Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zelik

did bloodwork for accutane, debating....

Well, I finally bit the bullet.

Being that my family is from a holistic medicine background, the concept of taking prescription accutane was pure blasphemy. There was no way that my family would allow me to take it back in HS when my friend who had much worst skin took it. He now has perfect skin. I still have acne. Some on my body, some on my face, bleh.

I trashed my previous dermatologist. He's a great guy, I'm sure, but his snazzy expensive office and lack of real concern for my condition really just aggravated me. I've tried all his solutions and I'm finally done.

I'm going to take accutane.

I've waited. I've tried everything. Retin-A, Retin-A Micro, vectrin, benzamyacin, BP, benzaclin, tetracyclin, peels, beta lifts, clear light(blue light). I've spent no less than $12000 over the last 10 yrs.

I'm really scared though. I've read about the hair loss, the dryness, the breakouts, etc. Those are all bad if temporary but seriously damaging if permanent. However, none of these things scare me as much as possible damage to reproductive functions. No one has written much about it on the net. Sure, getting pregnant on accutane will cause problems, that's a no brainer. But what about after taking accutane? I'm a male and I won't be having kids anytime soon but I may marry in a few years and may want to have kids in a few years after that. What if accutane permanently affects my ability to have kids or have normal kids?

That really freaks me out. More so than the hair loss, the chapped skin, the acne on my face.

It's something I've been tossing and turning in my sleep about. I'm a slight worry-wort and I know the usual answer "it's rare and uncommon."

Has anyone found any articles regarding permanent affliction of reproductive function, ability, or genetic structure in offspring?

I was reading on the internet and found an interesting article (i lost the link) discussing the importance of acne as a health indicator. In the article, a dr states that acne is your body warning you that your body is not healthy and to adjust lifestyle, diet, etc. Sounds interesting, sounds very much like what my family would tell me. Using accutane would be "shutting off" the indicators and not really fixing the other problems in your body that are causing acne. An interesting metaphor he uses compares taking accutane to, "disconnecting your doorbell so that you won't be annoyed by the ring but at the same time unable to be notified by your neighbor that your house is on fire." This sounds very true to me but I've tried (i think) everything I can!!

I guess I can also leave this to fate: maybe my bloodwork won't qualify and I can't take accutane. Maybe I'll be stuck w/this forever.

I'm curious...is there a poll on here of how many ppl who took accutane and recommend it? Anyone on this forum have horror stories? Anyone think I should just "live with it" since I am so neurotic?

I have had severe acne before but now it's moderate/mild. Sometiems my skin has no new breakouts at all for a week or two and then it breaks out with a few pimples, usually small but the occasional cyst. The acne is scarring my skin. My new dermatologist tells me "if you were my brother, I'd recommend accutane to you. Or, I can make tons of money off of you by having you undergo lots of skin 'treatments' and peels." She mentions that the "European method" of accutane is taking lower doses for 9 months instead of 5. Anyone hear of that b4?

Blah, sorry I wrote so much, I just had so much bottled up inside me. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for replying =)

Anyone who says acne is an indicator your body is not healthy is an idiot... including that doctor. People starve themselves, torture themselves, and do anything and everything they read on different diets and nutritions and they don't work. It's cruel to publish something like that. I'm a supporter of accutane - as I'm on it now and it's the only thing that has worked for me. There are literally hundreds of posts on this message board regarding peoples trials and errors while on accutane - I suggest you spend time reading through the archives and older messages to learn more about the drug. I think you'll be happy to see how many people are having success on it. Good luck with your decision.

Hi,

I know where you're coming from. I felt very similar. I also come from a health-nut family. They didn't even want me to go to the dermatologist so for years I suffered with acne with NO prescription treatment at all. My parents always said it must be something wrong with your body...i.e. too much stress, not enough nutrition, too little exercise.

I'm by no means perfect health-wise but I do a pretty darn good job compared to other people as far as trying to eat healthy and getting exercise. I even started meditating for the stress to see if it would help my skin.

I too am scared of all that you mentioned about Accutane!!! Especially being female, I was worried about the possible long-term effects on reproduction...I mean just looking at the little warning labels on the package is enough to scare the bejesus out of anyone.

But I also have been getting scars and will have most of them for the rest of my life because I didn't get treatment. I'm now on Accutane (for 2 weeks) and haven't had any problems except for mildly dry lips. I still worry about the side effects...BUT over 2 million people have taken this drug already. I'm sure many of them went on to have kids and live normal lives, but you don't hear a peep out of them because they didn't have problems.

I'd say, keep reading and doing your research. I bet you'll find plenty of "horror stories" on the net but make sure you balance it out with all the stories of people who took this drug and thought it was the best thing they've ever done.

~Gypsy

I was reading on the internet and found an interesting article (i lost the link) discussing the importance of acne as a health indicator. In the article, a dr states that acne is your body warning you that your body is not healthy and to adjust lifestyle, diet, etc. Sounds interesting, sounds very much like what my family would tell me. Using accutane would be "shutting off" the indicators and not really fixing the other problems in your body that are causing acne. An interesting metaphor he uses compares taking accutane to, "disconnecting your doorbell so that you won't be annoyed by the ring but at the same time unable to be notified by your neighbor that your house is on fire." This sounds very true to me but I've tried (i think) everything I can!!

Hi,

I totally understand where you are coming from. My parents are into homeopathy and naturopathy. I have put off accutane for 3 years now. And, now my acne is severe. I totally agree that acne is a sign, telling us that something is not right inside. The problem is: what is this sign trying to tell us? The truth is we don't know and we may not know for a very long time why people get acne. I mean, what is the warning sign a warning of?

At the end of the day, we can still live healthy lives and try our best. But, in my opinion, I can no longer have this warning signal flashing without turning it off. It's causing and has caused me severe distress, sadness, depression and I will no longer back down from a fight.

I hope you make the right decision for you. I start next week, accutane that is. I don't want to, trust me I'm terrified, but I can't sit back and do nothing either.

Let me know how you're doing.

zelik - just wanted to tell you that I know a young man who took accutane twice and now has a beautiful wife, a son and a set of twin sons who are healthy and perfect. No need to fret about fertility. I suggest you focus on the many success stories there are out there.

Listen Im in my second week now and as I type this my skin is so inflammed from my intial outbreak its actually sore. That said, I'll tell you a line that my derm said to me:

"Its the best thing we have against this"

That is good enough for me. Since nobody else addessed it I will tell you Accutane (for a male) has no bearing on having kids.

Knicks: Has your initial breakout been really bad??? How badly broken out were you before? Do you find that the lesions you had got worse or that you got many new ones? Please let me know. You would be helping me out greatly if you could smile.gif

Knicks: Has your initial breakout been really bad??? How badly broken out were you before? Do you find that the lesions you had got worse or that you got many new ones? Please let me know. You would be helping me out greatly if you could smile.gif