even make-up cannot cover it well, I just want to crawl back into bed and shut it all out. My course is only one day a week and I probably will miss quite a lot, but all the info is put up on their website anyway for me to acess from home.

Anyway, what should I do? I think this breakout will be a lot better by next week and this'll be the first week I've missed, so any advice?

I hope people here can relate that sometimes it's just too hard to pull yourself together and just go out and do stuff.

Today is one of those days for me. I'm trying to slowly change my mindset, but it's hard and old habits are hard to break.

Anyway thanks for any advice. :)

There's a lot more to you than your skin. And when you go outside, the only person really judging you is yourself. Everyone in college is too focused on themselves to really give it a thought. Also, you're very pretty judging by your avatar. If anything, people will be noticing your beauty :)

Source(s):

I am a college student doing that on a daily basis.

At its worst, my acne was this exact ratio: 95% acne, 5% normal facial skin. I had classes everyday and I didn't miss a sIngle one. I got my Honours degree at the end of that year.

It wasn't easy, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying, I have a good job now because of my education, I can afford a dermatologist (although I haven't had the best experience with them to be honest), and I do okay for myself. I also happen to be 90% clear now on BP, but I have really bad PIH, and as much as I hate using makeup everyday to mask the marks, I do what I have to for a quick confidence boost because life is so much bigger than acne.

And as a by-the-way, you really are very pretty. Don't make permanent decisions on a temporary situation.

School is cool. LOL

Edited by Nolz

At its worst, my acne was this exact ratio: 95% acne, 5% normal facial skin. I had classes everyday and I didn't miss a sIngle one. I got my Honours degree at the end of that year.

It wasn't easy, don't get me wrong. I'm just saying, I have a good job now because of my education, I can afford a dermatologist (although I haven't had the best experience with them to be honest), and I do okay for myself. I also happen to be 90% clear now on BP, but I have really bad PIH, and as much as I hate using makeup everyday to mask the marks, I do what I have to for a quick confidence boost because life is so much bigger than acne.

And as a by-the-way, you really are very pretty. Don't make permanent decisions on a temporary situation.

School is cool. LOL

I agree totally that education is key and will provide you with the financial backing needed to get derm appointments meds etc which may help in the long term help.

I used to think the same thing about skipping college but in the end but i knew that if i skipped its just a short term solution to the bigger issue which in the long term would do me no good.

Its hard to do go places with lots of people and even friends when your skin is not looking its best, i know how you feel but if you can put a smile on and make it in i reckon at the end of the day you will feel like it was deffo worth going in.

Also think of it this way if you go in for one day thats all you have to do and then you have 7 days off until you go again sounds pretty good to me :)

I skipped soooo much school and I skip alot of work cause of my ACNE....if u tell ur self this will be a one off, I gaurantee it will happen again and again, next time u have a bad breakout....

Hey, I know how you feel, recently I've had the urge to skip things/hide in my room a lot of times but I've come to realise that avoiding going out/doing things makes me more miserable than the thought of people having to look at me. If I stay home, I beat myself up for not going out and I keep obsessing about what I look like, staring in the mirror every ten seconds and so on, and that's not helping. On the other hand, if I do go out, I forget about acne because I have things to do and there are people around me. Most people won't even notice that I have acne or if they do, they don't make nasty comments or don't stare at me, even when I think I look absolutely hidious, it doesn't matter. You shouldn't skip your class today, don't let acne make your life miserable and lonely! I know it's hard (I've had it for almost 9 years now... ) but it's really not a reason to stop living! Imagine, you don't go this time, then another time, and then you'll constantly consider the possibility of staying home... it's not worth it to let life pass you by.

I would go if I were you. I never missed college and I am a senior. There were times where my skin was bad, but I still went. I think I was absents a total of 3-4 times, but not related to skin. I think they were related to interviews and college stuff. Nobody ever said anything about my skin in college. I had no close friends in college anyways and still don't have any. I just prefer not to make friends.. I just wanna focus on my career smile.png

Last semester my skin got worse, but still went everyday. I did end up with a bad grade 'cause couldn't focus. I'm gonna get that A on A&p 2 even though it is harder than A&P 1, but I will try my best.

Edited by EddieE

I would try to find the motivation to go, because when it happens once where you miss work or school because of your skin, it can become a habit. Whenever I get that urge, I try to tell myself "My skin has been worse before, and I survived leaving the house" that always helped me to get my butt moving lol.

I would try to find the motivation to go, because when it happens once where you miss work or school because of your skin, it can become a habit. Whenever I get that urge, I try to tell myself "My skin has been worse before, and I survived leaving the house" that always helped me to get my butt moving lol.

Yeah. To me, school is important so I go everyday. I also go to work everyday. When it comes to party, gym, etc.. I do skip it. I am trying to go everyday to the gym. ;\

I work at UPS, so I just load trucks. I applied for a CNA job and was interviewed and might get more interviews since they're hiring everywhere. I hope my skin stays clear.. so far, I only got like 2-3 pimples the past 2 weeks. I am not breaking out a lot anymore. Hoping I get hired to make a difference everyday and learn new things as a CNA ^^

Edited by EddieE

I let things slip with my last job and I eventually got fired. If I had let my education slide, I guess I would have got bad grades and totally messed up whatever plans I might have had. Lesson learned, I made sure I fixed my problems with my skin as best I could. From there, it's about learning to accept the things we can't change and learning to love ourselves. Try your best not to let you skin define you, Emma, because it really is a slippery slope. Believe me. I know I'm late on this so I hope you didn't skip in the end. If you did, my advice would be to try and find a better way to cope with how your skin makes you feel so that you can battle through because it's not worth letting your education and future potentially suffer for something that will pass. :)