Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

28Yr Male With Extremely Oily Skin And Acne....

Please help, I am a 28 year old male, almost 29. I have had acne since I was about 14. It is mild, with flare ups one to 2 weeks out of the month, but my skin is so oily, I wash it and 15 minutes later, it looks like and oily slick.. I have been on several different antibiotics throughout the years, and nothing has worked. I have been to 5 different dermatologist's and my latest one has taken me off of cephalexin, and now my scalp, face, back and chest have started to break out bad. She put me on Epiduo for my face, but that only works a little on my face.. I have oily skin all over. Do you think it is time to suggest Accutane?? I really am sick of dealing with this... or does anyone have any suggestions that really work, please???

Thank you!! Jay

You may wanna try a different cleanser for oily skin like a salicylic acid. Also an exfoliant and toner is important and they help with oiliness.

There's a good discussion of this at the holistic health section. We talk about how hormones affect sebum production and the dietary changes that usually help. Please check it out here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php/topic/316966-has-anyone-overcome-oily-skin-through-diet/

You can also try some topical treatments. One reason for oily skin is that acne-prone skin converts testosterone to DHT too actively. DHT is very potent in increasing sebum production and skin cell growth. It also hyperactivates the immune system in the skin to react far too strongly to bacteria. All and all, too much DHT is very bad for the skin.

There are things called 5-alpha reductase inhibitors that inhibit the T to DHT conversion. Green tea extract is one. Gamma linoleic acid can also work, you can use evening primrose oil for this. Saw palmetto should also work. For more details, please see this: http://www.acneeinstein.com/oily-skin-remedies/