Notifications
Clear all

Extremely Dry Skin

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/18/2012 9:45 pm

Hi. So, I've been on the acne.org regimen for 3 months now. Originally, I started out by only using bp once a day for fear of dry skin. Then I moved up to using a pea sized amount twice a day. Then I worked up to the full amount. I was up to using 2 pumps, but now I only use a pump and a half because I don't really need 2 pumps, and i'd just be wasting product. Anyway, my skin has been peeling, scaling, dry and flaky for months now. I'm too scared to go out and buy a moisturizer, because it's summer, and i need one with SPF in it. I have about 3-4 different sunscreens that I'm too scared to use on my face. Right now, I'm desperate to find SOMETHING that actually works, that lots of people who use the regimen like as well. I hate this dry skin, I get fine lines on my forehead and my skin peels every time I move it. It's better than pimples, but it's still pretty bad.

I've heard that Cetaphil has good moisturizers, but I don't know if it has SPF! I've heard that Olay has a great sunscreen... Just one good sunscreen, which apparently I can't find in drugstores. I'd really like some help, and I'll probably end up writing to the owners of this website if I can't find anything soon. This will be my last attempt at asking this message board for help...

PS. I am very cautious about trying new things with my skin, for fear of, well, anything. I've ALWAYS been hesitant to use any weird chemicals on my skin. PLEASE HELP!

BY THE WAY I DO MOISTURIZE MY SKIN 2x PER DAY, I USE THE ACNE.ORG MOISTURIZER & ADD 9-12 DROPS OF JOJOBA OIL

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 06/18/2012 9:58 pm

First, I think you should try and reduce the dryness/flaking, since that seems to bother you. Have a look at this topic: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/162645-problems-with-dryness-or-flaking/

If you're looking for a sunscreen, check out the EWG database:

Sunscreen + moisturizer

Sunscreen SPF 15-30

Sunscreen SPF >30

FabianL liked
MemberMember
(@kin92)

Posted : 06/18/2012 9:59 pm

Maybe your best bet is to apply the BP like every other day only at night, I do this and it keeps the dryness in check. If you have pimples you can spot treat them and let the rest of your face heal

MemberMember
(@sepsi)

Posted : 06/18/2012 10:58 pm

It sounds like BP in the regimen products is damaging your skin barrier function. It's known to happen with BP and many Proactiv users complain about it. Because the skin barrier function is damaged the skin lets too much moisture to escape the skin, thus leading to dry skin. This also makes your skin far more prone to infections (and probably also acne).

Studies seem to indicate the moisturizers can repair the damaged skin barrier function. So you should definitely use some. Leaving the skin like that is not going to help you.

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 06/19/2012 12:54 pm

I only apply BP in the morning, maybe you should cut down on how often you are using it.

MemberMember
(@rush25)

Posted : 06/19/2012 6:03 pm

How are you going to know if something works for you if you're too hesitant to try different products? Not every product works for every person. If you're expecting dozens of people here to all agree on the same product that will work best for YOU, I'm afraid you will be disappointed as it's not likely to happen. You just have to try things for yourself and hope for the best.

Dan recommends using Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer Sensitive Skin SPF 15. I'd recommend starting with that one.

http://www.acne.org/...ucts-guide.html

And Cetaphil does make moisturizers containing SPF; there are Daily Moisturizers with SPF 15 and SPF 50. There is also one called Cetaphil DERMACONTROL Oil Control SPF 30, but it's geared towards people with oily skin (I recently purchased this one but haven't started using it yet). You can find more info on their website.

MemberMember
(@skintuition)

Posted : 06/19/2012 10:09 pm

Maybe your best bet is to apply the BP like every other day only at night, I do this and it keeps the dryness in check. If you have pimples you can spot treat them and let the rest of your face heal

thanks, I'm a fairly new regimen user, and I think that part of my problem is technique. I tend to be rough with my skin, but I try my best to be gentle. Spot treating is hard for me because I don't "break out", these little whiteheads just appear everywhere. Thanks for your advice though, I might try that!

How are you going to know if something works for you if you're too hesitant to try different products? Not every product works for every person. If you're expecting dozens of people here to all agree on the same product that will work best for YOU, I'm afraid you will be disappointed as it's not likely to happen. You just have to try things for yourself and hope for the best.

Dan recommends using Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer Sensitive Skin SPF 15. I'd recommend starting with that one.

http://www.acne.org/...ucts-guide.html

And Cetaphil does make moisturizers containing SPF; there are Daily Moisturizers with SPF 15 and SPF 50. There is also one called Cetaphil DERMACONTROL Oil Control SPF 30, but it's geared towards people with oily skin (I recently purchased this one but haven't started using it yet). You can find more info on their website.

you're right, I just have to try things and hope for the best! I have to put more effort into actually finding things for myself, but thanks for the recommendation!

MemberMember
(@ryanglug)

Posted : 02/10/2013 2:45 pm

I have been on the regimen for atleast 6-7 weeks and i have seen no improvement. That said i have not been using a full fingers length more like 2/3 but surely there would of been some improvement by now. My skin is very dry and flaky when i use the full amount. When i apply it before i go to sleep it also seems that every time without fail my skin will be flaky when i wake up. I drink decent amounts of water each day and use plenty of jojaba oil someone please tell me what i am doing wrong for there to be so little results 6-7 weeks along.